Visual voicemail AT&T on Lumia 640 dual Sim

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I got the 640 dual Sim today from Expansys and was wondering how I can activate the AT&T visual voicemail. I only have an AT&T Sim card installed.

Thanks

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I can almost guarantee you the problem is on their end. I had this issue with my old 920 on cricket. To get it working I had to provide them with an IMEI number of phone purchased directly from Cricket. Then it would work. Guessing the way their system is set up is it will only enable visual voicemail for those phones they recognize as their own by the IMEI number.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think visual voicemail is available on any dual SIM Lumia phones. I also ran into this when I got a 730 dual SIM.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses. I will give them a call and see if there is a solution. My Lumia 930, European version, worked fine on AT&T. So, I thought this one would, too.

LW76

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I have this phone (Lumia 640 dual sim) too... If you find out how to solve this problem, please share so I can set up my visual voicemail as well.
Thanks!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I had to call to get AT&T to provision the IMEI for my Lumia 635 to work with Visual Voicemail. Since I didn't get the phone on contract (it was a GoPhone), they had to set it up like that.

After that was done (it took 2 tries with customer service, because the first person didn't get it set up properly) then all I had to do was call my voicemail, enter my pin, then go to my phone screen and tab over to visual voicemail and enter my voicemail pin. Has worked since, well, up until I hard reset my phone. I haven't bothered to call voicemail to set it back up because I haven't gotten a voicemail in over 6 months now.

Let us know if they get it working. I'm looking at possibly picking up the 640XL LTE dual SIM a bit later.

RK928

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
OK, just came back from the AT&T store, they knew exactly what I was talking about with Visual Voicemail. They provisioned the number (the SIM came from an HTC One to a Nokia 520 and now on a new 640). But Visual Voicemail didn't work. She then spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with AT&T support and talked to 2 people including the supervisor, who finally said Visual Voicemail is not yet working for the 640, only the 520.

Is this correct? Can anyone confirm that they have Visual Voicemail for the new 640 on U.S. AT&T? Thanks...

RK928

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
One more, just got off the phone with AT&T support, she knew exactly what I wanted and said that because I switched the SIM over, she would have to delete the current voicemail account and I'd go back in and set it up again. Then the Visual Voicemail password screen should appear after I ended the setup call with voicemail.

Nope, didn't work, I set up the new voicemail box but when I ended the call, I did not get a Visual Voicemail "enter the password" screen. So I'm back to square one, still no Visual Voicemail. Bummer!

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Are your dual SIM Lumias receiving and LTE signal on ATT's network?

ATT does not offer Visual Voicemail on non-LTE phones. The only exception was the initial iPhone many years ago before LTE.

If you can figure a way around this limitation that would be great -- but as far as ATT is concerned, "they can make it work" on non-LTE smartphones. period.

RK928

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, LTE no problem. My Nokia 540 got Visual Voicemail no problem either. AT&T says dual sim phones aren't supported with Visual Voicemail and mine is dual sim. I don't really need dual sim, should have bought the standard model.

james42519

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I use ISeeVM that is made by YouMail. Used it on iPhone 3gs I had and it remembered everything when got on this phone. Can also have them sent to email and listen on computer to. should say i have net10 so there is no way can get at&t to do anything. can't even get internet sharing to work since it thinks i am using at&t because this sim card uses at&t towers. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/iseevm-for-youmail/9wzdncrdkj9v

Last edited:

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, LTE no problem. My Nokia 540 got Visual Voicemail no problem either. AT&T says dual sim phones aren't supported with Visual Voicemail and mine is dual sim. I don't really need dual sim, should have bought the standard model.

I think specifically they are referring to one of the two SIM slots. One of those SIM slots won't have high speed data. Then again, you could call AT&T half a dozen times and get nearly as many different answers. At least that has been my experience. Your mileage may vary, and I hope it is better than what I experienced.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
OK, just came back from the AT&T store, they knew exactly what I was talking about with Visual Voicemail. They provisioned the number (the SIM came from an HTC One to a Nokia 520 and now on a new 640). But Visual Voicemail didn't work. She then spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with AT&T support and talked to 2 people including the supervisor, who finally said Visual Voicemail is not yet working for the 640, only the 520.

Is this correct? Can anyone confirm that they have Visual Voicemail for the new 640 on U.S. AT&T? Thanks...

The 520 does not have LTE, and does not support Visual Voicemail. The 640 does support it, but only if you get the one with the AT&T branded firmware. It has the code needed to enable visual voicemail for AT&T. Getting an unlocked phone will lack the proper coding to allow visual voicemail on any carrier. As this coding is carrier specific, you would have to get a carrier phone.

Personally, while I have visual voicemail working, I haven't used it in several months. Generally speaking, people send me a text message or an email instead of leaving a voicemail. I flat out let them know on my voicemail message that if they want me to get it anytime soon, it would be quicker and more efficient to email or text me.

I know it's convenient for some, but to me voicemail is pretty much obsolete, like a fax machine. It still gets used, but it's old tech that is quickly disappearing in usage.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I can almost guarantee you the problem is on their end. I had this issue with my old 920 on cricket. To get it working I had to provide them with an IMEI number of phone purchased directly from Cricket. Then it would work. Guessing the way their system is set up is it will only enable visual voicemail for those phones they recognize as their own by the IMEI number.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

So you were able to call Cricket and were able to get visual voice mail on a non-Cricket Windows Phone?

I ask because I'm using an AT&T 830 on Cricket, and I'd love to get visual voicemail working on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon