Does the back camera lens easily scratch?

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 650 from the Microsoft store. I have had the phone less than 24 hours and already have a fair number of scratches on the camera lens. They are not deep and could possibly be filled if I used some solution found on the web for removing scratches. But, I wanted to ask other 650 owners if they noticed the back camera lens scratch easily, if not quickly after their purchase.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 650 from the Microsoft store. I have had the phone less than 24 hours and already have a fair number of scratches on the camera lens. They are not deep and could possibly be filled if I used some solution found on the web for removing scratches. But, I wanted to ask other 650 owners if they noticed the back camera lens scratch easily, if not quickly after their purchase.

could you take some test shots to see if the scratches are affecting performance?

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
It will be a while before I can take some test shots. Since I've had the phone less than 24 hours I was debating on exchanging it, but not if the next phone was going to have the same or similar issue.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It will be a while before I can take some test shots. Since I've had the phone less than 24 hours I was debating on exchanging it, but not if the next phone was going to have the same or similar issue.

exchange it and show the scratches at the store to see what they say

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Camera lens scratches are same (or easier) as scratching the screen since screens are usually made of better quality glass (Gorilla Glass X) than the camera lens. If you leave your phone in situations where it's bound to happen then it'll scratch.

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Camera lens scratches are same (or easier) as scratching the screen since screens are usually made of better quality glass (Gorilla Glass X) than the camera lens. If you leave your phone in situations where it's bound to happen then it'll scratch.

The point is I have had the phone less than 24 hours, and in that time I have not allowed the phone to be mishandled or placed on rough surfaces (face up or down), or put in a pocket with my car keys, etc. The scratches should not, in my humble opinion, have taken place. If it's fragile, I guess I will make due. I had a Lumia 640 XL for 72 hours prior to picking this up and the lens did not scratch one bit. I also had a Lumia 640 without a case for 5 months and it wasn't treated any better (or worse) than the 650.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is odd for it to scratch so fast. I've had phones for years without a scratch over the lens. One reason to keep it in a case is it elevates the lens up off of surfaces when laid flat on its back.

I would seek warranty though.

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I am swinging by the Microsoft store on my lunch and will chat with the store. I do not know how warranty works with these phones and if they will make a big deal about me not having everything on my person. (box is at home, but I brought the charger with me to work)

More to follow in a little over an hour from now.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The point is I have had the phone less than 24 hours, and in that time I have not allowed the phone to be mishandled or placed on rough surfaces (face up or down), or put in a pocket with my car keys, etc. The scratches should not, in my humble opinion, have taken place. If it's fragile, I guess I will make due. I had a Lumia 640 XL for 72 hours prior to picking this up and the lens did not scratch one bit. I also had a Lumia 640 without a case for 5 months and it wasn't treated any better (or worse) than the 650.
My point was the glass surface would not have scratched itself on its own, unless it was possessed :p. That leaves 2 possibilities, 1) either the glass was already scratched when you received your phone for which you can claim a warranty replacement or 2) You accidentally did something that might have unknowingly scratched it, for which Microsoft or any other manufacturer wouldn't provide you a repair/replacement.

Regardless, reach out to Microsoft and see how they respond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers