950-950xl 3rd party covers, what do you think?

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
What do you think of the 3rd party back covers for the 950-950xl? I think they look amazing!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• IMG_20151008_154342_922.jpg
    IMG_20151008_154342_922.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 188

Bishbash93

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I really do prefer the original intended design of the phones and would love a blue option with the proper Windows logo and Pureview Zeiss branding, not a third party's.

However, I think it's fantastic that they've already got a third party company lined up to start making all these different and pretty interesting cases a la Moto Maker (especially the metal banded ones - that'll help a lot of people who liked the 930/830 design).

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I prefer them without any logo at all. Thing is even if they put the Windows logo on them, the Mozo one would probably be there as well.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Does that mean the silver bits are metal coated plastic? I can see that chipping and looking really cheap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the black in genuine leather. That is premium.

The other problem as always is protection. Unfortunately I am probably going to have to opt for a fugly case. I like the leather but I can't justify pay in $50+ for something that doesn't even protect the screen.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The other problem as always is protection. Unfortunately I am probably going to have to opt for a fugly case. I like the leather but I can't justify pay in $50+ for something that doesn't even protect the screen.

I've always hated cases. I didn't buy a phone I liked to stuff it into some silcone wrapper. But when the sides and back of the device are replaceable, what exactly are you expecting a cover to protect? Replace the whole back if it gets damaged/scratched. And enjoy the phone without unnecessary covers.

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Polycarb should help with the drop test. I would like it if it came with corner bumpers and something to give the screen some protection....I love that leather back in the pic, definitely going to be something I look at. I would also love some extra features, like integrated angle stand, lanyard loop.

Would you guys like a case that was all aluminum with a stand and transparent silicone QI area that lets you see the bright copper QI antenna?

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mozo statement about logo on their Instagram

Many people are asking about Microsoft logo. Unfortunately that is not possible. These covers are designed and manufactured by Mozo and they are not Microsoft products. These covers have been designed in close cooperation with Microsoft to ensure the perfect fit. We hope you like our designs regardless��..

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Does that mean the silver bits are metal coated plastic? I can see that chipping and looking really cheap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the black in genuine leather. That is premium.

It's probably composite grain polycarbonate, which may add up the price tag a bit because of the method used.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I've always hated cases. I didn't buy a phone I liked to stuff it into some silcone wrapper. But when the sides and back of the device are replaceable, what exactly are you expecting a cover to protect? Replace the whole back if it gets damaged/scratched. And enjoy the phone without unnecessary covers.

That's a good idea. What do you use to protect the screen, though?

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's a good idea. What do you use to protect the screen, though?

Personally, nothing. Well, my pocket, I guess. But no covers protect the screen themselves -- well, I suppose the recent popularity of "flip covers" do afford some protection there; people use various screen protector sheets for that. Nothing stopping anyone from using those without a cover, either.

If the phone is so fragile you have to surround it with rubber bumpers and bulletproof acrylic, why does anyone want it anyway? I've had my Lumia 1020 for almost 2 years. One scratch; probably got that two days after I got the phone. Not a single scratch since, and nobody'd see that one scratch without tilting it in reflective light specifically looking for it anyway, since it's very tiny.

The last time I ever used a screen protector was for an old original-version Windows Phone back in the stylus days, and then because they didn't have fancy things like Gorilla Glass, and you were actually scratching as plastic stylus across it to use it. But I do remember one day ripping the stupid thing off; I wanted to see the screen, not some plastic thing with the screen behind it. :)

If you have to have a cover to use a phone day to day, the phone is designed poorly.

If you have to cover the screen with a protection sheet of plastic, the phone is designed poorly.

I want a smartphone I can use, not a device I fear breaking or damaging every time I pick it up or look at it sideways. :)

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, nothing. Well, my pocket, I guess. But no covers protect the screen themselves -- well, I suppose the recent popularity of "flip covers" do afford some protection there; people use various screen protector sheets for that. Nothing stopping anyone from using those without a cover, either.

If the phone is so fragile you have to surround it with rubber bumpers and bulletproof acrylic, why does anyone want it anyway? I've had my Lumia 1020 for almost 2 years. One scratch; probably got that two days after I got the phone. Not a single scratch since, and nobody'd see that one scratch without tilting it in reflective light specifically looking for it anyway, since it's very tiny.

The last time I ever used a screen protector was for an old original-version Windows Phone back in the stylus days, and then because they didn't have fancy things like Gorilla Glass, and you were actually scratching as plastic stylus across it to use it. But I do remember one day ripping the stupid thing off; I wanted to see the screen, not some plastic thing with the screen behind it. :)

If you have to have a cover to use a phone day to day, the phone is designed poorly.

If you have to cover the screen with a protection sheet of plastic, the phone is designed poorly.

I want a smartphone I can use, not a device I fear breaking or damaging every time I pick it up or look at it sideways. :)
All very reasonable answers.
I threw a Nokia C1 at the wall in the heat of the moment once... y'know what happened? LCD broke. Screen (plastic) was perfectly fine. The phone itself? Perfectly fine. No damages at all on the body. No broken mics, no broken speakers.
I miss those old days.

And yeah, I agree with you, if you are handling your phone correctly and being aware of it then you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking or shattering.
Have multiple things to carry? Put the phone in your pocket. Talking on the phone while carrying things? Hang up and put it away---or use a headset. Don't run with a phone in your hand...

BUT I do see the reasoning for people to get a silicone base or a tempered screen protector. It's insurance/piece of mind. Or maybe it's temporary for the work environment.

Like in my case... I used a silicone case for my L830 and a flip cover on my L1520 when I bring it to work because it's pretty dirty. I don't always use my phone at work but I have it sitting on my toolbox in case I get an emergency text/call. (I work at a garage).

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I actually don't like leather backs. I'd rather prefer them to offer regular polycarbonate backs with different colors and different frames. Just like the red/gold option, it looked great as a tiny pic, but with actual close up of the final design that red leather doesn't really spark my interest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3