Who is planning to buy HoloLens?

dikko57

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Many people don't realise that HoloLens is a pc replacement. If you don't worry about pc applications, you shouldn't worry about HoloLens.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
How will it complement a PC? It is a stand-alone Windows 10 PC in its own right. Obviously it depends on your definition but I can see this replacing my tablet PC, as well as doing many things I currently do on my laptop. It is not going to replace a workstation but for many people it could easily be the only PC they'll need.

1titon

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Im not spending $1000 on a new version of virtual reality just because they came out with a new version under a new name. And just to be clear we?re talking about having to wear a really dorky uncomfortable visor unit on your head that covers your eyes. I cant believe microsoft is introducing this is wont go anywhere its garbage. & they're misleading people by saying its new untethered hologram technology . Its not untethered if you're wearing a dork visor that hides your eyes & makes you look like a robot. & I dont consider it a true hologram if I need to look through a visor to see it, a true hologram doesn't require a visor , & the image should be 3d & appear in our world visible by the naked eye. True hologram technology exists but is still being kept secret by the military.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Im not spending $1000 on a new version of virtual reality just because they came out with a new version under a new name. And just to be clear we?re talking about having to wear a really dorky uncomfortable visor unit on your head that covers your eyes. I cant believe microsoft is introducing this is wont go anywhere its garbage. & they're misleading people by saying its new untethered hologram technology . Its not untethered if you're wearing a dork visor that hides your eyes & makes you look like a robot. & I dont consider it a true hologram if I need to look through a visor to see it, a true hologram doesn't require a visor , & the image should be 3d & appear in our world visible by the naked eye. True hologram technology exists but is still being kept secret by the military.

True hologram technology currently requires high power lasers and/or a "rendering medium," making it expensive and cumbersome. A headset that weighs and sits like a motorcycle helmet is an acceptable compromise.

Also it's not virtual reality, but augmented reality. VR replaces your entire field of view with something else while the Hololens simply superimposes something over top what you can already see.

Last edited:

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow... I'm super late to this one, but as a wearables addict and a Google Glass owner, I have to say I'm intrigued by Hololens. Many of the reviews mention a limited field of view, so I'm interested to see how this actually works for myself.

The demos that Microsoft has been showing are quite stunning! Compared to the reviews we've been getting from those that have actually tried it though, they seem to tell a slightly different story (again, the FoV issues). I just hope Microsoft isn't setting everyone up for some disappointment and dooming the Hololens from the start. Personally, I would love to see this technology flourish and evolve into successive iterations/products.

driazen

Jul 18, 2007
Visit site
Looks like none of us have to worry about price or budget now... Sigh

<link would be here not enough posts, see front page of site>

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Limited field of view is not a dealbreaker. Processing speed and movement control is critical. Most people turn their head if they want to look at something that's not directly in front of them. If you already wear glasses, you are very much aware that what's directly in front of you is better focused than everything else.

oxey

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
probly not and less its rily cheap the MH v1 will be throught with problemes and it will not be for us. its geared to big biz.

if you do buy one at first it will be a lot of fun and instring, but because of the FoV it will quickly become one of those things that sit's in the courbed and clects dust.. only to be pulled out when people come over to show off...v2 may change that but who know's they only way i see it working is if the price point is so high that only big biz can buy them.

this will help cover the cost of develemp. and v2 will be for us. but as it stands now that FoV will make it inpractal for most people to use...

but i'm shore the sheep will still be lining up around the block the night befor it comes out with no idear what there actaly going to do with it

Ashles

May 6, 2015
Visit site
probly not and less its rily cheap the MH v1 will be throught with problemes and it will not be for us. its geared to big biz.

if you do buy one at first it will be a lot of fun and instring, but because of the FoV it will quickly become one of those things that sit's in the courbed and clects dust.. only to be pulled out when people come over to show off...v2 may change that but who know's they only way i see it working is if the price point is so high that only big biz can buy them.

this will help cover the cost of develemp. and v2 will be for us. but as it stands now that FoV will make it inpractal for most people to use...

but i'm shore the sheep will still be lining up around the block the night befor it comes out with no idear what there actaly going to do with it

Maybe someone will develop some form of typing tutorial for it...

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My friend is testing HoloLens and says they're way better than Google Glass. I'd buy a pair but it'll depend of the price
While that may yet prove to be so, I think the two device's are targeted at two totally different use cases and have entirely different objectives from the get-go.

No one expects you to walk around town with your Hololens on after all. :)

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yea maybe, but my friend's walking around the town recording usual things :D So in your opinion? What's the main destination of using HoloLens?
In Microsoft's own demonstrations, the Hololens has always been used in a building, doing work, playing a game in your living room, or video conferencing with a colleague. Time will tell, I'm excited to see what comes of this interesting new tech from Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte