microsoft health apps

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
so a friend showed me the apple health on their iphone today. microsoft has some catching up to do. seeing the apple app made me wonder why basic things like being able to journal blood pressure readings or blood sugar readings aren't already built into one of the microsoft health apps. i also thought it was pretty coop that the apple app can tell the difference between walking and going up stairs.

anyway, anyone know when the next major update will be released? anything before 10 is released?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thought I'd mention (you may already know!) that Microsoft's HealthVault is quite versatile, and includes things like BP and blood sugar (and also menstruation, which I haven't figured out how to work yet! LOL). Some of your Band data flow (oops, I made a pun) into the HealthVault (you have to sign in and link them first), including your steps, exercise, and sleep data. Admittedly, it's more a repository than an "intelligent insights" type of website, and there isn't a phone app, but it's not bad. (I understand it's "true" purpose is a warehouse for all your personal medical/health data.)

-Matt

Last edited:

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is a MS HealthVault app on iOS or Android, but there is a Windows Phone app. True that it is basically a repository for all things health related. The website even lets you import records and lab results from your doctor provided they export their data in the correct format.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Here's how it looks from my corner of the universe:

- Health app: runs on all three phone platforms
- Health Dashboard: webpage, detailed Band data + "insights"
- HealthVault*: webpage, takes some Band data, general depot for health/medical data
- MS Health and Fitness: Windows (and WinPhone?) app, not connected to the other three (afaik)

*EDIT: HEY, just took a peek and YES it looks like there's a phone app version of HealthVault for iOS and WinPhone. Guess us Android guys got left out in the cold!

I've seen widespread complaints that H&F is NOT integrated with the rest of the health ecosystem, though of the four components, it seems to have the best nutrition/food database. I've also seen speculation here that MS might kill it -- it seems unlikely that they will eventually make it work with the other three (which is stupid, no?).

​-Matt

Last edited:

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's how it looks from my corner of the universe:

- Health app: runs on all three phone platforms
- Health Dashboard*: webpage, detailed Band data + "insights"
- HealthVault: webpage, takes some Band data, general depot for health/medical data
- MS Health and Fitness: Windows (and WinPhone?) app, not connected to the other three (afaik)

*EDIT: HEY, just took a peek and YES it looks like there's a phone app version of HealthVault for iOS and WinPhone. Guess us Android guys got left out in the cold!

I've seen widespread complaints that H&F is NOT integrated with the rest of the health ecosystem, though of the four components, it seems to have the best nutrition/food database. I've also seen speculation here that MS might kill it -- it seems unlikely that they will eventually make it work with the other three (which is stupid, no?).

​-Matt

It would really be nice if MS would unify all these into one entity. The fragmentation seems so unnecessary.........well, I guess I can sort of understand keeping HealthVault separate since it is meant to be a sort of repository and interface between you and your health provider(s). But at a minimum, bringing the Health web dashboard and MS Health and Fitness together would sure make for a powerful tool!

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
"
i also thought it was pretty coop that the apple app can tell the difference between walking and going up stairs.
"

​Not really, walk around in an elevator going up and it thinks you are going up stairs

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
"
i also thought it was pretty coop that the apple app can tell the difference between walking and going up stairs.
"

​Not really, walk around in an elevator going up and it thinks you are going up stairs
LOL I want to do that just to see the strange looks I'd get! Does that mean you actually tried it? :shocked:

-Matt

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd mention (you may already know!) that Microsoft's HealthVault is quite versatile, and includes things like BP and blood sugar (and also menstruation, which I haven't figured out how to work yet! LOL). Some of your Band data flow (oops, I made a pun) into the HealthVault (you have to sign in and link them first), including your steps, exercise, and sleep data. Admittedly, it's more a repository than an "intelligent insights" type of website, and there isn't a phone app, but it's not bad. (I understand it's "true" purpose is a warehouse for all your personal medical/health data.)

-Matt

i've looked at healthvault before, but not in awhile. will revisit it today, thanks!

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
"
"

but it will also track you when actually going up actual stairs, which *is* pretty cool. my microsoft band is pretty cool, but it does lots of glitchy stuff...i still think it's pretty cool, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6