950 AT&T version vs MS store unlocked--will it be the same issue as with iPhone 6s?

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
It looks like there might be more to the story about the AT&T-carried 950 family than meets the eye. Consider the article from The Verge from 10/9 entitled, "Can't use AT&T's Wi-Fi calling with your iPhone? This could be why".

First off, there's the consideration that AT&T has a special version of the 6S that includes support for the WCS band, which will eventually lead to faster LTE in some markets. When you buy the T-Mobile version and use it on AT&T, you won't be able to take advantage of WCS. This is a relatively minor consideration, because WCS is just now rolling out and won't have a dramatic impact; it's something to think about, though.

But when you drop an AT&T SIM into the T-Mobile iPhone, some unpleasant things happen on the back end. AT&T's systems appear to automatically de-register you from Voice over LTE (VoLTE), which means you will drop to 4G whenever you make or receive a call and you won't be able to use HD Voice. AT&T is aggressively expanding its VoLTE footprint right now, so it's arguably more important than the WCS issue.

And here's something else: AT&T's systems tie VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling together, which means that if your account isn't registered for VoLTE service, you won't be able to use Wi-Fi calling, either.

AT&T is almost as bad as Verizon.

Consider this before buying a new unlocked 950/XL from the MS store to work on AT&T. You might be caught up in something like this.

Those of us on T-Mobile are in a better spot.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It looks like there might be more to the story about the AT&T-carried 950 family than meets the eye. Consider the article from The Verge from 10/9 entitled, "Can't use AT&T's Wi-Fi calling with your iPhone? This could be why".

And here's something else: AT&T's systems tie VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling together, which means that if your account isn't registered for VoLTE service, you won't be able to use Wi-Fi calling, either.

AT&T is almost as bad as Verizon.

Consider this before buying a new unlocked 950/XL from the MS store to work on AT&T. You might be caught up in something like this.

Those of us on T-Mobile are in a better spot.
The article quote is saying losing WiFi calling is the biggest issue. So how are we better off on T-Mobile? Are you saying the 950 or 950XL will have WiFi calling on T-Mobile even though T-Mobile doesn't sell them? I know its possible, just thought T-Mobile was as bad as the others by not allowing it on phones they didn't sell.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just find this to be interesting. It's messed up, yes, but still interesting that this can happen even if you have an iPhone that is said to be truly a phone that you can use on any carrier.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
yeah, wifi calling on T-Mo--today--isn't something they're letting the mfrs add on as a download.

Although, there's vague rumor that Android 6 will have it baked in.

I may wait to see what Win10 Mobile actually has when it's all released, before I jump. On the one hand, I hate having the carrier in control of software; on the other hand, I do use T-Mo wifi calling now and then. But I would give that up, I think, if need be. Losing that is a fair trade-off for getting away from carrier control.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The rest of the article...

But how did that happen? It's my understanding that AT&T certifies phones for Wi-Fi calling (and, by association, VoLTE) on a per-SKU basis; the AT&T models were obviously certified on day one, but the unlocked T-Mobile versions are not as of yet. They're going through certification at present, though ? and barring any hiccups, they should be ready soon. I believe that once that happens, you'll be able to enable Wi-Fi calling without issue.

In the meantime, you can call in to AT&T's customer service line if you like, but in my experience, they aren't well-prepared to deal with this error, and they don't understand what causes it when you call in. To make matters worse, the customer service team can't turn on VoLTE on your account themselves if you're using an uncertified device ? it requires that a special trouble ticket be filed. As of yesterday when I spoke to AT&T's tech team, the backlog for dealing with these trouble tickets was 11 days, I was told. If you're using a certified phone like the WCS-enabled model of the 6S, though, it's not a problem at all. "Any care rep can correct VoLTE provisioning as long as the user has a capable SIM and AT&T certified device," an AT&T spokesperson tells me.

Can't use AT&T's Wi-Fi calling with your iPhone? This could be why | The Verge

So based on what is said in the article if you open a trouble ticket it can be "dealt with" in 11 days. And there is allegedly a plan that is in action to rectify the issue for all TMobile iphone 6s.

Is waiting a week and a half for this feature really apocalyptic? Bringing it to our attention is certainly appreciated but it doesn't seem to be an insurmountable problem. What am I missing?

It does highlight why MSFT should have done a better job with the phone presentation. All these details and concerns should have been addressed. At least some of them should have been in a press kit.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have enough experience in this world to operate under the assumption that if a feature doesn't exist when you buy the product, assume the feature will never exist.

"Can be dealt with in 11 days". That's code word for "please hang up the phone so you can go about the business of forgetting what we allegedly promised you".

"Allegedly a plan to rectify this" is also code word for "please accept this empty promise and go away".

Either the feature exists, or it doesn't. Vague promises in the technology world mean nothing.

It's not a matter of waiting 11 days. It's a matter of believing a single word that comes out of their mouths--which I don't. You may; that's fine, that's up to you. But if the feature doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. Period.

The AT&T-supplied and -branded 950XL will have a feature in it that is exclusive to AT&T, and which will not come with the non-AT&T-supplied unlocked phone. Work with that information as you will.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hah!

I figured these egoistic carriers are up to no good (again). Hardly surprising, it's like they just can't help themselves....Just like doofenshmirtz... now where's Perry the platypus so he deal with these doofi :grincry: .

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's not a matter of waiting 11 days. It's a matter of believing a single word that comes out of their mouths--which I don't. You may; that's fine, that's up to you. But if the feature doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. Period.

If you purchase a phone and someone says you will have a feature in 11 days and you don't you can return the item for a full refund. I hardly think that is apocalyptic nor does it require a trust exercise.

And yeah I have tons of expensive shiny electronic devices littering my home that received major features through firmware updates months after purchase. Remember the 4k upgrade to the Lumia 1520? BMPCC raw upgrade? I mean according to the the very article you linked to a firm promise has been made that the issue is being worked on on two fronts and a time frame in days has been given. That is a lot better than the usual... "we'll look into it."

I think you are thoroughly misrepresenting this topic. The creative editing of the article was kind of cheap in my opinion. Give people the whole story and let them make up their minds. If people want to wait around for a whopping 11 days that is their business.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, see, I don't consider that a "firm promise".

Dealing with carriers is like dealing with the cable companies...

Anyway, I did give people the whole story--I referred to it specifically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3