I think I'm fully accustomed to the Band

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
This thread has no purpose other than to relay something interesting/funny that happened to me in regards to the Band. I just went to go check my watch and I knew it was around 11:30-11:45. When I looked at it, I saw 8:28 am. Mind you, I don't start work until 8:30. For a brief second I was so confused, until I realized that I was looking at my watch in the wrong orientation. It was actually 11:43. :eek:rly: It only took 4 days for me to automatically go to looking at my watch/Band in the different orientation.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. I've had mine since Saturday, and am having a tough time getting used to it. I have a thin, bony wrist - it just isn't comfortable. I just changed arms today, am hoping this makes a difference.

I am curious - do you wear it up at your wrist, or down the arm an inch or so? Also, is it tight, or a little loose? I wear it an inch or so below the wrist, and have changed arms and tightened it one notch today.

Any recommendations?

RiftPoint

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. I've had mine since Saturday, and am having a tough time getting used to it. I have a thin, bony wrist - it just isn't comfortable. I just changed arms today, am hoping this makes a difference.

I am curious - do you wear it up at your wrist, or down the arm an inch or so? Also, is it tight, or a little loose? I wear it an inch or so below the wrist, and have changed arms and tightened it one notch today.

Any recommendations?

I've had mine since Saturday night. It definitely takes a few days to get used to it, I believe there was a Neowin article recently with the band team leaders stating that from their experience developing it it takes people about 3 days to get used it. Today has definitely been the first day that it hasn't really bothered me at all. It can still be annoying with long sleeves sometimes... the rubbery surface of the band doesn't always play nice with long sleeved shirts. But as for sitting on my wrist it's become fairly normal for me, and I have somewhat boney arms as well. I played with position a bit over the last few days and mine has come to sit about 1/2 inch from the protuberance of my wrist joint and tight enough it doesn't shift around unless I go out of my way to move it.

So, just give it a week and see how you feel is the best advice I can think of...

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

Any recommendations?

The lack of curve on the screen is the most annoying thing about the form factor of this Band. It makes it so wide for those who have tiny wrists (like me). I am wearing a size small on my left wrist and even on the very tightest setting, it still slides up and down my arm some. It can even slide over the bone that juts out on the outside part of my wrist. I can get a more snug fit on my right wrist, but I'm used to having a timepiece on my left side, so am wearing it there for now.

I've always worn watches, so it didn't take long to get used to, but I do feel that it's a bit wide for my personal liking.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Any recommendations?

I've had mine since Saturday night. It definitely takes a few days to get used to it, I believe there was a Neowin article recently with the band team leaders stating that from their experience developing it it takes people about 3 days to get used it. Today has definitely been the first day that it hasn't really bothered me at all. It can still be annoying with long sleeves sometimes... the rubbery surface of the band doesn't always play nice with long sleeved shirts. But as for sitting on my wrist it's become fairly normal for me, and I have somewhat boney arms as well. I played with position a bit over the last few days and mine has come to sit about 1/2 inch from the protuberance of my wrist joint and tight enough it doesn't shift around unless I go out of my way to move it.

So, just give it a week and see how you feel is the best advice I can think of...

RiftPoint said almost exactly what I was going to. I got mine Saturday night, didn't open it until Sunday morning. Yesterday was the first day that I was comfortable with it. It doesn't bother me with long sleeves, as long as I don't try to cover it. It is too big to be comfortable underneath anything. As for tightness, I'm the same as RiftPoint, it is just tight enough so that the HR sensor is in complete contact with my skin. But it is loose enough that if I need to reposition it I can without loosening it. I had to move it to my non-dominant hand, which means my watch is now on my dominant hand. That was the biggest hurdle for me. I still catch myself looking at my band instead of my watch. I also find it most comfortable between the bony nub on my wrist and my hand. Same place as you would wear a watch or bracelet. And the screen facing inwards, opposite of how most people wear a watch. But really, what works for me will probably be different. Just move it around and fiddle with the tightness until you find something that works. I'm to a point now that I don't even really notice it.

eyecrispy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I really notice it if I have my wrist resting on my leg or some other surface because the flat-as-a-pancake screen doesn't hug my wrist. I really hope the next Band addresses that.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. I actually am finding it to be worse today. I don't understand how people are wearing it between the bony nub on the wrist and the hand- about the same place you'd wear a watch. When I tighten it in that position, I can't move my hand around.

I'm really bummed about the physical form factor. I have a Lumia, and love the functionality of the band. Unlike many here, I have no complaints re the tiles, the workout function, notifications, etc. I love it. Just can't get used to this big honking thing on my wrist. It especially seems strange when the point of receiving notifications on the wrist is that you can unobtrusively see who sent you a text, email, etc. Oh well. I'm just really disappointed. I wanted to love this thing, and I think the software is great. Hopefully version 2 will come in additional form factors.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, how small are you people? Based on the measuring chart, I measured my wrists with a caliper and had to order the large. And I don't consider myself as having "fat" wrists.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm wearing a "medium" band, and have the clasp set in the middle. I just don't think this thing is designed for my wrist size/shape.

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand how people are wearing it between the bony nub on the wrist and the hand- about the same place you'd wear a watch. When I tighten it in that position, I can't move my hand around.
In my experience, that is the least comfortable way to wear the Band. (I actually found that position somewhat painful.) Try it farther down on your wrist. I wear mine loose enough that I can move it toward my hand and just clear the bony nub. But it's still tight enough on my arm that it stays put unless I move it.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I actually am finding it to be worse today. I don't understand how people are wearing it between the bony nub on the wrist and the hand- about the same place you'd wear a watch. When I tighten it in that position, I can't move my hand around.

I'm really bummed about the physical form factor. I have a Lumia, and love the functionality of the band. Unlike many here, I have no complaints re the tiles, the workout function, notifications, etc. I love it. Just can't get used to this big honking thing on my wrist. It especially seems strange when the point of receiving notifications on the wrist is that you can unobtrusively see who sent you a text, email, etc. Oh well. I'm just really disappointed. I wanted to love this thing, and I think the software is great. Hopefully version 2 will come in additional form factors.

Yea, I can definitely see where it wouldn't feel comfortable for everyone. My only last suggestion is that maybe you have it too tight? I find that it is restrictive if I put it on too tight. But the way I have it set now, I only notice very minor restriction when I put my wrist at very extreme, abnormal (in everyday use) angles.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, its my weird wrists I guess. If I loosen it up so that it is not restrictive, the thing just slides down my wrist so that its an inch or so below the wrist. Once that happens, its pretty awkward with shirt sleeves, etc. And if I have to mess with my shirt sleeve when notifications come in..... kind of defeats the purpose. Might as well inch my phone out of my pocket.

Oh well, I'm gonna give it a few more days with it about an inch below the wrist, but I don't have much faith .....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills