I will wait for the second or third generation Band

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I am in love with the MS band and I've been going to the store to buy it more than 10 times already :amaze: but every time I hold it in my hands I always let it go. My reasons; the SP1. I got the SP1 two weeks after it came out and I haven't regret it, it is an amazing product and with W10 on its way it will be almost the perfect machine. But not long after the SP1 came out MS announced Surface 2 and then SP3 showed up. I really felt little down because I rushed to buy the first generation of the Surface family. So, I do not want to make the same decision with the Band. I do not have any prove of this but I believe MS is testing the waters with the current Band to come up with a better Band hopefully soon. The GSMA Mobile World Congress is coming soon and I believe MS will announce mid and flashing phones.

Do you believe that MS will use the occasion to announces a new Band on the GSMA?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This soon? I kind of doubt it but I'm with you about waiting on the second gen Band. This one IMHO is far too thick around the bottom of the wrist. I had a Jawbone that was just as thick and when resting my hands to type, that slight pressure becomes very uncomfortable.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
With that type of thinking, you'll never buy one. There is always a new version coming out.

I bought my Band knowing that it probably will be outdated within 12 months or less. But, my time horizon for the Band replacement is a 12-18 months so its all good.

The way I look at all wearables is that they are all 1.0 now. Just recall the early cell phones and look where we are now, regardless of brand. Wearables will go through the similar transformation.

The question is are you willing to go without while waiting for 2.0, 3.0 and so on. Many are, and many are not.

Red River

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The reason why I buy MS Band is not because of its perfection. It is not perfect at all. However, it is by far the best on the market.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The question is are you willing to go without while waiting for 2.0, 3.0 and so on. Many are, and many are not.

Part of that - are you wiling to wait to start a fitness program? While I won't go so far as to predict dire consequences for waiting a year, there is a consequence none the less.

Yes, may Band as got me to walk more.

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Most technology has a short life cycle, it seems even if you brought a 2nd gen device you'd be upset if Microsoft dropped a 3rd gen one 6 months later.
I personally base my purchasing decisions on if I want something bad enough, whether it be 1st or 10th generation.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You guys have many valid points. I am willing to wait for the second generation I am not afraid to buy something new but we all know second gen. Is always better and third is the best. Hopefully I do not have to wait too long; fingers crossed.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Band knowing that it probably will be outdated within 12 months or less. But, my time horizon for the Band replacement is a 12-18 months so its all good.

^^^This.

I used to feel like the OP -- like I've mentioned on earlier threads, this is exactly like the developmental timeline for cell phones. So I think takeaway message #1 is it's a new technology. Message #2 is that it will probably be a few more iterations before fitness trackers work "reasonably well" (whatever that means).

Finally, for the last ten years and the vast majority of devices I buy, I give them a 2-year lifespan. Exceptions are desktop computers, large TVs and computer displays, cars, maybe also digital cameras, etc. But for cell phones, tablets, remotes, routers, printers, and dozens of other things in the $100-$400 range, I buy them expecting to replace them within a few years. I'd love to know what the industry data look like (i.e., actual turnover lifetimes) -- though heaven knows the way things are marketed (especially cell phones), we should be turning everything over once a year!

So anyway the conclusion is maybe: in another decade, when each of us has owned our fourth or fifth activity tracker, we'll look back and laugh at the dinosaur that the Band v1.0 was. The main benefit I'm getting from it right now is a huge leap in awareness about my body and how I use it on an hourly basis, and for that it does the job exceptionally well.

​-Matt

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Part of that - are you wiling to wait to start a fitness program?............Yes, may Band as got me to walk more.

I hope no one equates Band=fitness program. The data from Band is a monitor and nothing more. I've been working out regularly for years before there was any fitness wearables. Too many hours working at the desk and in meetings necessitates physical activities somewhere.

Realizing that guided workouts are good but not required. Glad to hear it motivates to do more so that's good. But the notion of not doing anything unless there is a wearable is not good.... just saying.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear it motivates to do more so that's good. But the notion of not doing anything unless there is a wearable is not good.... just saying.

"If you can't measure it, you can't improve it."

In my case, it's enough to move "desire" to "action". It's always there, it's always measuring. Recording everyday, and not relying on me to record the days I've been good. If I don't like the numbers, I have to do something about it. I agree it's not necessary, and that a motivated person may not need it. But it may be the nudge that it takes.

I've noticed other people buying other fitness bands and using the numbers to help motivate them. So I do think there's a correlation. Of course, I bought it because I wanted to improve, so the effect shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm not saying it will magically turn a couch potato into a fitness fanatic.

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This "sports" or "fitness" band lacks good battery life and isnt waterproof. Thats reason enough to wait for 2nd or 3rd generation.

I had the moto 360 which looked pretty, but still i think its too early for a smart watch.

I feel sorry for Apple (no i dont) the apple watch will be so outclassed and obsolete within 6 months. .

The band could use more controls (wheres my remote music app) wayyyyy better battery life and FFS be able to shower or swim with it. And please dont fall apart.

I have a feeling that V2 is going to be more focused on fixing what they did wrong with v1. Which means you dont have to wait long

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It's all about how long is someone's product cycle. If OP's cycle is something like 12-18 months, getting a gen 1 device should be OK. But if it's anything longer than that, being stuck with a gen 1 device, which are generally riddled with unforeseeable issues, can be a load of pain.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't know where your getting your information but the band is not riddled with issues Had mine since day 1 and been very happy with it. You just keep waiting we really don't need your negative attitude here.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
It's all about how long is someone's product cycle. If OP's cycle is something like 12-18 months, getting a gen 1 device should be OK. But if it's anything longer than that, being stuck with a gen 1 device, which are generally riddled with unforeseeable issues, can be a load of pain.
I agree. As I've mentioned before, this is precisely how smart-phone ownership played out for me: did the standard 2-year wireless contract upgrades, and by my third phone everything "just works."

@bksalt, I don't think the comment was specifically about the Band but 1st gen devices in general. In the case of the Band, I've been very pleasantly surprised that a lot of the 1st gen problems are missing, e.g., GPS lock is fast and solid, HR is good for a consumer-grade (vs. medical-grade) device that has to work in a wide range of conditions (plus IR technology is relatively new), I get decent battery life, etc. On the flip side there are some strange problems like peeling rubber and bubbling metal -- FWIW mine looks like the day I bought it -- but for those who have these odd problems, it may end up being due to a specific cause (e.g., body chemistry).

Overall, I don't have the feeling with the Band -- like I've keenly experienced with other 1st gen devices -- that MS pumped out something totally half-baked with the implicit message, "Hey early adopters, help us fix this thing!" They've sometimes promoted it as proof-of-concept but it actually does a good job. I actually wonder if the proof-of-concept may be a hedge for them to say, "Hmm, let's test the market and see if there's a reason to keep building this thing."

-Matt

Last edited:

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Also this is not like a regular device, in the sense that the more people that use and upload data to it the better the software becomes to give insight on your health. Which is lacking but that's just because its not enough data coming in from NUMEROUS sources. The possibility is limitless, this product will always be in a state that its learning and will forever be in beta.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb