Will Cityman be available in Canada?

SolShadows

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I am a huge fan of the windows phone but not a single one the new phones has been released in Canada. Now that Cortana is supposedly coming to Canada, does this mean that the Cityman will also be available in Canada? I would think it's really dumb on Microsofts part not to release it in Canada.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Bell, Telus and Rogers have a pretty poor record on supporting Windows Phone here in Canada although we did finally get the 830 on at least 2 carriers.
Frankly I hope that Microsoft just offers the phones in their store (online and physical) right from the start, that way we can still get our hands on them, regardless if the carriers want in or not.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If the MS store does NOT carry them in Canada, I am finding one unbranded and unlocked somewhere. I am not having a carrier branded, locked phone again. I am on telus, and have an AT&T 1020. and I will be never owning a branded phone again.

SolShadows

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
When I went to the Microsoft store in Michigan to buy an unlocked one they said I couldn't because it was exclusive to certain carriers. And to be honest, I don't think Canada has a Microsoft store. They sort of forgot we exist.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Steve, I'm with ya. I'm sick of dealing with all the carrier BS up here. I'm done dealing with Carrier loaded bloatware as well as being tied to one carrier or another when they're so quick to screw with us.

Sol, I'm not sure whereabouts you're from but I know that I am lucky enough to have a physical Microsoft store within about an hour and a half of where I live here in Alberta. I usually end up buying online but I will definitely be going to the store to hold one of the new phones before I purchase it.

SolShadows

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, When the Cityman comes out, if it is not available in Canada, would I would be able to buy it unlocked from the Microsoft store in the US, because the employee told me its not possible but I'm quite positive that it can be done.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look like you can ship to Canada from the Online US store, however if you're close to the border and there is a physical store nearby then you could pick one up in person or if you have friends/family in the states, ship it to them then have them ship it to you. Many ways of getting your hands on one.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Steve, I'm with ya. I'm sick of dealing with all the carrier BS up here. I'm done dealing with Carrier loaded bloatware as well as being tied to one carrier or another when they're so quick to screw with us.

Sol, I'm not sure whereabouts you're from but I know that I am lucky enough to have a physical Microsoft store within about an hour and a half of where I live here in Alberta. I usually end up buying online but I will definitely be going to the store to hold one of the new phones before I purchase it.

Im in Newfoundland. I do have a house in Florida so I am good, just ship one there from the US store. Just waiting. My wife and I are both getting the new phones. She want the smaller 950, and I am going to the 950 xl. I also may toss in a new budget phone for when I am off roading and stuff so I don't trash my good phone.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I saw on Twitter Microsoft Canada said they just opened a store in Vancouver B.C. and as far as I am aware there is a Microsoft Store in the Downtown core for Toronto Ontario.

So they should be able to ship across Canada, if the phone comes to Canada. I would say chances are good Rogers will have the 950 XL in limited numbers.
You may have to do what I did with my 1020, buy outright and then pay 3rd party to unlock. As I use a Rogers 1020 on Wind.

SolShadows

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I was originally going to get the Lumia Icon but I was told as a Verizon exclusive it couldn't be unlocked because of some radio differences between them and other carriers? idk. I'm guessing Microsoft is ending their exclusivity with Verizon though.

amoodie

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll also be able to get the phone on Expenses.ca. They will certainly have it for shipping in Canada.

Not to worry, if you really want the phone, you can get it in Canada.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I was originally going to get the Lumia Icon but I was told as a Verizon exclusive it couldn't be unlocked because of some radio differences between them and other carriers? idk. I'm guessing Microsoft is ending their exclusivity with Verizon though.

I have the Icon, works perfect on Rogers LTE. No unlock needed.

PEI Nick

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Yeah Canada has a more than one Microsoft store. A really nice relatively new one is in a mall in North York.

Last edited:

PEI Nick

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It does work great I agree. I used it on Bell. The only problem I have is if you upgrade the software beyond a certain point you lose the functionality of picture messaging, because the app that made it work, no longer works.

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I am a huge fan of the windows phone but not a single one the new phones has been released in Canada. Now that Cortana is supposedly coming to Canada, does this mean that the Cityman will also be available in Canada? I would think it's really dumb on Microsofts part not to release it in Canada.
the Lumia 640 XL LTE and Lumia 535 Dual SIM are both available unlocked in Canada from microsoftstore.ca

When I went to the Microsoft store in Michigan to buy an unlocked one they said I couldn't because it was exclusive to certain carriers. And to be honest, I don't think Canada has a Microsoft store. They sort of forgot we exist.
there are eight Microsoft Stores in Canada. You can order from microsoftstore.ca and get free shipping

View all stores - Microsoft Store Canada

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3