Tried the HoloLens Today

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had a chance to test the HoloLens today for the first time. A couple of observations. First, I was surprised at the weight - I thought it would have been heavier, but it came in at about a pound. Adjustable size, comfortable to wear. Second, the graphics were really crisp. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was an ideal test case, and it was much better than I thought it would be. Colors were bright, the 3-D rendering was realistic. Large objects were as well re-produced as were very small ones. Movement of the images was smooth, including in a fast-moving game. The UI was easy to figure out, just a couple of basic moves.

I can imaging that several generations from now, the physical size will be reduced to something non-intrusive, and the quality will likely only improve. I don't know what the sticker price will be when released, but likely pretty high unfortunately. Still, I would probably spring for one, it was that cool.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The extra "e" in the title annoys me! It's HoloLens not HoloLensE! MODERATORS, GET ON THAT!
Haha, anyways, that sounds like a great experience. How was the field of view? I've heard it's quite narrow.

VRdorado

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I do envy you as I really look forward to get my hands on one in due time... size and weight of some of the AR/VR stuff is sure to go down with a 2nd gen.

Chris

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
The field of view is supposedly like looking through a mail slot. Is that still the case?

I'd also like to know if fov was a negative. And from what I've read, mail slot is a massive exaggeration. It was more like an iPad floating in front of you.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
FOV improvements will come in future generations as they release smaller and more powerful GPU, HPU etc, think about the Band compared to the Band 2 or Surface Pro vs Surface Pro 4. This is a test bed, it will improve over time.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
That makes sense about future generations using greater FOV, my concern, however, is the $3000 price tag on that first generation model. The limited FOV would certainly keep me from forking out $3000 for it. I hope MS doesnt equate the lack of sales to lack of interest.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense about future generations using greater FOV, my concern, however, is the $3000 price tag on that first generation model. The limited FOV would certainly keep me from forking out $3000 for it. I hope MS doesnt equate the lack of sales to lack of interest.

The price is for developers for the SDK, I can see loads of companies getting this, as for consumer release and price, it estimate less than $1000 dollars, perhaps it will be an XBOX accessory, a standalone new 'thing' who knows, in time as software is developed real life apps and use cases then the picture will be clear.

Imagine a surgeon with a scalpel (wearable) and doind some guided surgery, intricate yes, needs to be reliable, that is an amazing posibility as well as games and building design etc. Exciting stuff to come!.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I was listening to Windows Weekly this morning and Mary Jo Foley said the MS invited certain insiders to the Oct 6th event. After they let the insiders look at the new hardware. At the get-together after an insider approached her and said he tried the Hololens and the POV was nothing like Paul Thurott said (I think he was the one that came up with the mail slot comparison). He added that it was bigger then the mail slot POV. I guess we'll have to wait and see the reviews once its released.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
as for consumer release and price, it estimate less than $1000 dollars, perhaps it will be an XBOX accessoryExciting stuff to come!.

Um, I seriously doubt it will be much under $2k, let alone sub $1k. Maybe, but I don't think so. That seems to me like plain wishful thinking. If I was to be generous to the consumer, I'd say $1999 for the base model (if there is more than one model... more storage and such).

And it isn't going to be an Xbox accessory. The whole point is that it's a computer. That's been known since it was first announced. It'll probably connect to the Xbox being on Windows 10 and all, but that's like saying the Surface Pro 4 is an Xbox accessory because of the game streaming thing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The extra "e" in the title annoys me! It's HoloLens not HoloLensE! MODERATORS, GET ON THAT!

office-grizzly-meme-generator-sorry-i-m-late-i-thought-i-set-my-alarm-for-march-1a4392.jpg

KojiN

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I participated a Hololens demo session in Newcastle, Australia for a month or so ago.
It looks cool to ware, but I wasn't really impressed. It worked slow. Maybe because it was running on dev. mode or something (The guy was doing the demo using visual studio). And the price is way too high.
I may consider buying it if it is mature a lot more and the price is reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb