Updating an unlocked att 640 go phone to Windows 10

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi. After reading that FB may no longer be updating its app for Win 8.1 (a friend uses this) and being a little bored I decided to update one of my 640's to windows 10. First time I've ever done that or seen Windows 10 on a phone. I use it on my laptops.

I used the advisor app to do it and it brought me up to Windows 10 mobile Version 1607 OS build 10.0.14393.953.

Okay so I noticed while going through settings that in settings/system/notifications & actions that near the bottom of that section, under get notifications from these senders, two of the listed things (maybe first one is onedrive?) have addresses instead of names.

Update: I was able to fix it with a reset.

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Nice to see you going the Win10 route. Care to share how your experience with it was so far?

Please note that the Creator's Update is coming to Windows 10 Mobile on April 25 which reportedly makes the OS about 20% faster.

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi Greedo greedy.

Sure - I have an extra 640 so I used that to upgrade from its original win 8.1 to win 10. After I did the upgrade I then did a reset since I noticed some little issues... I think I would have done the reset anyway just to clear out any old stuff on it - sort of like a clean install.

So far I'm very impressed with Windows 10 mobile. It's fast and smooth. I think it is faster and smoother than 8.1. It also starts up faster. I like the camera app better than Lumia and I like the maps too now with built in turn by turn navigation. I put my MP3s on it and I like the Groove app better than the xbox music app that works with it. Edge is pretty fast. Win 10 looks a lot better than 8.1. I like that the behavior and settings are very similar to the desktop version of Win 10. There is a tiny issue (for me) in outlook mail where the enter key does not bring the cursor down from "to" to subject field (like in 8.1) but not a big deal since I can tap it after tapping contact. I recently finally upgraded my laptop (for the 4th time) back to Windows 10 and I think it finally is working very well. That and the FB issue is why I decided to do the phone. Anyway, Windows 10 is working great on the 640 for me. I think it is better than 8.1.

Last edited:

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Now that I've used it for a little bit, I do think 8.1 is slightly faster and smoother with some things. Also, I like that 8.1 always makes it clear you have pressed something with appropriate animation. Windows 10 mobile, especially in the settings area, sometimes gives no clue (it doesn't always show the gray animation) that you have pressed something and you just wait a little bit to see if it will go. Also, the general settings area is all pretty small. Still, I think I am going to stick with it on this phone.

bprashant19

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Can someone compare latest anniversary update .1066 and latest creators update .138 for mobile and tell which one is smoother. I am want to get creators update on my L635. But dont want to screw it up as its my daily driver.

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
After playing with the phone a few days, I decided to go back to Win 8.1 on the 2 devices I put W10 Mobile on. Personally, I didn't care for the keyboard on W10 Mobile. I found it a lot smaller than the one in Win 8.1 (with it set on large) and word flow seemed less accurate and the enter key did not work as expected in email/messaging in terms of moving the cursor from field to field. Also much of the text in the OS is a lot smaller (like in settings) and harder to read and finger. Animations did not always work in settings so when you press something you have to wait to see if the press was registered. The friend I set it up for did not like W10 Mobile at all and asked me to put back win 8.1 so I used the windows recovery tool to do both of our 640's which worked fine.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The text is scalable in W10M if the default was too small for you. But I agree with your criticism of the keyboard and predictive text. There are many things I like better, but a few others definitely took a step backwards (keyboard, Cortana, Groove).

That said, Redstone 2 in the fast ring (15063.2) is much better than the last version of the release ring I used. You might want to give that a look before you give up on W10M.

tomseys

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah i put win 10 back on one device so i can monitor it. At first, i had to do the insider build route, as the upgrade advisor app was suddenly not offering win 10 upgrade to win 8.1 (it had a week before). Noticed this morning upgrade advisor is now offering the win 10 upgrade (on another 640) and i used wdrt to bring back the insider phone to 8.1, and used advisor to bring back to win 10. Did reset. Anyway, I'll check out how CU turns out and use this extra phone to see how w10 progresses. I think support for 8.1 ends in July and not sure what that will mean exactly in terms of functioning impact so I guess it makes sense to keep an eye on win 10.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The Slow ring will get you CU today on your 640. Release preview will not.

Do NOT take the fast ring. It'll get you RS3 and the only way to get back is with hard reset or WDRT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3