Band Lot and Serial Number Analysis

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the bottom of the box and decided to see what I can learn from the numbers on it. This is manufacturing nerd stuff. So not many of you may find it interesting.

Model Number is known as 1619. Nothing to learn from that.

The lot number on mine is 1444. Based on what I know about the manufacturing process, that tells me my Band was built in 2014 Week 44. That means it was built the week of Halloween. So it takes three weeks for Microsoft go build up enough stock to reopen the online store. It also tells me Microsoft was still building Bands when they announced it and probably just underestimated the demand. But they are also saving up units to send to the online store and are not just sending devices directly to their retail outlets.

The serial number doesn't provide much information that can be figured out unless Microsoft has built 3.7 billion of these things and are just sitting on them. The serial number has the same number of integers as the same my Xbox, Kinect, and Surface, but there are not any commonalities between the numbers to gleam any useful information out of them.

How companies assign serial numbers vary. Some just go in order, others hide important information in them such as date of assembly, etc. But there are no obvious number series that can be figured out in my serial number. I have a 4x repeating character that makes it hard to figure out what the numbers mean. So there isn't anyway to tell how many of these have been built.

The last number is 4M5-XXXXX. That looks like a control number for the manufacturing process. I couldn't think of anything those first three characters would mean but they could be randomly assigned. The last five appear to be assigned in order (which is why I redacted them). Again, not much can be gleamed from it.

They are built in China. So any device built today will likely take a month to make it to California where mine was shipped from.

BADM0USE

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is telling everyone that there are limited/depleted stocks a month before the holidays. Lets just say that if they suddenly start having stocks by mid December that this has all been a marketing scheme to push demand for the product. I love the MS band and I payed premium for it to get it over here to Australia. It's just sad that MS lack confidence in their product that they would have to resort to silly marketing schemes.

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
mine has 1443 so the week before halloween. curious to know the serial numbers how different they are for what lot numbers and may give a clue on how many are out there. pm me if anyone is interested in this so serial numbers aren't out in the open

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
1444 on a medium and 1445 a large - both picked up by my friend for me whilst over in Atlanta from the UK last weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos