In Depth Camera Review/Hands-On

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess we can expect same kind of WOW effect from low light images the 920 introduced back in days. Why i say this? Well 920 have 1/3.2 inch sensor and f2/.0 aperture. 950/XL have 1/2.4 inch sensor and f/1.9 aperture. There is 3 years between from 920 times and these for sensor technique to improve and add to mix hexa core prosessors and more advanced chipset.

Lumia 1520/930 had same sized sensors like 950/XL but aperture was f/2.4. That was compensated by much improved OIS which allowed crazy long exposure to take amazing low light shot. Now we are in fifth generation OIS which should be even better. Together with large aperture and improved OIS i bet 950/XL takes killer low light images. And even better, video quality should be greatly improved on low light situations too. My 1520 have crazy amount of noise in even lightly dimmed situations and that is just due that small aperture.

And close up shots should show amazing bokeh effects too. It is just so much better to have large aperture if you can't adjust it. Sharpness can be improved by software if that's what you are after. And ofcourse moving object should appear way sharper than before.

My only gripe is that wide angle lens which i have never liked. It just distorts image from sides and looks bit unnatural for me. I would have preferred something like 28mm lens.

Anyways i think we are having a real treat here. :smile:

920 sensor size 4,54 x 3,42 = 15,53mm[SUP]2
[/SUP]1520 sensor size 5,76 x 4,29 = 24,7mm[SUP]2[/SUP]
950/XL sensor size 5,92 x 4,57 = 27,05mm[SUP]2[/SUP]

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing that's interesting is that at the end of the first video right at the end the rep mentions that he camera has phase pixel autofocus - that's exciting!

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if it is this or something more advanced? My guess is that it have Toshiba sensors with PDAF. That would be great stuff especially for videos. My 1520 sucks at autofocusing.

All the latest high end smartphones seems to use phase detect autofocus now, so its nothing fancy new tech.

Last edited:

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Love it, and i like that the speed is back! Just look how quickly it launches :eek:
They mentioned it ran in the background at all times. We won't notice it but it's probably one of the reasons why battery life isn't super amazing either. But I'm definitely excited!

One thing that's interesting is that at the end of the first video right at the end the rep mentions that he camera has phase pixel autofocus - that's exciting!
Good catch! Hope that translates to even better focusing at night for even better low-light-photos

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
oh finally we get 60fps, and only for the latest obviously, you know, its not like 2012 droids with the same soc as 92x series can do 60fps or even 120fps already

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While it all looks good they still need to work on the software. Basics like Panorama no longer exist. 120 fps continuous shooting exists on other device etc.

I'm sure the phone is capable but it may take 6 months to get the best (and even some of the basics) out of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3