Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Derausgewanderte for the effort ! it is clear now....still have a "problem here": in all android phones i used...

when i begin typing the number of someone...the phone offers me persons that start matching those phone numbers..: for example, 0645....i quickly see my "mom" and "wife" as they begin like that...

IS that even possible on WP 8.1 or 10 ?!!!! if not can any app enable that ?

that's how it works on Windows 10 Mobile. Not on Windows Phone 8.1 though.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
i see yes..it is called smart dial....thank god it is coming to WM10 !
also i need to know something!!! i know that changing my region on the phone will alter many settings! problem is i lost cortana, i lost bing vision and i lost 90% of apps on windows store !!!!!! in my region there are pratically no apps...and no reviews ttherefore!

so IS there ANY way besides changing region again (that causes gps not working good:!!!!!) to use my country AND have the USA store (the best by far!)

please tell me it is possible !!!

please

OnlyLhaled

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys
I have Lumia 640xl dual sim
I have problem when I make videocall via skype.
The app keeps zooming the video comes from my contact so I can only see small part of his face. This problem occurs in both portrait and landscape mode and I couldn't find anyway to unzoom.
Anyone could help me?
Thanks

OnlyLhaled

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I did several times also tried hard and soft reset and the problem didn't change.
I found similar issues on Skype community and nobody their have an answer or solution.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 640 XL one week ago and it arrived yesterday. I noticed that there were a green vertical line passing through the middle of the screen in some commands like, for example, putting the password in the lock screen and expanding the volume options. And when I take a screenshot, the line doesn't appear in the picture, so I supose it's a screen problem. The phone didn't fall or sth like that.

So.. What should I do? The phone runs perfectly, it doesn't bring any software problems, I use it normally. But I can't ignore the fact that there's a line in the screen. It also can bring me problems in the future to sell it.

I was so happy it arrived much faster than I expected, and now this happened.

There are some pictures I took from another phone of this problem:
View attachment 114910
View attachment 114911
View attachment 114912

I think you should return it cause mine doesn't have that issue at all!

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
ok people can anyone confirm the FOLLOWING, i wanna get a 640 xl but....

1- GPS does NOT work if i am not connected to internet (wifi/3g) ?!! users here have reported this...what is the point of HERE if not offline usage???
2- can the phone be charged when off ? every single lumia user says it is impossible as microsoft made it mandatory for the phone to be on!!!!
on my android i always shut off the phone to charge...as it charges twice as FAST!!!
3- is there any way to turn on and off (completely...not quiet hours!!!) the phone at specified hours ? this is the case for many android phone like huawei, alcatel, gionee etc...they shut down alone and boot alone and then alarm rings :)

thanx !

What I normally do for fast charge is airplane mode, but it doesn't bother me much, I allow it to charge freely. As one person once said in his review, phone users don't normally turn off their phones. If your avoiding calls or something I guess airplane mode works the charm.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
when i use other charger ( say a 1A or 2A charger, but not microsoft), the phone will display 'slow charging....'. however, when i use the microsoft's 750ma small charger, the phone does not give 'slow charging....' message. is this normal? any way, it takes about similar amount of time to fully charge the phone. i was wondering if the Microsoft charge has something build in?

Even if you use the slow charger, you won't get the normally time usage.

Goroon

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
In the last 10 days or so my 6 months old 640XL has started to show signs of the yellow burn mark in the top right hand corner of the screen.

The thing is that at times the mark is not visible at all but then a few hours later it can be very noticeable.

Is this the way it has been for others?

The phone was purchased from Amazon France. I am a little worried that if I return it now and they just switch it on and don't see problem they will just return it to me as it is.

If I wait a few weeks is it likely that the yellow mark will get worse and worse and be permanently visible?

Conrad DCruz

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Got the 640 xl just a month ago and the screen's started freezing horribly.
The start screen freezes frequently and when frozen, even the power button doesn't respond. Tho only thing I can do to restart is pull the battery out. I need to keep restarting four to five times to get it in a working state.
Occasionally with the start screen frozen, incoming calls, cortana and settings work with the start screen stuck infinitely on "loading" or "resuming".

Is it an OS bug; something that can be fixed or do I need to get the phone replaced?

Conrad

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
at least try a hard reset !!!! and it also seems you did not bother to download "hardware tests" app....to determine where the problem can be!
so before sending it on warranty...you know what to do

george-alexander

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I'm facing a problem regarding upgrading to the lastest preview version of windows 10. I have already installed the second version of windows 10, but when I'm trying to upgrade to the last one It says that I don't have enough space to do the upgrade although I have a 32 GB's sd card with more than 90% unoccupied space. How can I fix this?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm facing a problem regarding upgrading to the lastest preview version of windows 10. I have already installed the second version of windows 10, but when I'm trying to upgrade to the last one It says that I don't have enough space to do the upgrade although I have a 32 GB's sd card with more than 90% unoccupied space. How can I fix this?
You need the space on the phone. Look under the storage app what you got on "this device". You probably have less than 1.4Gb available. I think the actual download is a little over 1.2Gb. I suggest you either temporarily uninstall some larger apps or move them to the SDCard via the storage app until you get around 1.5Gb.

My last update I actually just did a backup, used Windows Device Recovery Tool to roll back to 8.1 update 2 and then updated to W10M latest build, did a hard reset and restored the backup. Depending on your download speed, the first step is very fast.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
to all people:

after WEEKS of testing, i confirm what MANY owner of lumia"s have already said, including various 640 ones:

GPS does not really work on most of the lumias be it in USA, FRANCE or elsewhere from what i read.

problem is OFFLINE gps! it can work...but most of the time it does not :( the only...way is to enable wifi/data....with that: no problem!

i also noted...that once you get locked in an area with the help of internet....that the fix will WORK after that even without wifi/data !!!
the LUMIA must learn first with the help of internet....WTF ?! however this solution will only work around 1km? of the area.

also, once you get a lock...gps will work without issues for long periods....

in my case at work i have been trying to get a lock-on for 2 weeks! NADA !...once i enabled "data"...for just 2-3mn....gps works 100% offline in my work zone every day now....with a very quick lock on !!!!

conclusion: for those with data...just activate/deactivate gps and you are good to go!
for those like me with no internet at all...just start gps in an area that works...and don't shut it OFF !!!

t0ny94

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The only issue I had so far is:
3 times for 2 months the screen's color reproduction or sharpness(don't know how to call it properly) changed randomly.
But after a soft reset everything is fine. I have had L630 for 2 years and it was rock-solid, I haven't had such problems.
I am not sure if this might be an os bug or something is wrong with the phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The only issue I had so far is:
3 times for 2 months the screen's color reproduction or sharpness(don't know how to call it properly) changed randomly.
But after a soft reset everything is fine. I have had L630 for 2 years and it was rock-solid, I haven't had such problems.
I am not sure if this might be an os bug or something is wrong with the phone.

Was it like a negative or very saturated look?

t0ny94

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
For 2 months my phone hasn't frozen at all. Did you install win10 or something? If not, I don't think it can be a problem with the os.
If I were you I would take it to the shop then next time it happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea