Goodbye Band 1 - But what now?

mpjones

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
After going through 3 Bands in 1 year.
1st - Battery Cover peeling
2nd - Strap errosion
3rd - Dead touch screen
Microsoft agreed to authorise the Amazon return - result!

But I need/want a new wearable.
What does everyone recommend, am I right to be scared of the Band 2, how does it hold up.
Should I go 3rd party?
Should I wait for a Band 3?

Alex Temple

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Have a look at the Xiaomi Band 2, much cheaper, not as useful, don't think it'll work on Windows Phone tho. Have to wait for reviews and availability...

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just gave up on Fitbit, me and the wife had Charge HR's, they both had to be completely reset on a couple of occasions, my strap went and my wife's went into needing a reset every week.

Software was good, but I am not sure many of the devices are up to any sort of hard use, I got a band 1 when they sold them off, but once that wears out I think I will wait until the tech (Well the hardware) grows up a bit more like the old Timex watch I bought my dad when I left school 40 years ago and the thing still works.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Just gave up on Fitbit, me and the wife had Charge HR's, they both had to be completely reset on a couple of occasions, my strap went and my wife's went into needing a reset every week.

Software was good, but I am not sure many of the devices are up to any sort of hard use, I got a band 1 when they sold them off, but once that wears out I think I will wait until the tech (Well the hardware) grows up a bit more like the old Timex watch I bought my dad when I left school 40 years ago and the thing still works.

Yeah, once my Band 1 dies - which I'm sure isn't far off - I'm just going to wait. These fitness bands are not nearly hardy enough. They're so fragile. I don't abuse it. I don't throw it into mud or salty ocean water. I don't put it in a toaster oven or a freezer. I wear it normally, exactly like how I used to wear my old Casio watch. Wipe off the sweat, keep it clean, don't drop it or torture it, but it is falling apart. I'm on my second Band 1, and that thing is falling apart again, just like the one it replaced (battery covers peeling, clasp is loose and jiggles, rubber strap is rubbing off into little chunks). My sister and her boyfriend both have Fitbit Charge HRs, and both of them had to get Fitbit to replace theirs because they were falling apart so bad. Fitbit didn't even question them or ask them to send in their old Fitbits, and that makes me wonder if the company gets a lot of these requests. And I think we've all read about the Band 2's band splitting issue.

I'm really hesitant on buying another one of these things, regardless if it's a MS Band, Fitbit, Garmin, Samsung Gear Fit, or whatever. They're not exactly cheap, and they don't seem like they can hold up to their expected manner of usage. I'm just going to go back and wear my old Casio and use my phone as a pedometer.

b52hbuff

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My Band (V1) just died. I got a Band on release day. MS Complete got me the two replacements. First replacement was when battery cover peeled off. Second was because metal around HR monitor corroded in a way that caused a rash on my wrist.

My decision was to go with a Band V2. I'm already used to the UI on the Band and Application. It gives me continuity in the data I've collected.

My first observation is that at least the charging port isn't on the inside of the band. So it looks like they learned at least one lesson from V1.

Maybe I'll come to regret my loyalty, but so far I can't wait to see how it does.

And I agree with what others have said the current generation of fitness trackers/smart watches don't seem to be as robust as watches.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you get a Band 2, make sure it is lot 1608 or better... Some have had issues with the rubber on the band cracking, but supposedly lots 1608 and newer have thicker rubber. There was an article here about it... Also, there is a rumored Band 3 to be announced, possibly with a Fall release date.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Anybody manage to get their defective/damaged Band 1 replaced with a Band 2 (even if it included an upgrade fee)?

That's how I got my Band 2. Went to Microsoft store last November when my Band 1 stopped charging reliably after eleven months. They asked if I had MS Complete and gave me a new Band 2, no other questions or charges.

Posted from my Nexus 5X

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
My 3rd Band 1, which I've used for less than a month is faulty also, keeps turning off regardless of charge status. Went online and it says my warranty period is expired. Out of the 1-year warranty period, I've been able to wear a Band for about 6 months only due to shipping back and waiting for a replacement. Called customer service and they said, "nothing we can do, it's out of warranty". Now I'm stuck with a non-working Band. Terrible product that should not have been released to the public, definitely not for the $199 that I paid.

My wife now has the Band 2. Hoping she has better luck with that. I'll do without until they are more reliable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077