Lumia 650 on AT&T with LTE?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If it's the Euro model, most likely not, or maybe you'll get one band (of not LTE). Wait for the Americas version.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So for AT&T you need:
GSM (2G): 850 / 1900
HSPA+ (3G): 850 / 1900
LTE (4G): Band 17 @ 700 MHz / Band 4 @ 1700 & 2100 MHz / Band 2 @ 1900 MHz

The site you ordered from really doesn't show spec, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it is the Great Britain Country Variant.

According to Microsoft UK the Radio should be;
2G: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G: 850/ 900 / 2100
4G: Band 1 @ 2100 MHz / Band 3 @ 1800 MHz / Band 7 @ 2600 MHz / Band 8 @ 900 MHz / Band 20 @ 800 MHz

That's a horrible match. I'd suggest canceling the order if you can and buying from somewhere in North, Central or South America..

In the US, Cricket will have a short lead on this phone before it goes wider in distribution. Cricket is an odd duck in that it is the only mvno to lock the SIM tray so that not even an AT&T SIM will work in it. Most other ATT mvnos don't need an unlock to run ANY SIM connected to ATT towers. Cricket is a tough nut to crack for using their branded phone off network, even with their parent company ATT.

B&H Photo is usually a great source for imported Factory Unlocked Windows Phones from the Latin America Markets which are a supurb match for US carrier frequencies.They are not even offering preorder on the 650 yet...

Terrigno

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info. But does that mean the phone will not work at all with my AT&T sim? It will come today and I will be able to see. They told me at the site that there shouldn't be any issues with it working for me in the US.

Originally posted by RumoredNow
So for AT&T you need:
GSM (2G): 850 / 1900
HSPA+ (3G): 850 / 1900
LTE (4G): Band 17 @ 700 MHz / Band 4 @ 1700 & 2100 MHz / Band 2 @ 1900 MHz

The site you ordered from really doesn't show spec, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it is the Great Britain Country Variant.

According to Microsoft UK the Radio should be;
2G: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G: 850/ 900 / 2100
4G: Band 1 @ 2100 MHz / Band 3 @ 1800 MHz / Band 7 @ 2600 MHz / Band 8 @ 900 MHz / Band 20 @ 800 MHz

That's a horrible match. I'd suggest canceling the order if you can and buying from somewhere in North, Central or South America..

In the US, Cricket will have a short lead on this phone before it goes wider in distribution. Cricket is an odd duck in that it is the only mvno to lock the SIM tray so that not even an AT&T SIM will work in it. Most other ATT mvnos don't need an unlock to run ANY SIM connected to ATT towers. Cricket is a tough nut to crack for using their branded phone off network, even with their parent company ATT.

B&H Photo is usually a great source for imported Factory Unlocked Windows Phones from the Latin America Markets which are a supurb match for US carrier frequencies.They are not even offering preorder on the 650 yet...

viper_13

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Got the NAM CV from Microsoft Store last week. I only get 4G with AT&T when in NYC, but I do get LTE with AT&T when in Philadelphia. Just noticed today.

At least it seems to reassure me that LTE is there with AT&T.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks @rumorednow, this is great info to have. I am saving it to have handy, would really like to get the 650 and don't understand why it is so limited in the US.

For LTE service do you need all those bands or are different bands used in different cities, in which case it might work some places and not others? I am asking because I see where the RM-1154 variant has bands 2 & 4 but not Band 17 so not sure what that means.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
thanks @rumorednow, this is great info to have. I am saving it to have handy, would really like to get the 650 and don't understand why it is so limited in the US.

For LTE service do you need all those bands or are different bands used in different cities, in which case it might work some places and not others? I am asking because I see where the RM-1154 variant has bands 2 & 4 but not Band 17 so not sure what that means.

Yeah, it's market dependent... However, AT&T is moving heavily toward 700 MHz (Band 17) since it penetrates buildings better. Similarly T-Mo is using Band 12 @ 700 MHz and ATT is now also moving that way with interoperability for legacy Band 17 devices in place. Band 12 is just a bit wider than Band 17.

Band 17 is the one you probably want most in a device on AT&T. And it would be the favored Band in urban areas. You'd have to check with ATT to confirm which Band(s) are in use in your market and what future plans are.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got a 650 from Cricket which uses AT&T Bands and LTE works. I was told by the Cricket store employee that it will automatically unlock after 6 months. I'm not stupid enough to believe that, but does anyone know if Cricket will at least unlock it on request after 6 months?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, Sir.

I hopped into my time machine and went back to December of 2014 and banged that out for you: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ca...atching-radios-carriers-how-run-unlocked.html

:winktongue:

Not only do I appreciate your apparent time traveling ability - say hi to the Man Who Folded Himself, for me, I also appreciate your REM reference in the article. :D
On a serious note, that article was exactly what I've been looking for. You explained everything in a very easy to understand way. I can honestly say that all of my questions regarding carrier waves have been answered. Thank you for putting it all together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos