Considered the 640.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys and Gals.. I currently have a Nokia 1520, I love it and the screen size however the Microphone is giving me fits. People can't hear me, which is a common trend amongst the 1520. Of course I'm out of Warranty and I can either pay $128.00 to buy my phone out and get something new, or I can go to a Microsoft Store and pick up a 640.. Im curious for some thoughts? Coming from a larger screen I know the 640 is only 5" screen (as opposed to 6) the memory is obviously 8 Gig smaller.

Little bit of insight? Negative or positive please chime in. I don't want to waste money..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It isn't laggy, but wait, are you planning to go the Insider route or stick with 8.1? That can possibly change the answer. On 8.1, it's pretty good. There are occasional "stutters" in some apps, but generally, no.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
It isn't laggy, but wait, are you planning to go the Insider route or stick with 8.1? That can possibly change the answer. On 8.1, it's pretty good. There are occasional "stutters" in some apps, but generally, no.

On the insider ring currently with the 1520. I assume the space is an issue?

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Space hasn't been an issue, but I don't have a lot of apps on my device. I'm also on the insider program and still have plenty of space.
It's a great device, I hope you enjoy it if you buy it.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Space hasn't been an issue, but I don't have a lot of apps on my device. I'm also on the insider program and still have plenty of space.
It's a great device, I hope you enjoy it if you buy it.

Went into the MS at lunch and of course they were training someone right at the desk where the phones sit.. LOL.. I don't have a lot of apps on my phone either... Facebook, Plex, Thats are the heavy hitters.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys and Gals.. I currently have a Nokia 1520, I love it and the screen size however the Microphone is giving me fits. People can't hear me, which is a common trend amongst the 1520. Of course I'm out of Warranty and I can either pay $128.00 to buy my phone out and get something new, or I can go to a Microsoft Store and pick up a 640.. Im curious for some thoughts? Coming from a larger screen I know the 640 is only 5" screen (as opposed to 6) the memory is obviously 8 Gig smaller.

Little bit of insight? Negative or positive please chime in. I don't want to waste money..

Go for it. I'd a Lumia 950 for 3 weeks and bought a 640 for a great price. Since then I returned the 950. Haven't noticed a huge difference other than some occasional lag compared to 950. I dont use windows hello or continuum so the cost of 950 isn't justified in my case.

So far I'm enjoying my 640. Not to mention the $700 savings!!

Sent from mTalk

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Go for it. I'd a Lumia 950 for 3 weeks and bought a 640 for a great price. Since then I returned the 950. Haven't noticed a huge difference other than some occasional lag compared to 950. I dont use windows hello or continuum so the cost of 950 isn't justified in my case.

So far I'm enjoying my 640. Not to mention the $700 savings!!

Sent from mTalk

Camera must be a biggest drawback. While 640's camera is good for the price, it can't compare to the ones in flagship devices...

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Don't get the 640, if you can go for the xl. I've had mine for about six months and it's awesome no faults with it

Cant really go for 400+ out of pocket right now.. This is my options.. Either 1. Pay $100.00 Get the 1520 fixed or replaced depending upon what Azurion will send, or Option 2. Buy the 640 for $50.00 and run with it until my contracts up. Or Pay $128 buy the phone I have and get an iPhone :) The only reason I haven't gone iphone yet is because of Cortana.. She saves me in the car.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree the camera is the biggest shortcoming for the 640 vs higher end phones, but for the price it is a great phone. I am currently selling off all my other devices and only keeping the 640. I think the 5" size is really the sweet spot, and I love the fact that it is a $60 phone. I don't feel like I need to be as protective with it and don't worry about dropping it. You could buy 2 for the cost of buying the contract out on your broken 1520.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I agree the camera is the biggest shortcoming for the 640 vs higher end phones, but for the price it is a great phone. I am currently selling off all my other devices and only keeping the 640. I think the 5" size is really the sweet spot, and I love the fact that it is a $60 phone. I don't feel like I need to be as protective with it and don't worry about dropping it. You could buy 2 for the cost of buying the contract out on your broken 1520.

LOL Agreed. I guess thats my biggest fear is screen size.. Since being on the 1520.. It has a 6" Screen - I assume 5.5 View? Which means if the 640 is a 5" Screen 4.5 is view correct? I like the large screens Easier on the eyes.. Not that Im older.. Only 37..

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend playing on one for a moment to gauge how you feel about screen size. However, just to get down to the main point... As far as handling day to day functions and apps, the 640 does well. Yes there may be a stutter here or there but it is minimal (especially compared to android phones with similar specs). The question is really if you want to forego the big screen and better camera for a stint. Is cost a factor and are you itching to move to another platform?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you consider the 640XL? Should be good for you since it has the same internals with the 640 but with a larger screen (5.7') so it will definitely not be a drastic change from your 6' 1520. Also the XL has bigger battery thus better battery life, and it has better rear/ffc camera as well compared to the 640.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a 1520, you may want to consider a 640XL if available at your end and if it suits your budget. It is much closer to the 1520 in terms of dimensions, battery life is good and it runs the latest version of the Insiders Build very smoothly - no resuming screens, no lag and no stutter. Sure there are some glitches, but that is more a function of W10M and not of the hardware. The rear camera is good the FFC is adequate for Skype etc. I have the Dual SIM and LTE version. To be very honest, the only weakness that I think the 640XL has is the 8GB of internal storage. In my opinion, it should have been a minimum of 16GB. But it is what it is. I use the MicroSD card. I have a 64GB card (some apps, music, videos and documents get stored on it) which I will upgrade to a 128GB card as and when needed. I dshould also add that the 640 XL has been - in my experience - a sturdy phone. I have dropped it twice from a height and nothing happened to it - not even a scratch on the device. I also notice that I use it more roughly than my 1520 (which is also running W10M ver .76). Lastly, I have to say that the 640XL is one of the most comfortable phones I have ever handled.

Also, all what I have mentioned above with reference to the 640XL applies to the 640 too - this is what I gather from reading a lot of user opinions. I think the camera on the 640 is a little weaker than that compared to the XL version, but that is about it.

I don't think you will go wrong picking either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3