US only: which carriers/stores do you think will have the 950XL?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Windows Phone sales have in my opinion always originated with the fact that there aren't any where most people buy phones. That's sort of a big problem, right?

So do you think Microsoft has managed to figure out this problem? Will we see Costco, Best Buy, mall shops, Target, Wal-Mart, franchise carrier stores etc sell this phone? They used to only sell the low end prepaid phones, if that (most plainly had none).

Do you think it will be sold unlocked directly from Microsoft? That's what I hope for myself, to be honest. However that won't ship a lot of units, because people would have to seek it out. Microsoft really need to put these phones out where people see them!

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
There's already an article on CNet quoting a MS Exec saying the 950/XL are exclusive to AT&T in the US. If this is true, it's ridiculous and arrogant IMO. Yes you can buy them unlocked from the MS store, but that means no WiFi calling for TMo users, no 0% financing or leasing options from your existing carrier (I'm sorry but if I had to purchase all of my phones outright I would still be carrying a flip phone), minimal carrier support with any issues. This was not what I was hoping for.

Not a happy camper.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
All you need to know...

Microsoft's new Lumia phones are exclusive to AT&T in the US - CNET

cnet said:
The Redmond, Washington, company earlier Tuesday unveiled the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, which are positioned as the flagship smartphones using its Windows 10 software. When they hit the US market in November, they will only be available through AT&T, according to a Microsoft executive.

Also from the article...

cnet said:
AT&T confirmed it would be carrying the Lumia 950, but didn't mention the Lumia 950 XL.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If they truly are yet another AT&T exclusive, they're another Lumia that's practically dead in the water on launch.
If they mean that AT&T are the only carrier that will have a branded version and that it will be available unlocked from Microsoft and others, but not from other carriers, that makes it a little better. I really hope that's the case. I'm not buying another locked AT&T phone.

Edit: Ah the article has been updated to say it's not an exclusive deal. At least there's that.

Still... From the article: "Microsoft believes it will get more of a focused promotional push of its devices through a single carrier."

What's that popular definition of insanity? "Keep doing the same thing and expect different results"? Hasn't Microsoft tried this before? How did that work out...? Oh yeah the 1520 and 1020, for example... Sold in the tens of thousands, I'm sure... Come on Microsoft. Get your act together.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and the article also updated this piece (which is the ONLY one i saw an hour after it posted)

The Redmond, Washington, company earlier Tuesday unveiled the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, which are positioned as the flagship smartphones using its Windows 10 software. When the Lumia 950 hit the US market in November, it will only be available through AT&T, according to a Microsoft executive.

so no word on the 950xl directly from at&t

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
and the article also updated this piece (which is the ONLY one i saw an hour after it posted)

so no word on the 950xl directly from at&t

No word on that, but they will be offering unlocked ones at the MS Store that will work fine on AT&T or T-Mobile. I tried to pre-order one today, but the best I could do was to sign up for notification when they are ready to take pre-orders.

<TED>

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The same issues for me and the main reason I switched to Android last year: availability. Not available on my carrier means I probably won't get one soon and by the time I can get one, something else will probably be out by then. It's a shame it's not as easy to get these new devices as it is to get anything else I want. I really hope people go out and buy buy buy to keep them afloat.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

easyejl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of hoping that at those prices, they bundle in some accessories like they did at the 920 launch (the free qi chargers and I forget what else)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss