640 XL Dual SIM

mhertel

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking of getting either the RM-1065 or RM-1096 Dual SIM version of the 640 XL.
I need both SIM's to be able to get at least 3G as 2G is pretty much dead up here in Canada.

As I understand the RM-1065 is the US version and the RM-1096 is the Asian version, but are functionally identical. Is this correct?

If somebody could verify that either of these will support at least 3G on both SIM's that would be great...

Cheers!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As I understand the RM-1065 is the US version and the RM-1096 is the Asian version, but are functionally identical. Is this correct?

If somebody could verify that either of these will support at least 3G on both SIM's that would be great...
wife and I are using the 640XL on ATT-US. We are getting 4G (equivalent to LTE) and everything with the exception of visual voice mail is working. Cannot confirm whether 4G works on both SIM's though, as we are only using one. Maybe something I will try next weekend just to see how that works with my wife's SIM.

cheers

mhertel

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So I got my RM-1065 and am pretty happy with it.. BUT I can not get Dual SIM to work with just 3G or higher..
I have a Koodo and Telus LTE SIM (I'm in Canada)
I can get either SIM1 or SIM2 to work with 3G or LTE, but I can't get both SIM's to get a signal at the same time.
From this I gather that you can have either SIM1 or SIM2 in 3G/LTE mode and the other SIM in 2G mode. (which doesnt help, as we dont have 2G up here any more..)
I wish they would state this fact somewhere in their documentation..

:(

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear it's not working. I have not tried myself yet on ATT. I've read a few since then and it could also be carrier related.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl/349615-dual-sim-3g-vs-dual-sim-4g.html
see post #11 about Canada

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...t-work-how-can-i-get-working.html#post3171740
this thread OP is specifically about Canada and member sphax seems to have exactly your problem. You will also see that member RichardTheKing has both SIMs working. Member Duncan even reports 4G on both SIMs simultaneously.

Wish I could have shown this to you sooner. So what may very well work here in the US may not work in CA. If I reported to you that it works on ATT it wouldn't mean anything for Canada on two carriers. I guess MS' fineprint should say somewhere that Dual SIM requires carrier capabilities to work (and it may be somewhere already ....).

cheers

Last edited:

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
sorry to hear it's not working. I have not tried myself yet on ATT. I've read a few since then and it could also be carrier related.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-640-xl/349615-dual-sim-3g-vs-dual-sim-4g.html
see post #11 about Canada

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...t-work-how-can-i-get-working.html#post3171740
this thread OP is specifically about Canada and member sphax seems to have exactly your problem. You will also see that member RichardTheKing has both SIMs working. Member Duncan even reports 4G on both SIMs simultaneously.

Wish I could have shown this to you sooner. So what may very well work here in the US may not work in CA. If I reported to you that it works on ATT it wouldn't mean anything for Canada on two carriers. I guess MS' fineprint should say somewhere that Dual SIM requires carrier capabilities to work (and it may be somewhere already ....).

cheers

Hi,
With 640XL dual sim in UK, I have swapped the two sim card to see what's going on about the two different radio:
SIM 1: Up to 4G/LTE (H+ with Tesco, 4G with Three)
SIM 2: 2G only (tried with Three and Tesco)

Hello Microsoft,
Mhertel has got a very relevant question: and if there is not 2G mode in your area/county?

sphax22

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I could confirm that both SIM cards couldn't work on 3G/LTE network simultaneously (while one is on one of this bands, the other one will be limited to the 2G bands which is quite useless in Canada or you have to be on Rogers 😒).
Sorry mhetel to not have seen your post before you buy your Lumia 640XL. But in a way, you have now confirmed that is also the case with the RM-1065 variant (mine is a 1096 variant).
Hopefully, Microsoft will be more explicit with the supposed Lumia 950/950XL dual sim and we will be able to have both sim 3G/LTE working together 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaIsha