Lumia 950 XL - Does it support stylus input/inking?

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
This hasn't been talked about much since launch and it is one of my biggest concerns. MS has the opportunity to seriously compete with the Galaxy Note phones here and would be missing out if this phone won't support inking.

frnlh

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason that I'm looking for that would make me upgrade my phone, instead of just updating the software on my 1520.

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure there will be 3rd party stylus + flip covers but will MS Onenote even register a 3rd party stylus as inking? Or will it only accept typed input? Has anyone tried a 3rd party capacitive stylus on their WP and used it with Onenote? If so what was your experience like? If it works well with Onenote then I have no other concerns as that is what I will be using it for primarily; taking notes in meetings and notating photos I take in the warehouse.

thomasthomaslai

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
yes. it seemed like most rumored feature is confirmed except this one. Can any expert confirm. I am not sure if it's a deal breaker yet but it is sure nice feature to have.

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello from Germany, at the moment i use a Note 4 from Samsung and like to switch to Windows 950XL, but only with a Stylissupport.
There was rumors that the surface Pen can be used with the lumia 950xl or not?
What has to happen to read or hear about the Stylus Support from official Place like Microsoft?

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Seems to be a nice Idea, but i dont have a Microsoft Store here in Germany, where i live.
It would be very nice, if someone from New York could try onenote with the surface Pen(i have two at home), that would we be a nice Info for the community.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I went to a MS store today to check out the 950 XL and found out that this question is pretty much moot, at least for now: the OneNote app on it DOES NOT LET YOU DRAW OR HANDWRITE. At all. With anything, be it stylus, finger or a hotdog.

The OneNote on my 4 year old POS Android has drawing. This is simply astonishing.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Yep, the Microsoft rep tried the Surface pen for me in One Note and it did not work on the 950XL. He said we would not be getting it in this model.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure there will be 3rd party stylus + flip covers but will MS Onenote even register a 3rd party stylus as inking? Or will it only accept typed input? Has anyone tried a 3rd party capacitive stylus on their WP and used it with Onenote? If so what was your experience like? If it works well with Onenote then I have no other concerns as that is what I will be using it for primarily; taking notes in meetings and notating photos I take in the warehouse.

Any capacitive stylus is going to work with the phone. There are plenty of options that have a fine tip, but they are not precise for handwriting.
What you need is active stylus support, which is not yet confirmed.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The interesting thing is that WP10 seems to be prepared to be set up for inking.
If you go into the settings you'll see a section that's labeled as "typing, inking, something" or "something, inking, something". It's in the additional settings.

Last edited:

dcoffing

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Remember... everything out is still pre-production including the OS so don't make a decision based on what the stores currently have if you concerned about inking or using a stylus in OneNote. When the final release comes out at the end of the month then lets see what is supported in the Universal App at that time for inking. I can see stylus support but I don't think supporting the Surface Pen is critical but supporting a capacitance stylus would be desirable.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL - Does it support stylus input/inking?
I think it will, but they couldn't get it finished without delaying the phones and as we have seen, there are already mass suicides over rumors of even small delays.

I expect it to be added. Unless it is part of Surface phones (likely) AND adding it to the 950s would make the Surface more of a "why get this instead of a 950?" Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did to add 4K video taking to the 1520.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3