950XL battery life comparing againts 950

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

How are the big phones to use as actual phones?
I don't usually go for the bigger phones, I prefer the standard sizes generally, I started at L920, 1020 and now have a 930, one broke and I bought a second one.

However seeing the spec differences between the 950 and XL are making me question which one to get.

I see the battery on the XL is 3340, it has more cores and processing power, Gorilla Glass 4 (although the Australian Microsoft site lists the 950 as having Gorilla Glass 4 too), but has less pixel density in the screen than the 950.

With the larger screen and processor, the battery life difference between the 2 phones would be negligible at best am I correct?
The camera is the same also.

Would I notice any difference with the octa-core processor over the hexa? I'm thinking I just take a stab and pre-order the XL for a change, but would be nice to hear from some L1520 owners on their thoughts.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Since i have both and I'm using them for 6 months I can explain you everything with FACTS about battery life and performance, just wait while I write my paper and I'll hand it to you

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I was just asking for an opinion from people who own 1520 and techies who know more about the hardware to chime in. Nobody owns these phones so im not expecting reviews.

A larger screen phone with bigger battery which the extra would obviously get used to power the more powerful CPU and screen. However the smaller phone packs better pixel density and more compact for ease of use. I'm just wondering what people would pick and from people who use the larger screened phones for their opinion. Not sure the smartass comment was warranted.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
You'll have to wait. Screen is amoled, and processors, while faster, are theoretically more efficient. Screen is smaller but has more pixels which will have its toll on the GPU.

No way to tell until the actual device comes out. The 930 should have been good at battery life but realistically it had horrid battery life. So best to wait rather than speculate.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
With the larger screen and processor, the battery life difference between the 2 phones would be negligible at best am I correct?
The camera is the same also.

Would I notice any difference with the octa-core processor over the hexa? I'm thinking I just take a stab and pre-order the XL for a change, but would be nice to hear from some L1520 owners on their thoughts.

First, I may be off on the technical side, but I believe the power consumption of the display on the 950 and 950XL to be identical. They are AMOLED screens which uses thousands of small LEDs to display an image - and since the resolution on both are the same...

So, if anything, the XL may provide better battery life overall (mAh per mAh) due to it having a faster processor.

As for the 1520 - I've used one (or more) since it was first released and while I found it incredibly huge at the beginning it didn't take more than a week or so to get used to it. Picking up a smaller phone now, any smaller phone, even the 640XL (which is similar in size to the 950XL) feels like a toy.

I've found the 1520 fits in all my pockets without a problem, I will take it out of some tighter fitting pants when driving, but mainly so I have easy access to it rather than anything. The 950XL should be a better fit all around, but personally I'd have preferred the 950XL still come with a 6" screen. Like I said, you get used to the size and compared to other "phablets" these days 6" isn't outrageously large any longer.

As for going 6- or 8- core, I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. Using certain apps may be faster on the XL, especially in Continuum, but Windows Phone^H 10 Mobile is fast enough either way. Heck, even a 640 with its SnapDragon 400 feels fast enough for most tasks, sure its slower than my 1520, but it's miles ahead of certain other phones using the same SoC.

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Great, thanks for the replies guys, I think I will go for a change and get the XL. I have a feeling I will regret it if I don't.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Battery life, highly depends on builds with 10, reasonable stats:

8.1, normal usage 2 days, bt and wifi all apps running in back ground etc, use as text and phone only up to 5 days(close apps ones you use, by and WiFi off)

Under latest 10 mobile builds, same usage as normal person 1.5 days to 2 sometimes less than a day, strange bugs in build.

Under 512 release much like 8.1

There rough guides :) from personal exp. Against a higher res smaller battery phone we don't know. I will take 950xl though!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
No way to tell until the actual device comes out. The 930 should have been good at battery life but realistically it had horrid battery life. So best to wait rather than speculate.

The thing is that the 930 actually had a pretty small battery in comparison to other devices with it's display.

Take, for example the Galaxy S5. The S5 had similar specs, along with a 5 inch display, & 1080p. Both the S5 and the 930 came out around the same time. But the S5 has a battery with capacity of 2800 mAh, as compared to the Icon's 2420. The battery was always underwhelming.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Id expect it to have similar battery life to the 1520 since they have similar screen sizes and battery sizes and i heard the 1520's battery life was pretty good. Of course there are more differences between the devices hardware and OS so it wont be as cut and dry but thats the best we can do for now

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P have similar specs to the 950 and 950XL for battery but the qHD screen on the Lumia devices are the big question. I would have preferred the 950 with a 1080p screen and then the battery life would have been stellar. The 640 has a 720p screen and I consistently get 2 days use out of that phone.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Official specs:

950xl (dual sim/canada)
[FONT=wf_segoeui]battery[SUP]6[/SUP][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoeui]replaceable battery
3340mah
3.8v
built-in wireless charging, fast charging
wireless charging standard: Qi
max standby time: Up to 300 hours
max talk time: Up to 19 hours
max music playback time: 70 hr
max wi-fi network browsing time: 9 hr
max video playback time: 11 hr[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoeui]
950[/FONT]
(dual sim/canada)[FONT=wf_segoeui]
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]Battery[SUP]6[/SUP][/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]Replaceable battery
3000mAh
3.8V
Built-in wireless charging, fast charging
Wireless charging standard: Qi
Max standby time: Up to 275 hr
Max talk time: Up to 18 hr
Max music playback time: 63 hr
Max Wi-Fi network browsing time: 11 hr
Max video playback time: 10 hr[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoeui]1520 (single sim/US)
[/FONT]
  • Battery2
    • Replaceable battery: No
    • Battery capacity: 3400 mAh
    • Battery voltage: 3.8 V
    • Charging: Built-in wireless charging
    • Wireless charging standard: Qi
    • Maximum standby time: 32 days
    • Maximum talk time (2G): 27.4 h
    • Maximum talk time (3G): 25.1 h
    • Maximum music playback time: 124 h
    • Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 13.6 h
    • Maximum video playback time: 10.8 h

640XL[FONT=wf_segoeui] (single sim/US)[/FONT]
Replaceable battery: Yes
Battery capacity: 3000 mAh
Battery voltage: 3.8 V
Maximum standby time: 37 days
Maximum talk time (2G): 30.3 h
Maximum talk time (3G): 24 h
Maximum music playback time: 98 h
Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 14.2 h
Maximum video playback time: 10.7 h

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that the 930 actually had a pretty small battery in comparison to other devices with it's display.

Take, for example the Galaxy S5. The S5 had similar specs, along with a 5 inch display, & 1080p. Both the S5 and the 930 came out around the same time. But the S5 has a battery with capacity of 2800 mAh, as compared to the Icon's 2420. The battery was always underwhelming.
I've seen other devices with less battery that lasted longer... It just wasn't designed well... Even the iPhone lasted longer... And that was hard! Cuz that device didn't last long at all!!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

euler74

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
o4komodo : Thanks for putting up the specs. Looking at it, I would presume that 950xl would last around 1 day if your 1520 lasted 1.5 days. Thats ~75% of the 1520's stamina. But with power saver mode, you can ooze out a few extra hours. I really wish the 950 had a 5" 1080p screen instead of a qhd and a little cheaper. I really dont like big screen phones. Anyway, lets hope for the best! hehe

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably just the amount of added cpu/gpu power but am disappointed that with a smaller screen the 950XL didn't manage to last as long as the 1520. More pixels and more cores are probably eating things up but even standby time is a fraction as long which means that the 950XL even sleeping has more going on.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think XL is better from 950.Because his battery is large and gave us long time.
I agree. But the XL also has a more powerful processor and bigger pixels both of which will use more battery. So the battery life between 950 and 950XL won't just be the percent difference in battery capacity. Still the XL should run longer on a charge so if the larger size (or greater cost) isn't an issue, get the XL. I am.,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3