Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Sadly my 640 XL that arrived this morning is going back to Microsoft :(
There's a small but noticeable screen defect in the top right hand corner - the dreaded YELLOW TINT OF DEATH (on white backgrounds like Outlook / IE). It's visible on all but black backgrounds so impossible to ignore. MS Tech Support had me soft reset and then wipe the device but conceded it's a hardware fault.
Now I have to decide whether to wait for the refund cash or buy another one on a new order....patience is the more sensible option but I want a new tech toy NOW.

Hey, I had the same problem with my 640 xl. Yellow spot in the top right. It's horrible. I sent mine in to be repaired. It's been 16 days. What did you do with yours? Any idea on what caused it? I have a surface pro with the same exact problem, but there are two yellow spots. Could it be connected with the power outlet somehow? I'm in Europe now, we use 220 in our outlets.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Update: I am waiting for a warranty replacement from AT&T. While the shutting down stopped after a reset, I had the phone loose reception for no reason a couple of times this past week. Hopefully this replacement will work better.

Why did you not return it, and get a brand new one?

compucharlie

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
The issue is due to the way the Lumia 640 XL has a "feature", which allows the "Back /Windows /Search" toolbar to minimize (much like the windows OS taskbar).

While in the Waze app, touch in between the "Back/ Windows" or Windows / Search" buttons (you may have to try a few times) and slide down (like you are pulling the task bar into the bottom of the phone).

The task bar should go away and allow access to the decline and accept buttons.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got the yellow spot on my phone. I'm thinking the 640 XL just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have that issue, connectivity issues and when I touch the left side of my screen, it flickers slightly. Kind of bummed because I was really into the size and versatility, especially the dual sim. On to the next phone, I guess.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone let me know what Microsoft says is causing the yellow spot in the top right of the Lumia 640 xl? Seems like everybody is having this problem.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am also starting have the yellow tint. We should open a new thread with that. Any solution yet or is it for sure a hardware problem?

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine just started a week or two ago. I don't recall overheating issues but it did reboot while on my desk last week. Didn't think much about it and didn't touch it to feel it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Knock on wood but I have not seen this on my Xl (RM-1096) I wonder is this something only specific to the American/Att versions(aka the newer ones?)

That being said, I am a bit meh with the phone's touch. I miss supersensitive touch on the higher ends and it seems that it doesn't always register touches as it should.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Had your device over heated before ?
Like really hot or even reboots itself in order to decrease the temperature?

No, never over heated. Never rebooted like that ever. I waited for this phone for a long time so I took super good care of it. It was never in the sun or near any magnets or anything. What do you think about it?

AmGaD-SaLaH

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
No, never over heated. Never rebooted like that ever. I waited for this phone for a long time so I took super good care of it. It was never in the sun or near any magnets or anything. What do you think about it?

Well , have you accidently dropped it before ?
This actually might be a faulty Device ..
Maybe you can share your RM-xxxx And also where you have bought it from .. (maybe we could get to know something.. Maybe its something with all devices having that same RM-xxxx)
There might be a faulty units , store trying to get rid of it

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Knock on wood but I have not seen this on my Xl (RM-1096) I wonder is this something only specific to the American/Att versions(aka the newer ones?)

That being said, I am a bit meh with the phone's touch. I miss supersensitive touch on the higher ends and it seems that it doesn't always register touches as it should.

Mine is the RM-1096 model. I'm super careful with my devices, no drops or anything. I'm going to contact MS and/or Nokia to see what they can do. Really bummed because I really like the phone. I love that it has so many LTE bands, big screen and dual sim. You'd be hard pressed to find a replacement with all those features.

elhelmiey

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
bought a Lumia 640 XL 3G on 15th July and after almost 2 weeks of usage, I found that it's really worth the money.

got random reboots at 1st but then got like 2 or 3 times of updates and now the problem have entirely gone. sometimes, I can't scroll up our down while using ie but I can tap the address bar to activate the keyboard.

sometimes, while using ie to view videos from YouTube, it's just crashed to home menu.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine is the RM-1096 model. I'm super careful with my devices, no drops or anything. I'm going to contact MS and/or Nokia to see what they can do. Really bummed because I really like the phone. I love that it has so many LTE bands, big screen and dual sim. You'd be hard pressed to find a replacement with all those features.
Can someone take a pic of this spot or whatever it is?

Which color do you have?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Can someone take a pic of this spot or whatever it is?

Which color do you have?

I can try to shoot it later. Original color was black. I've since bought the white and blue battery covers as well. I also contacted MS. Because the RM-1096 model isn't intended for sale in the US: warranty is void. I reached out to a recommended repair center to see what their warranty is on the repairs. I was quoted $115 to replace the screen. If they can offer a decent warranty (1 year or longer) I may be inclined to bite. But I'm definitely unhappy at the moment. I'm hoping the 940/950 comes out before I'm totally frustrated. Looking into the 1020 at this time though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon