Lumia 550 with/out compass?

anon(9234294)

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I am confused here. Microsoft official site do not mention that 550 has the compass, but many shops has it stated in parameters. So, does lumia 550 has the digital compass, or not?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If the official site says it doesn't have, it's wise to believe what it says.

Based on my experience, some shops don't know what they place in their labels. Four out of five times I walk in a gadget store and I learn that I know more about the device I want than the salesperson (even the manager sometimes!). Of course, this will vary depending on location... but the bottom line is - if the official site says so, then believe it and nothing else.

anon(9234294)

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I get what you trying to say, and probably you are right, and 550 doesn't have the compass (=fail)..
The point is, the official site doesn't say it doesn't have the compass, but it doesn't say that it does either :D But again, as I said, you are probably right, because it would be a funny world in which one would stat what features the device doesn't have hehe

stokes1510

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
If the official site says it doesn't have, it's wise to believe what it says.

Based on my experience, some shops don't know what they place in their labels. Four out of five times I walk in a gadget store and I learn that I know more about the device I want than the salesperson (even the manager sometimes!). Of course, this will vary depending on location... but the bottom line is - if the official site says so, then believe it and nothing else.

Sorry for being slight off topic but u love going into carphone warehouse knowing more than the reps there, who have told me before now, that they are only told on how to sell isheep and samesungs

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I get what you trying to say, and probably you are right, and 550 doesn't have the compass (=fail)..
The point is, the official site doesn't say it doesn't have the compass, but it doesn't say that it does either :D But again, as I said, you are probably right, because it would be a funny world in which one would stat what features the device doesn't have hehe

It's a lot easier to say what something has rather than to enumerate everything that it does not have.

dowlass

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
What is the purpose of a compass in a phone? Does it allow you to run 'compass' apps?...showing you what bearing you're heading on in the misty mountains. Or does it enable 'orientation' of your Nokia maps to the way you're facing? I'm not too geographically challenged and usually know roughly which way I'm facing.....except on misty mountains. Is that the compass's true use and virtue?

anon(9234294)

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you, I am not very good at orienting, and there are moments when I look at the map and It shows me where I am, and I see where I want to go, but it is hard for me to know which way I am looking, so I need to get to some point that helps me with that and only after I can go where I need to.
I know that for many people, this is no problem, this is automatic. But there are people like me, with little or no sense of orientation, and compass in a phone along with the maps are very helpful for us.
Of course I learned to help myself with the little things like position of the sun, or crossroads or stuff like this, I am not stupid, but the thing is, smartphones are here to make our lives easier, for me compass in the phone is much more important than 95%, maybe even 99% of other apps or functionalities.
To add, I like being in a nature, and the mountains you mentioned, and even here the compass in the phone can be a nudge, even though in high mountain I use paper maps and normal compass. But that's another story.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss