Why won't my Lumia connect to my wifi router?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia won't connect to Wifi router.

I'm having trouble connecting my lumia 535 to my wifi router. First of all it does not appear on the list of available networks. i decided to use my tablet to test whether it was an issue with the lumia or router. I deleted the network from my tablet, i reset the router and turned it back on. I searched for the router on both my tablet and lumia. The tablet found it straight away but not on the lumia. Has anyone else had this issue? its driving me mad!!!!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia won't connect to Wifi router.

Have you tried restarting your phone? (hold down the power and volume down buttons together for about 10 seconds until it vibrates) Then of course make sure WiFi is enabled on your phone in settings, turn it off and then back on to re-scan for available WiFi networks.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

The Lumia 535 supports Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n but not "a" so if your router transmits on the 5GHz band your 535 can not "see" it.
So please check your router setting if it is 2.4 or 5 and probably the router is set to the 5 GHz band which explains your "problem".

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

The Lumia 535 supports Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n but not "a" so if your router transmits on the 5GHz band your 535 can not "see" it.
So please check your router setting if it is 2.4 or 5 and probably the router is set to the 5 GHz band which explains your "problem".

This is probably exactly what his problem is. I never would have guessed that the 535 didn't support the 5GHz band (a) where my 1520 and every other WP I've had did. Good catch!

Michal Poterek

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
b/g/n modes can also work on 5ghz band. chech your router's settings. I have a 802.11n 5ghz at home and I almost bought a Lumia 640xl. Luckily I found out about WiFi in time and am still waiting for a new 950.

laurabro

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site

I'm having trouble connecting my lumia 535 to my wifi router. First of all it does not appear on the list of available networks. i decided to use my tablet to test whether it was an issue with the lumia or router. I deleted the network from my tablet, i reset the router and turned it back on. I searched for the router on both my tablet and lumia. The tablet found it straight away but not on the lumia. Has anyone else had this issue? its driving me mad!!!!

I had the same problem but figured it out. Go to settings,update&security,for developers. Highlight developer mode and make sure your device discovery is on. Now you can connect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb