Lackluster Band Marketshare & Switching?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just read this article and thought I'd post it here your drive discussion. Basically, the piece talks about the lackluster response the public has for MS band and the MS ecosystem in general. Now to be clear, I don't own a Band (although I've been thinking about it). And i don't necessarily see the purpose of a "smartwatch" which is what MS, I think, is trying to avoid with the Band line (more fitness device then anything).

But the article does do a good job of addressing something that has been mentioned here in another forum post recently. Namely, that WP's main problem is its inability to connect consumers to a variety of services and not merely an "app gap." An example from the article being how Apple and Google will connect consumers to exclusive services in cars as early as next year.

So the question is does change anyone's mind in terms of staying on board the MS train? Does it make you consider switching in the near future? Why it why not? What does this say about MS future?

How Microsoft's Windows Phone Is Falling Even Further Behind -- The Motley Fool

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe there is such a thing as an unbiased commentator, but Motley Fool is way more biased than most. They make stock picks, and they make commentary that is designed to manipulate behavior that benefits their stock picks. They are rooting against MS to succeed. Their comments have no impact on me.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, everybody has their own agenda. I think MS is well aware that the Band is somewhat of a 'niche' product, and so far they haven't attempted to really compete in the smart-watch market with it. My hope is that this will continue with version 2, and they will continue to focus mainly on fitness tracking, with some smart-watch features thrown into the mix (like notifications, music control). I'm just not interested in a smart-watch that also happens to do a little fitness tracking.

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, everybody has their own agenda. I think MS is well aware that the Band is somewhat of a 'niche' product, and so far they haven't attempted to really compete in the smart-watch market with it. My hope is that this will continue with version 2, and they will continue to focus mainly on fitness tracking, with some smart-watch features thrown into the mix (like notifications, music control). I'm just not interested in a smart-watch that also happens to do a little fitness tracking.
Completely agree. I don't want a smartwatch and don't want more things to do on my watch. I just like that the band just a few things and notifications. Hope they continue to improve on what it does now and hopefully a smaller size.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the black sheep here -- well, I don't own an Apple Watch so I'm not *that* bad -- but the idea of a well-executed smart watch appeals quite a bit to me. However, it's all new tech and sometimes I'm an early adopter (Band) and sometimes I'm a waaaaaay late adopter (smartphone, FB, gmail, etc.). In the case of smart watches there's a huge gap between what I'd like and what's out there. So I'm happy to wait a few more years.

On the other hand...the Band is a VERY welcome addition to my life. It's an excellent blend of "information on my wrist" (e.g., texts and notifications) plus the ability to work out the way I normally do and get lot's of useful data from it. Plus all-day HR monitoring. Plus sleep monitoring. Plus steps. Etc.

I think we all need to sit down and be quiet until Band 2 is released. If MS is smart and releases in small quantities, people will go berserk like they did last year and MS will do just fine. On the other hand, if they way overestimate demand and flood the market, nobody will want one. I'm not saying it's ethical or fair...but low supply = high demand.

-Matt

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Going slightly OT, but sometimes MS are so far in advance, then they put the brakes on and then play catch up, an example here is something I mentioned in another thread and so far have had no response at all, MS Health Vault it came out before most people had come up with the gadgets to work with it, and now the gadgets have gone past what HV can cope with and other software catching up and in some places going past it, but you think "Well it's a lot more professional and I can use it as an archive and if I get other gear or a band later on, it can act as a master repository/database that could possibly act in conjunction with the health profession", but it looks a bit like Windows Media Center now, slightly dead.

MS have sometimes got to take stuff by the horns and at other times think things through a bit more so they don't keep on developing stonking kit that gets left behind or misunderstood (I give you Kinect, fantastic kit, too good for most people, misunderstood by most and MS don't even make it work with "Hello".

I too hope the Band 2 is a success, I would love to own one if it's as good as it's rumoured to be, but for 90% of what I needed I reckon the Fitbit's Charge HR's are well worth less than half the cost of the band.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I too hope the Band 2 is a success, I would love to own one if it's as good as it's rumoured to be, but for 90% of what I needed I reckon the Fitbit's Charge HR's are well worth less than half the cost of the band.
I'm curious what leaks and rumint you've come across. Not to imply that Dan Rubino is our best-placed source, but a post of mine from a few weeks back left me with the impression that the biggest change will be a rounded display, and otherwise the rest will be minor tweaks:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...tion-microsoft-band-released.html#post3159250

Hopefully Rubino is wrong and we'll see more revolution and less evolution!

Also, regarding trackers like the Fitbit...I think as an activity monitor alone the Band is maybe a few notches above "meh". It's the fact that it's a "smart" tracker (e.g., extended display for the smart phone) that gives it added value.

-Matt

Last edited:

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm the black sheep here -- well, I don't own an Apple Watch so I'm not *that* bad -- but the idea of a well-executed smart watch appeals quite a bit to me. However, it's all new tech and sometimes I'm an early adopter (Band) and sometimes I'm a waaaaaay late adopter (smartphone, FB, gmail, etc.). In the case of smart watches there's a huge gap between what I'd like and what's out there. So I'm happy to wait a few more years.

On the other hand...the Band is a VERY welcome addition to my life. It's an excellent blend of "information on my wrist" (e.g., texts and notifications) plus the ability to work out the way I normally do and get lot's of useful data from it. Plus all-day HR monitoring. Plus sleep monitoring. Plus steps. Etc.

I think we all need to sit down and be quiet until Band 2 is released. If MS is smart and releases in small quantities, people will go berserk like they did last year and MS will do just fine. On the other hand, if they way overestimate demand and flood the market, nobody will want one. I'm not saying it's ethical or fair...but low supply = high demand.

-Matt
I enjoyed the v1 a lot. Well worth it for me. Panos Panay, who was running the surface line was recently put in charge of all premium devices at MS, including the Band. What that tells me is that the Band will continue to get better, smaller, and generally eliminate the weakest links.

What I like about the Band is that the sleep monitoring, the fitness tracking, and the info on the wrist are all about equally well done and equal in value to me. If a person just wanted a smartwatch or just fitness tracking there are cheaper/better options, but if you want a hybrid, the Band nails it.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I enjoyed the v1 a lot. Well worth it for me. Panos Panay, who was running the surface line was recently put in charge of all premium devices at MS, including the Band. What that tells me is that the Band will continue to get better, smaller, and generally eliminate the weakest links.

What I like about the Band is that the sleep monitoring, the fitness tracking, and the info on the wrist are all about equally well done and equal in value to me. If a person just wanted a smartwatch or just fitness tracking there are cheaper/better options, but if you want a hybrid, the Band nails it.

++This++

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site

Also, regarding trackers like the Fitbit...I think as an activity monitor alone the Band is maybe a few notches above "meh". It's the fact that it's a "smart" tracker (e.g., extended display for the smart phone) that gives it added value.

Life with Band now going on 8+ months. And my wife now has had her Fitbit Charge HR for 4 months.

My original reason for selecting Band (was a gift but I picked it out) over others was all the sensor capabilities and GPS. Also the visual display size and utility. Even if Charge HR was out, which it wasn't yet, I still would have and would today pick Band over it.

Having said that, from activity tracking perspective, I find both to be quite good and does what is intended to do. In some area, such as weekly reporting and social aspect, Fitbit is miles ahead of MS. But the screen size and the actual feel/texture of Charge make it really a fitness tracker and no more, whereas Band has more to offer.

I've come to like getting my txt and notifications pushed to Band. I wish the screen was bigger. I don't like the rubber band, wish it had a stainless steel option. We were on a vacation in Europe this summer and during a heat wave through Italy, it finally got the dreaded rubber peeling over the batteries. It was a combination of humidity causing more sweat than usual, coupled with prolong period in sweaty hot condition. I've used superglue to stop the peel and for the most part mitigated the rubber falling apart by catching it early on.

So, will I get the Band 2 - probably not. But not for the reasons that one might quickly think of. Our entire household is on Apple ecosystem, so the Band simple doesn't go far enough. MS Health app has an iOS version but its an island by itself. It doesn't bridge to Apple Health, nore does MS Health app provide equivalent dashboard or integration with other apps and HW.

We use iHealth blood pressure monitor as well as their newest HS6 Core Body analyzer that reports into Apple Health app, along with myfitnesspal, and any other app to get a total picture. Now, I have to use Strava to link the duration of my workouts, and manually enter the calories burned each time - its a hassle to say the least.

It also doesn't mean that I'd get the Apple Watch either - I don't like the looks of it. I'd like something bit more thin and smaller as I prefer a regular watch and do wear both. It just needs to integrate better with the Apple ecosystem.

The good news is that this space is going to be very active by many companies so who knows, the next great gadget (you're already great Matt!) might be just around the corner.....

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It was my wife who was wanting a fitness tracker. she wanted one that did that plus heart rate and sleep. Her birthday was about a month ago so I was looking at the FitBit charge HR. After seeing the price of it, $150, I went to look at the Band. For $30 more at the time, not only would she have all she wanted but also more features built to work with her phone. So I took her to best Buy and she looked at what they had and decided she wanted the band. I now have one as well and we both love our bands.

I think Microsoft's biggest problem causing lackluster performance is their lack of marketing. I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a Windows Phone or the Surface. I have never seen one for the Band. They need to get these things seen. Everyone I have shown my Band to think it's the coolest thing, especially Windows Phone users and even they didn't know the Band even existed.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It was my wife who was wanting a fitness tracker. she wanted one that did that plus heart rate and sleep. Her birthday was about a month ago so I was looking at the FitBit charge HR. After seeing the price of it, $150, I went to look at the Band. For $30 more at the time, not only would she have all she wanted but also more features built to work with her phone. So I took her to best Buy and she looked at what they had and decided she wanted the band. I now have one as well and we both love our bands.

I think Microsoft's biggest problem causing lackluster performance is their lack of marketing. I can't remember the last time I saw a commercial for a Windows Phone or the Surface. I have never seen one for the Band. They need to get these things seen. Everyone I have shown my Band to think it's the coolest thing, especially Windows Phone users and even they didn't know the Band even existed.
They have been doing more with the Surface but NOTHING for the band. Perhaps they want to keep expectations low. I'm getting the next one should be much better and manufactured with more feedback from MB1. Again, I honestly don't want them to copy Apple watch. They should stay to their core vision of helping people do more or whatever it is now. The Apple watch model, while good, doesn't fit within that scheme.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So, your post is to see if the article you read on Motley Fool is the kind of story to decide to abandon the Microsoft Ecosystem or not? For me personally, I decide when I do what I do. I never crowd source what I do. That's a isheep move.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The MSFT Band was just a niche device, MSFT didn't know how it would be received in a crowded sport-band market. This was obvious during the roll-out last year, demand far out-stripped supply, and it was limited to the US. It will be interesting if and when MSFT rolls out 2.0 how they position it in the market, and how much marketing muscle they put behind it. It's been interesting to see the marketing effort supporting Windows 10.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So, your post is to see if the article you read on Motley Fool is the kind of story to decide to abandon the Microsoft Ecosystem or not? For me personally, I decide when I do what I do. I never crowd source what I do. That's a isheep move.

Yep. Im sticking with WP. But i know a topic like this is what people talk about when they think about leaving. At least I've seen several posts on here around these themes.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just read this article and thought I'd post it here your drive discussion. Basically, the piece talks about the lackluster response the public has for MS band and the MS ecosystem in general.
No, it's more about the lackluster response to Windows on a phone. A completely different question. The Band works with Android, Apple and Windows, so what happens to Windows doesn't really affect the Band.

No, my biggest disappointment with the Band is that they haven't expanded the ecosystem to include other sensors like the workout machines in the gym, or weight scales. It's not the Band's fault, but MS Health gets a "Meh" rating from me. It was fine as initially released, but it's growth has been stunted by lack of vision. I was hoping it would be the app that would break down the walled gardens of fitness and health. It does tie in with some other apps, but it's got a long way to go.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
No, it's more about the lackluster response to Windows on a phone. A completely different question. The Band works with Android, Apple and Windows, so what happens to Windows doesn't really affect the Band.

No, my biggest disappointment with the Band is that they haven't expanded the ecosystem to include other sensors like the workout machines in the gym, or weight scales. It's not the Band's fault, but MS Health gets a "Meh" rating from me. It was fine as initially released, but it's growth has been stunted by lack of vision. I was hoping it would be the app that would break down the walled gardens of fitness and health. It does tie in with some other apps, but it's got a long way to go.

True, but really think that is more a result of competitor's unwillingness to 'buy in' to MS Health. They really led the way by developing the first truly cross-platform fitness tracker, working across the Windows, IOS and Android ecosystems. But are companies like Garmin, FitBit and Jawbone anxious to tie their devices into a competitors app? The question would be "what's in it for us", and I don't imagine MS's good will extends to payment for the privilege of tying in......or perhaps they are just too far apart on the numbers. There are certainly opportunities to share through .tcx or .fit files, there just hasn't been enough demonstrated benefit (or pressure from customers) to push companies into doing it. Producers of fitness trackers don't seem to be against tying in to companies like Strava, Endomondo, MFP, etc.; but they aren't direct competitors. Nor are they perceived as having pockets as deep as MS, where people can smell the money.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
But are companies like Garmin, FitBit and Jawbone anxious to tie their devices into a competitors app?
No, but I'd think there are a number of other people who might be realistic enough to realize that they are not positioned to be the "master fitness app" and will partner. Things like weight scales, and other monitoring equipment.

mv388158

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Love my band.

Reason 1: GPS for Biking
Reason 2:: Sleep monitoring
Reason 3: Under $200
Reason 4: Real time display and stats
Reason 5: It motivates me to Bike

My only complaint is I cannot talk and create notes, not that I want this but then I could tell my brother in law on our bike rides how my $180 band out performs his Apple Watch that does not have a GPS and he payed over $1000.

The band has the potential to do everything and more the Apple Watch can do but will microsoft open it up fully on ios? I don't think so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077