Who is planning to buy HoloLens?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Now we know the price, at least for the Developer's kit: $3000.

That is way out of my league but I will get one when it's more affordable.

Maybe time for a new poll.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I imagine they are going to have to reduce this price at least a little bit if they want it to become used by anyone other than corporations & elite enthusiasts.

Then again that is just the price of the developer edition, the consumer one could be different.

Austin Doupe

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I went to the Demo in Los Angeles last month and while my initial reaction was disappointment (due to the field of view) I quickly adjusted and didn't find it a deal breaker. I do still think the field of view and the price tag limit it to business uses. But, that is what I was interested in using it for anyway! :D

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
1. Price
2. Software choices

1 will determine 2, if 1 is low, then plenty of 2 will come out...

In a nutshell, If there is plenty of software and when it hits retail, and hits under the $500 mark, sure I will get one but, if it's $2500+, lots of software choices WONT be available(devs go for most customers, high price wont have as much) so chances are VERY high I wont buy one...

Greenfire999

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
I feel it is way too soon to purchase anything AR related. It's almost like when VR just released, it took quite a long time for the ball to start rolling.

Belle_Celeste

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
It would definitely depend on the final price (not the current ~$3000 developer one) upon release.

Having said that, I don't usually buy "new" technology when it first comes out either. I rely on user feedback+reviews before I can make an informed decision. Not to mention for a new product like this, probably a year later they'll release a newer model with all (possible) issues fixed.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
Would love to, but sadly am losing more and more faith in MS every day. $3000? Still? After 3 years? Development-only version? Still? After 3 years?

As Motley Fool suggests it seems like MS is about to let their early lead with an innovative product get leapfrogged again by either Leap Motion or Google.

Is MS capable anymore of finishing anything it's started?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Would love to, but sadly am losing more and more faith in MS every day. $3000? Still? After 3 years? Development-only version? Still? After 3 years?

As Motley Fool suggests it seems like MS is about to let their early lead with an innovative product get leapfrogged again by either Leap Motion or Google.

Is MS capable anymore of finishing anything it's started?

Last I checked the HoloLens is being used in several big businesses, and different tools are being developed for it. I'm not aware of Google working on anything similar, and magic leap is so secretive that if they aren't vapourware they will have a hard time garnering developer interest - while out of the box every UWP app will work on HoloLens.

What Microsoft is working on is pretty advanced, and the closest thing we will get to a Star Trek Holodeck without completely shutting out the real world. Give it time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss