Lumia 550 worth it?

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Dear wc users

I've been following the site and forums for a while now and finally decided to create an account.

I'm currently using a Galaxy S6. But I'll have to return the phone for a camera issue as it sometimes makes a weird rumbling noise when I open the cam. This means I'll be phoneless for 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm seriously considering the lumia 550 to use during this period and as a backup device. I'm already used to windows 10 mobile (or wp 8.1 for that matter) as my previous phone was a Lumia 925. Loved the phone but ultimately had to sell it because of bad battery life.

Tl;dr: is the Lumia 550 worth it (as a backup device)? I know the Lumia 640 is better at everything but it's ?40 more expensive over here.

Thanks in advance!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Dear wc users

I've been following the site and forums for a while now and finally decided to create an account.

I'm currently using a Galaxy S6. But I'll have to return the phone for a camera issue as it sometimes makes a weird rumbling noise when I open the cam. This means I'll be phoneless for 3 to 4 weeks.

I'm seriously considering the lumia 550 to use during this period and as a backup device. I'm already used to windows 10 mobile (or wp 8.1 for that matter) as my previous phone was a Lumia 925. Loved the phone but ultimately had to sell it because of bad battery life.

Tl;dr: is the Lumia 550 worth it (as a backup device)? I know the Lumia 640 is better at everything but it's ?40 more expensive over here.

Thanks in advance!
In that case, I think the 550 would be a good choice, as long as you don't video chat in low light or take many pictures in low light. Going from a S6 to a 550 would be a shock for sure but it would be a good choice for a backup device. I would have had no problems keeping mine as one if I didn't already have the 640.

Is there anything you have questions about in particular? I can try to help you out, or if I can't, someone else can.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely worth it. Make sure to fully update both the OS and apps in the store though, the app versions that come pre-installed on the phone are from October, so they work, but are absolutely full of annoying bugs. Mine is running very well after fully updating everything (although I am running Insider build 10586.63, the latest official version is 10586.29).

Battery life was shockingly poor during the first two days of use, while things were updating and getting settled. It has now stabilised and easily lasts the day for me.

I have noticed very little difference between the Lumia 640 and 550 (I have both currently). The only thing I miss on the 550 is 1080p video recording (it maxes out at 720p), otherwise I actually prefer it for the smaller size.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's definitely worth it. Make sure to fully update both the OS and apps in the store though, the app versions that come pre-installed on the phone are from October, so they work, but are absolutely full of annoying bugs. Mine is running very well after fully updating everything (although I am running Insider build 10586.63, the latest official version is 10586.29).

Battery life was shockingly poor during the first two days of use, while things were updating and getting settled. It has now stabilised and easily lasts the day for me.

I have noticed very little difference between the Lumia 640 and 550 (I have both currently). The only thing I miss on the 550 is 1080p video recording (it maxes out at 720p), otherwise I actually prefer it for the smaller size.

You must be in my head or something because I feel similarly, and now I want it again after returning it. (lol)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Please let us know what you think! I am going back to one myself. Round 1 was to try it out, but I can't get over how well it feels in the hand!

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Please let us know what you think! I am going back to one myself. Round 1 was to try it out, but I can't get over how well it feels in the hand!
The phone is great value really. At first, I didn't really like it. Everyone talked about low end Windows Phones being smooth etc. It does run w10m out of the box and the experience was not that great. Even had to reset it a couple of times because it didn't install any updates from the store. It didn't even update the store itself. Yesterday it finally updated every single app. I also decided to put it on the latest update (fast ring) and now the phone's doing great really. It doesn't compare to my S6 yet somehow it's starting to grow on me just because how smooth it is and how well it performs for the price. Will try to keep you guys updated!

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've just swapped my LG G2 for a Lumia 550 and gotta admit, I'm impressed, mostly.
I've used a host of Windows Phones over the years, mostly low and mid-range ones and this is easily one of the nicest.
It feels nice in the hand and the screen is really good. Glance is an utter godsend and should be standard on ALL Windows phones.
WM10 is..... Ok. It's not the sea change WP7 was. And it's not as stable as WP8.1. But it is getting there and is getting updated regularly.
I'm not going to declare the 550 the greatest phone ever, it's not that. It's not my favorite WP, that's probably the 635. And as a replacement for the G2? Well, yes. Especially, if like me, you don't play loads of games or feel the need to run your entire life from one device.
So yeah, run it as a second device. Or, even better, run it as a primary device.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I'm still running it as a secondary device. It's certainly not a bad phone for the price, but W10M is still subpar. WP 8.1 was way smoother/faster on my old Lumia 925.

n-w

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I agree, I'm over the phablet thing. Just wanted a backup phone to be able to swap sim between Blackberry Passport and a touch only device.
I got the Lumia 550 in white and had low expectations - price suggested it would be a budget experience. I was wrong. Really good phone that is now my primary device.
Edge browser needs work but overall for the price and quality the 550 represents incredible bang for the buck.
*thumbs up* yes it definitely feels good in the hand.

TheRadBear

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Not to answer hte OP's question, but just sharing the proverbial two cents...

I simply wanted to test qut the new iteration of the Windows Phone without spending the big bucks for the 950; I simply went for it without reading prior reviews, or user opinions.

Now, you guys got me all excited about it, thanks!

Cheers.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Just bought my second 550 last night after giving away my original to someone needing a phone.
This time I updated all the apps first, because my last experience with the 550 wasn't so great. Downloaded the latest OS update and the new 550 is running very smoothly.
A much better experience this trip.
Have not had the screen freeze up on me yet or crash. Overall a nice backup phone that will probably become my primary phone.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the L550 to replace my AT&T L950, the one which has no firmware updates coming. The device is now trying to download the 10586.164 OS update OTA.

anon(1852343)

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
My main device is a Blackberry Passport. I just received the 550 from Microsoft today. I have updated the software and tried it out for a bit. I noticed someone posted above mentioning that they have a Passport as their main and the 550 secondary but now using the 550 as the main. I really cant believe this to be true and my Passport literally blows away the 550 in every aspect! The 550 (at least the one I have) lags big time and takes forever to perform most tasks. I actually purchased the 550 for continuum but just realized that this phone doesnt offer it. I have to admit that I was intrigued with a Windows 10 phone and thought that if I could use a Windows 10 phone along with my Windows 10 Laptop, I would be in heaven! Now I need to go out and spend alot more money if I want to see continuum as I will need to purchase a 950 or 950XL. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought this feature would be available with all Windows 10 Phones. I really love using Blackberry Blend as I can leave my Passport at home and still reply to all my text or email messages that come to my Passport directly on my laptop at the office or anywhere I travel for that matter. I was hoping to do the same with the 550. I will try the 550 for another couple of weeks but I think my mind is already made up and will be sending it back for a full refund. The 550 will never replace my Blackberry Passport. Even after Blackberry switches to all Android or closes shop, My Passport is the best phone I ever had!

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
My main device is a Blackberry Passport. I just received the 550 from Microsoft today. I have updated the software and tried it out for a bit. I noticed someone posted above mentioning that they have a Passport as their main and the 550 secondary but now using the 550 as the main. I really cant believe this to be true and my Passport literally blows away the 550 in every aspect! The 550 (at least the one I have) lags big time and takes forever to perform most tasks. I actually purchased the 550 for continuum but just realized that this phone doesnt offer it. I have to admit that I was intrigued with a Windows 10 phone and thought that if I could use a Windows 10 phone along with my Windows 10 Laptop, I would be in heaven! Now I need to go out and spend alot more money if I want to see continuum as I will need to purchase a 950 or 950XL. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought this feature would be available with all Windows 10 Phones. I really love using Blackberry Blend as I can leave my Passport at home and still reply to all my text or email messages that come to my Passport directly on my laptop at the office or anywhere I travel for that matter. I was hoping to do the same with the 550. I will try the 550 for another couple of weeks but I think my mind is already made up and will be sending it back for a full refund. The 550 will never replace my Blackberry Passport. Even after Blackberry switches to all Android or closes shop, My Passport is the best phone I ever had!

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Got to remeber the 550 is a budget phone. Has a lower powered processor.
For what it is, I had a budget android for the same price as the 550 and the 550 is a much smoother experience.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to disagree here. I think the Moto E (2015) runs smoother than the Lumia 550. And it's cheaper.

Nothing to be sorry about. We all have our opinions. Had a BLU studio x running android. $150 dollars that phone cost (2015) and compared to my former 550 $139, the android was horrible. Crashing and freezing up constantly.
I much prefer the windows OS

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I do agree most cheap android phones are crap. Only Motorolas are worth considering imo. Windows 10 Mobile is coming along nicely though, running quite smoothly on my Lumia 550.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes