[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 640 XL?

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Rate the 640XL

I would give it 3.5 stars. Here is where I would detect points from this phone
  1. No Dedicated Camera button. There is no point in snatching stuff from poor kids just to show that rest of the kids are better off. If MS wants the premium phones to feel significantly better, they better add new features to those phones rather than take away basic and nearly cost-less features from other phones
  2. poor internal memory, At this price point you need to provide 16 GB. more so since more and more apps now demand to be installed on the phone memory only
  3. Finally lack of apps and lack of regard form even Microsoft by rolling out updates to iOS and Android ahead of windows for their own apps

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

I give it 3 because no 1080p screen, 2gb ram, 16gb rom, ac wireless for the xl version when compared to the ASUS ZenFone 2 for $200 to help make a bit more future proof. Call quality volume and bluetooth volume are very low compared to my older lg g2.

How is the low-light camera performance between LG G2 and 640 XL? I'm having 735 and looking to upgrade to G2, as they are pretty cheap now.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

I'll give my 640 XL 4 out of 5 stars.
Pros: Large screen, micro SD support, glance screen, double tap, gorgeous cameras front and rear, Lumia camera 5.0 w/rich capture, customizable battery cover, removable battery, (did I mention the awesome rear camera?), sturdy build quality that doesn't feel cheap, Miracast support, Bluetooth 4.0 that works perfectly with my Jeep (had connectivity issues with my 925) and Bluetooth headphones.

Cons: Lack of camera button (c'mon Microsoft, this thing has a beast of a camera that takes better pictures than an iPhone, let it do its thing), wireless charging (not so much, rarely used it on my 925), screen isn't sharp sometimes, but it's not that bad.

Overall, the 640 XL is an upgrade over my 925 (for me at least, others opinions may vary).

kenny1960

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: **Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it goo

I just bought my 640XL last week , I upgraded it to windows 10 and I have to say it is the best phone I have ever owned. It is fast, The display is awesome, My daughter has an IPhone 5 and she loves my phone much better, There is NOTHING i cannot do that an IPhone can do, For less than 1/2 the price.

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have this baby too, is an excellent phone, but it has Windows 8,1, HOW can I upgrade to Windows 10?

Window 10 is buggy now and battery life definitely much shorter than in Window 8.1.
If embrace the "impact", can upgrade by downloading "Window Insider" app via store.

Some claims that a clean install (without restoring your backup data) will solve some bug.

Known Bug : Mobile hotspot stop working when screen go to sleep (not sure if already resolve in the latest build)

I advise to do a hard reset after upgrade to Window 10 mobile. (It does solve my problem)

Raymond George

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

Hey,
Im From India , and bought my First Lumia 640xl LTE!!!
Mainly took it for the 5.7" Screen and i know 1 GB Ram was way sufficient for a windows mobile.
cost me 15K INR and the 3g version was 2K less. but anyways doesnt matter, So a dual sim, wid a 3000Mah battery and 13Mp shooter and a great 5Mp cam. i Love this Phone!
At first glance loved de pain black and the back matt finish was simply wonderful ! yes i know plastic feel but hey! its not a high end phone i would say more of a budget based smart phone and one f de best choices i made for a phone. I was previously using Xperia ZR great set, but after playing wid de so called waterproof part.. well not so great. i lost interest with the camera mainly as it would have a fixed type focus and even if we tapped the screen to where we wanted it to focus it wouldn't change, anyways enough wid the past. 640XL Lte, like it love it. loudspeaker i would say 7 out of 10, everything thing else i love it. now currently a win 10 beta user Slow ring, and im in love with the interface! yes they need to update a hand full of apps such as (Instagram, Facebook, youtube, snapchat,) see these are just some of them but these app are heavily used by users. my current Win 10 version is of ( 10.0.10586.71 ).

Raymond George

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
install Windows Insider App,
participate in it then select Slow Build , Restart and Vala chk for a Phone update.
Attaching a pik of the latest Build! Enjoy!
WIn 10 Build.jpg

Somchai Quint

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Great Phone, but where is the camera button? was my first impression, since my Lumia 1320 had a separate Button for the camera and I was used to it. Right now I would no more change back. :D

iskra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello
Can anybody tell me how many second can make for long exposure lens in lumia camera? For example in lumia 1020 you can make 4 seconds long exposure lens
I hope you understand me what i want to know ;)
Thanks for yours anwser

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I received my 640 XL yesterday. Coming from a 640, it's a similar experience, but bigger and better. I installed 10 on my 640 last week to help me decide if I'd want to do the same with my XL. And....nope. I'll be sticking with good ol' 8.1 for now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I received my 640 XL yesterday. Coming from a 640, it's a similar experience, but bigger and better. I installed 10 on my 640 last week to help me decide if I'd want to do the same with my XL. And....nope. I'll be sticking with good ol' 8.1 for now.
I must ask, how are you dealing with the apps? I like Lumia Camera better over the MS Camera, but the difference with some apps is like night and day.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I must ask, how are you dealing with the apps? I like Lumia Camera better over the MS Camera, but the difference with some apps is like night and day.

Do you mean the difference between apps in 8.1 vs. apps in 10? I honestly don't use a lot of third party apps outside of Facebook and Instagram. Yes, Instagram on 10 has more features, but little ol' Beta on 8.1 still works for what I do. Facebook seemed the same, just slower (granted, this is on my 640 LTE, not my XL). Now, one thing that really annoyed me with 10 is the Outlook Calendar. I don't really want/need a calendar that is synced up with my Outlook account, but with that turned off it constantly reminded me that it couldn't access my account info. I use my phone as my morning alarm, and I must say that I greatly prefer the alarm interface on 8.1 over that on 10. And messaging, ugh. Setting my text to the largest size didn't seem to affect the size of the text in my messages. Still tiny. Couldn't figure out how to change that. I'm legally blind, so that won't do. The overall lag my 640 LTE has with Windows 10, and those little annoyances with features that I use the most are why I haven't bothered to upgrade my XL yet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean the difference between apps in 8.1 vs. apps in 10? I honestly don't use a lot of third party apps outside of Facebook and Instagram. Yes, Instagram on 10 has more features, but little ol' Beta on 8.1 still works for what I do. Facebook seemed the same, just slower (granted, this is on my 640 LTE, not my XL). Now, one thing that really annoyed me with 10 is the Outlook Calendar. I don't really want/need a calendar that is synced up with my Outlook account, but with that turned off it constantly reminded me that it couldn't access my account info. I use my phone as my morning alarm, and I must say that I greatly prefer the alarm interface on 8.1 over that on 10. And messaging, ugh. Setting my text to the largest size didn't seem to affect the size of the text in my messages. Still tiny. Couldn't figure out how to change that. I'm legally blind, so that won't do. The overall lag my 640 LTE has with Windows 10, and those little annoyances with features that I use the most are why I haven't bothered to upgrade my XL yet.

Yep that's what I meant. Thank you for answering.

Shashank Makkar

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of getting a lumia 640xl since my aging 720 got shattered. it came under a car :( . just curious if i should go for it. its a year old phone now.

Tm-Nl

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the 640XL for over a year now and moved to Win 10 about 2 months ago. I think it's a bit faster/snappier then 8.1 but it also spontaneously restarts... Happens about once a month. About the app's... I hate the new Music player (does not stream properly to my car's audio and lacks swiping left/right to access playlist, artists, etc., Very hard to search in BIG library's because they removed the alfabet search function like in Contacts, so one has to scroll a looooooong time to get down the list.... Does not display the right album art from Mp3) And i don't like the maps app, liked the previous HERE maps a lot better. Better are in my view is the layout of the Calender and Mail app. All in all it's a very good phone for the money, really happy with it.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought one yesterday, but it's not for me. It's an early Christmas present for my mum who is upgrading from her trusty red Lumia 720. The retailer only had black in stock (and a lot of it!), but it didn't matter because a couple of hours later, I bought the CC-3090 cyan flip case, which should be delivered next week.

Quick first impressions:
- It's big! (TWSS)
- I like the feel of the device in the hand due to the matte, ever so slightly rough finish. Bottom line: there's no chance of slippage.
- Thinking back 18 months ago, I thought the camera hump would be annoying, but now I don't mind it. In fact, I hadn't noticed it when the device is placed flat on the table.
- WP8.1 scales well on a 5.7" display, albeit at 1280x720 pixels. Because of display's size the tiles, keyboard, buttons and the numberpad for dialling are huge, which is great for my mum's eyes.
- The 640 XL runs just as well as my regular 640, obviously because both devices have the same internals. That's also a bit of a bummer because even less taxing games like Crossy Road (which, in older builds, ran beautifully on my old 520) chugs along with dropped frames, much like on my 640 under both WP8.1 and W10M. Oddly, the 635 (1GB) has the same internals as the 640/XL and runs Crossy Road as well as the latest, fastest device. Go figure.
- I've yet to test the camera but reviews have been glowing.
- It will be interesting to see how long the device will run between charges with that 3000mAh battery and Windows Phone's power-sipping operation.
- I'm still in love with WP8.1

It's early days but based on my initial impressions I'm quite pleased with the Lumia 640 XL. I can't wait to put on that cyan flip cover! :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12