Lumia 640XL LTE dual SIM - 2nd SIM doesn't work. How can I get it working?

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640XL LTE dual SIM - 2nd SIM doesn't work

Hello,

I have bought from Ebay a RM-1096 Lumia 640XL LTE double Sim.
The thing is, after putting my two SIMS in it, I have the 2nd one who doesn't work. After installing Win10 mobile TP, I see that the 2nd SIM is stuck to 2G while for the first one I have a choice between 2G to 4G.
As I am in Canada and that the two providers are Koodo and Telus who use the same network which is only CDMA and not GSM, I couldn't use the dual SIM capacity of my phone.

Do you know if there is a software trick to force the "3G" network on the 2nd SIM ? Or is it definitely hardware and couldn't do anything with that ?
I don't mind to loose the 4G capacity on the first SIM if needed.

Thanks a lot in advance!

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 640XL LTE dual SIM - 2nd SIM doesn't work

I can confirm with mine that the first SIM get up to 4G and the second one can get up to 3G.
You talk to the support service, and you should be able with them to identify the problem (the phone or something else).
The 640XL is covered by 1 year international manufacturing warranty
I have just took a screen shoot and the first sim is on H+ (on Three network) and the second sim is on 3G (on tesco network):
wp_ss_20150728_0001.jpg

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a lot for your quick answer and for those information. Unfortunately my Lumia is only warranty in HK as the phone come from there (even if I bought it from a US seller - but that was the risk)
I will try to see with the Windows Phone support and see what they could do (I have already check with them but as the phone is not selling in Canada the one I got didn't know the product but seems there is one of the technician there who got it as well)... unfortunately there is not yet a lot of information about that on the internet.

Thanks again!

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

Hi again,
I am very surprise because I thought that all the product from Microsoft was cover on international warranty which is mean it doesn't matter where you bought the phone.
Please let us know what Microsoft say about the warranty.
Thanks
We wish you good luck

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

Just got a representative from Microsoft Mobile support Canada on the phone and she tell me as the phone was not attempt for the US or Canadian market, certainly that come from the software that doesn't allow to have other option than 2G on the second SIM.
So now, I'm wondering if I could have a product code from EU or NAM (US/Canada)... but don't seems to have any chart of that on the internet. That will allow me to try to flash the software with a different region and perhaps that will do the tricks.
If you don't mind, perhaps you could let me know which is your product code (the "code" indicate between SIM1 slot and the SD card slot by the battery - sorry if you already know that ;o))

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

Another option will be to put it back on ebay and buy another one. There is nothing wrong with the phone and some people will be interesting to buy this phone from international location like in Europe

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

Just got a representative from Microsoft Mobile support Canada on the phone and she tell me as the phone was not attempt for the US or Canadian market, certainly that come from the software that doesn't allow to have other option than 2G on the second SIM.
So now, I'm wondering if I could have a product code from EU or NAM (US/Canada)... but don't seems to have any chart of that on the internet. That will allow me to try to flash the software with a different region and perhaps that will do the tricks.
If you don't mind, perhaps you could let me know which is your product code (the "code" indicate between SIM1 slot and the SD card slot by the battery - sorry if you already know that ;o))

mine is been bought from uk, it is also a RM-1096
my code is 059X183

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello Richard!

Again a big thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Thanks also for your product code. It's the same than mine and seems that RM-1096 is for Asia market as there is only 3 variants :

- 059X132 PWBASSY RM-1096 DS LIGHT SWAP ENGINE CU (ROM Engineering)
- 059X1C9 RM-1096 VAR APAC CN CV (ROM Chine CV)
- 059X183 RM-1096 VAR APAC HK CV (ROM Hong Kong CV)

(src : monwindowsphone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=978865#p978865)

So your phone come from HK as well (you could check your IMEI to be sure there : microsoft.com/en-hk/mobile/support/warranty-check/ and you will see that is only available there)

And also, I happened to have a French SIM card and yes it worked (on Rogers on roaming) but only with 2G network as a 2nd SIM. Here my screenshot for that (and you can see the "G" at the end for GSM I assume) :

wp_ss_20150728_0001.png

Well, that is not that stressful and well, to be honest, I was waiting for the next flagship anyway (but this phone is great nonetheless for its cost).

Again a big thanks for your help and follow up!

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your information.
I have tried the link you gave me: Warranty status - Microsoft - Hong Kong
and indeed the warranty seems only working in HK (What's going on with microsoft!) this is not very good because people are travelling a lot for business or other.
Anyway the status is:
Warranty.JPG
but when I am trying with my lumia by using (Lumia Help + Tips => Check your warranty) funny enough the phone tell me that my phone is out
warranty:
Out of Warranty.JPG
but when I went on some microsoft warranty phone website say said that the detection of the warranty on the phone is based on when/where the phone has been manufactured, and it says that the invoice of the phone will be used for the starting date of the warranty, they also says that the phone has a 24 month warranty.

On the box I have got "made in vietnam":
Band.jpg

I have read the french forum about "fashing the 640 XL" poor guy is phone is dead.c:unhappy:
I will personally not attempt to flash a windows phone.

I am only using the data connection on the sim 1 because Three network in UK give a data connection up to 4G/LTE (unlimited) and also Sim 2 slot radio hasn't got the 4G/LTE capability (suppose to go up to 3G).
Most of the time with my tesco sim card in SIM slot 2 I only have a G / E connection which is ok for phone call but not good for data connection anyway.

To be honest, I feel good to use the SIM one for call and data connection and Sim 2 only for call
Can you get H+ or 4G/LTE coneection with you SIM 1 on your koodo network?

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used my 640XL in Singapore recently, also an RM-1096 (059X183) which I shipped to the UK from Hong Kong. I saw 4G on both SIMs simultaneously: UK O2 roaming to SingTel on one and a local SingTel SIM on the other.

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello!
That's been a while, sorry for my very last reply.
First of all, a big thanks for the follow up and answers. Seems that you are lucky Duncan, so, from your experience we could say that not every network work for dual sim in 3G/LTE but some yes.
richard : Same here regarding the warranty, while checking the help+tips section a got the exact same answer than you. It seems that even for warranty it is localized which is a big nonsense now.
To answer your question, when I used only one sim, I got the H+ and 4G networks, so basically it's working. It's just that most of the cellular providers don't offer a 2G network (CDMA are the main bands) in Canada. Only one to my knowledge have a 2G coverage and it is Rogers which is quite expensive and doesn't well cover the place where I live.
Anyway, my 640 is a temporary acquisition while waiting for the next Microsoft flagship ��

Thanks again!

Cim04

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I've used my 640XL in Singapore recently, also an RM-1096 (059X183) which I shipped to the UK from Hong Kong. I saw 4G on both SIMs simultaneously: UK O2 roaming to SingTel on one and a local SingTel SIM on the other.

I bought 640 XL LTE Dual Sim (RM-1065) and I haven't seen my Slot 2 get 4G/LTE :( Even if I switch my sim cards and put the working LTE SIM on Slot 2. Should I have it replaced?

Update: I have confirmed on my end. Just restart or go to airplane mode and back.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaIsha