band is falling apart. Thinking of getting Fitbit Surge

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the Band shipped from the US shortly after it's release. The inside covering is slowly peeling off and the rubber outer layer is starting to come away. I have a fitbit one and I am now thinking of getting the Surge unless anyone knows Band mark 2 is due anytime soon. Has anyone switched? If so is there anything you miss from the Band?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the Band shipped from the US shortly after it's release. The inside covering is slowly peeling off and the rubber outer layer is starting to come away. I have a fitbit one and I am now thinking of getting the Surge unless anyone knows Band mark 2 is due anytime soon. Has anyone switched? If so is there anything you miss from the Band?

Yes, accuracy. I had an awful time getting accurate hr tracking with my Surge. Worked fairly well for running, but terrible on the treadmill, cycling, or strength training. Chronically low readings and lots of drop-outs. It may be arguably better looking than the Band, and might last longer, but in my opinion, that's all it had going for it. I've several different trackers, and for my money the Band has the best solution for 24/7 wear, and is pretty good for activity tracking. There are better activity trackers out there (think Garmin/Suunto watches), but they lack for all-day hr tracking. One possible exception would be the Garmin VivoSmart, which is one that I have no experience with.

Yes, the inner rubber battery covers are pretty well shot on mine, and its getting beat up, but its still working fine. I'm hoping version 2 will improve on the original. Without benefit of any inside info, I'd be looking for the new version to launch before the end of the year......at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about the same, but then i went to the fitbit forums...
it seems the surge has a few problems of its own, including a "falling apart" problem...

NinerJet9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had both and from a durability aspect the Surge is probably better. They both have pulses and minuses which I ultimately preferred the superior screen quality, notifications, and size of the Band to the Surge. I did prefer the Fitbit app over the Band app. Fitbit has a great social media aspect, calorie burned vs expended, water intake and compatibility to a Bluetooth scale for weight tracking. Tough call but you really can't go wrong with either one.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Just be aware that if you use a Windows Phone, the compatibility with the Surge is limited. It doesn't support notifications from the phone (like incoming SMS), and the "always on" Bluetooth connection works poorly. That being said, I kept my Surge and returned the Band because I just like the watch form factor better.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Band 2 myself - hoping that MS has learnt some new tricks to keep the Band 2 a functional for as long as possible (no breaking apart etc.)

NinerJet9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My band is starting to exhibit all of the classic symptoms of wear and it's making me anxious for the for the Band 2.

On a side note two of my co workers went w the Fitbit and it would be really nice to have the social aspect and challenges the Fitbit offers.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the Fitbit One as I have been using Fitbit for years. It is very motivational! The One does not measure heart rate though, so if I were to retire the Band the Surge was mt alternative choice.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same quandary of Band two or something else and the look of some of the pictures of wear on the band were a bit off putting.

I ended up getting a couple of Fitbit Charge HR's and the scales, that's where it gets interesting having more than one device putting in data, and the charges can be got for ?90 from Amazon, a big saving over the Surge or the MS Band especially if you need two of them.

The heart rate tracking is fantastic.

Do like the Fitbit software and the fact that you can "Compete" with friends, I have already had two steaming arguments with the wife about cheating :wink:

I am looking at integrating the whole package with MS Health but still thinking about that, the advantage would be if I went to the Band from the Charge my data would carry on in one place (You can still use Fitbits software day to day).

Got to say I am now a big fan of Fitbit stuff, but haven't ruled out upgrading to the Band 2 maybe after Xmas.

NinerJet9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just went to the MS store and showed them my issues w the MSB. 10 minutes later I walked out w a new unit. Outstanding support. I'm in for the long haul of they continue that type of service to the consumer.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Just went to the MS store and showed them my issues w the MSB. 10 minutes later I walked out w a new unit. Outstanding support. I'm in for the long haul of they continue that type of service to the consumer.
Thanks, mine is about to bite the dust as well. Looks like I'll head in for a replacement at the end of the week!

BTW, did you have your receipt with you?

-Matt

NinerJet9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, mine is about to bite the dust as well. Looks like I'll head in for a replacement at the end of the week!

BTW, did you have your receipt with you?

-Matt

No, they didn't even ask me for it. They did charge me $10 for a new Zagg that they applied for me. I know others have gotten that free but that's not worth complaining about IMO.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I hope it's a sign of outstanding customer support (note: earlier reports of in-store experiences were less positive) and not an indication that "they're giving 'em away like hotcakes" to make room for Band 2! Either way I'm a bit torn...do I slap the (hoped for) replacement on my wrist, or try and sell it for ~$100 and use it to buy #2? Given that the announcement/release of the next generation is a month or two away, I'm tempted to wait it out!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine's getting pretty ragged, but I'm gonna try to hold out until V2 hits the street!

I'm afraid mine won't make it that long!

attachment.php

-Matt

Attachments

• BandBreak.jpg
    BandBreak.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members