Sleep restoration

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone get anything other than poor sleep restoration? Every 6 weeks or so I get 'moderate' but the rest of the time it's poor. It does not seem to matter how many hours I get! Is it me or the Band?:shocked:

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never actually gotten "poor". I was sort of wondering the opposite of you and whether or not everyone else was getting "good". I get the occasional "moderate" but generally, even if I don't think I slept particularly well, I get "good".

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
My last dozen sleeps were 6 Good, 4 Moderate, 2 Low. Not in that order, mixed during that time.
Not sure how things are calculated here, and times I don't think it gave right score, but overall I believe its more accurate than I even give it credit and it knows more then I.

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
For me also: poor most of the time and a moderate from time to time to cheer me up... It really would be interesting to know how this is evaluated as I don't see any rule or logic 😵

Via Tapatalk de mon splendide Lumia 930

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I've also been wondering about how they work out sleep restoration as well. I mostly get "poor" have had a couple of "moderates" in the last few months but never a "Good". Hopefully someone will know what's going on here.

Regards

Infinidim :asleep:

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
What I noticed is that the band monitors the wakeup better since a few updates but in the same time my relatively Good Sleeps before went to Bad after

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine are usually moderate, occasionally 'good', and once or twice 'optimal'. Don't think I've ever had a poor, even though often I only get 3 1/2 to 4 hours per night! I do tend to sleep soundly, though.

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Ah the Elf who's handling this in MS must be reading this forum. For the first time in weeks... Good! Thanks mate, feel much better this morning 😁

mv388158

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Based on what I see from Mark Barbieri's data the calculation for sleep restoration is not that clear and therefore you would not know how to improve it. I'm having a hard time with all the sleep data and how to turn it into actionable tasks that improve my sleep. Based on the above data if Mark wanted to improve his sleep and he changed something like stop drinking coffee in the evenings what metrics would he monitor to verify that eliminating coffee improves his sleep?

davidthetall

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Here's the definition from the MS Health website:

Sleep restoration
The Microsoft Health app measures sleep restoration by analyzing your heart rate variability (HRV) when you track your sleep using the Sleep Tile. HRV represents your current state of balance between stress and recovery.

When stress and recovery are in balance, HRV is high. Your band calculates sleep restoration by measuring your HRV along with how long you slept and how restful your sleep was.

Sleeping less, even when stress and recovery are in balance, reduces your sleep restoration score. Sleeping longer but with low HRV also reduces this score. You get the best sleep restoration score when you sleep longer and with high HRV.

-davidthetall

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
For the sleep data of mine I have been reviewing, all I can say is it would seem.
The lower the resting heart rate reported the better the sleep restoration, but in relation to when the restful sleep is. The later in the night the better for the reported score.

mv388158

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Davidthetall that helps explain it. To increase sleep restoration I need to do the following:

1. Increase Restful Sleep (REM)
2. Increase duration of sleep
3. Decrease my HRV

Anyone have a good article on how to improve your sleep restoration based on these 3 metrics?

Regards,
MV

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
David looking up the explanation would have saved me analyzing my own data, but I can see how it applies to my observations.

I'm now wondering if the thresholds between restoration levels are a set number, or if it varies based on individual sleep patterns. I often get "Good" restoration with more than 4:45 of actual sleep when my resting HR is in the mid 40's.

The "Good" sleep in the top picture is a pretty typical night for me. The picture below is my most efficient sleep ever with lots of restful sleep, but it was an afternoon nap where my heart rate didn't drop much.

Attachments

• SleepGood.jpg
    SleepGood.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SleepLow.jpg
    SleepLow.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 4

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The rating appears to be based on how quickly your heart rate drops after pressing the sleep button. If you heart rate is already low - for example you've been quietly reading - there's not enough of a drop to be considered "good."

Or at least that explanation correlates with my readings.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am still at a loss as to how to improve my sleep. As I said before, I do not feel any better after a 'moderate' than I do a 'poor' nights restoration. My Fitbit seems to report a good sleep on most nights.

mv388158

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I will second the vote I am at a loss. That being said I will test out the heart rate drop by accelerating my heart rate and then hitting the sleep button. If that does effect my sleep restoration I don't think it adds much value.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes