950 camera much better than 930?

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I always loved Nokia so I always had Nokia phones even when the first Iphone came out. I had both phones cause I live in a Mac ecosystem. I went for art direction school and I always used mac since I was 15, even before the Ipod came out.
I have a Lumia 930 as my second phone and an Iphone 6+ as my main phone. I cant live without apps like Goodnotes and it?s only available on IOS. I use Goodnotes for everything: work, university and personal. Onenote doesn't even come closer to Goodnotes(In terms of note taking w/ stylus). I tried Squid(ex-Papyrus) for Windows Phone and its a joke!
Anyway, do you guys think I will see decent increase in the photo quality between a 930 v.s. 950?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure yet, the phone is not in the hands of many people besides the reviewers... Once the phone is released then maybe we'll know for sure.

The ICON/930, is not a true 20mb camera as it cant take a full 20mp picture, just a 15/16mb picture (don't remember the exact numbers), if the 950 can take a true 20mp camera, then it might be hair better.

Anyway about it, the 929/930's camera is very impressive, if it's going to be better, maybe by a little, not by a ton.....

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure yet, the phone is not in the hands of many people besides the reviewers... Once the phone is released then maybe we'll know for sure.

The ICON/930, is not a true 20mb camera as it cant take a full 20mp picture, just a 15/16mb picture (don't remember the exact numbers), if the 950 can take a true 20mp camera, then it might be hair better.

Anyway about it, the 929/930's camera is very impressive, if it's going to be better, maybe by a little, not by a ton.....
The 950 is not a "true" 20mp camera either. But Nokia has always made it clear that it's not about the MP.
Especially when you consider Nokia (MSFT) use of MP. (oversampling, "digital zooming")

Also this explains the use of megapixels and why it's not always 20mp or sometimes you get odd numbers like 8.7mp. In the new 950/XL's 20mp sensor's case we have 5mp (oversampled) + 16mp full images at a 16:9.
And... get this... 5mp (oversampled) + 19mp full images at 4:3.

(This picture is from the Nokia N9's camera where it was labeled as a 8.7mp vs an 8mp and is just for demonstration purposes. Same rules apply to the 950/XL. Thus giving the N9 a "true 8mp 16:9 photo")
Nxx-sensor-specs.jpg

But the phone definitely takes better photo and video than the 1520/930/Icon. It focuses better and faster, has sharper imaging, better color and a higher depth of view.
(I played with it in store to compare)

Last edited:

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Of course, one should probably use the correct numbers when attempting to explain it. :)

The Lumia 1520 sensor is 5376 x 3744 pixels so presumably that's likely what the 950 and 950 XL sensor also offers since both aare described as "20MP" sensors.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Of course, what? Of course the 950 camera is much better than 930?

Your post proceeded from talking about the 950 and 20MP cameras (specifically 'The 950 is not a "true" 20mp camera either') into a chart showing an 8.7MP image sensor which, along your text, seems an implication that you are saying the 20MP sensor really is only 8.7MP. I suggested you would be better to actually use the correct numbers for the sensor you're discussing (or perhaps mention the diagram is for a much lower resolution sensor) to show how the measure is made and how the sensor size isn't 100% the same as the image that is taken using it.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Your post proceeded from talking about the 950 and 20MP cameras (specifically 'The 950 is not a "true" 20mp camera either') into a chart showing an 8.7MP image sensor which, along your text, seems an implication that you are saying the 20MP sensor really is only 8.7MP. I suggested you would be better to actually use the correct numbers for the sensor you're discussing (or perhaps mention the diagram is for a much lower resolution sensor) to show how the measure is made and how the sensor size isn't 100% the same as the image that is taken using it.
Think you quoted the wrong person.
Sorry yes I should have wrote that it was the N9's sensor and it was just an example (I was assuming people would have assumed it wasn't the 950/XL camera). Fixed my post to clear any confusion :) Hopefully I worded it decently enough though.

Last edited:

batab

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
actually, they stated that the 95x sensor is a 16:9 native sensor. Moreover is a 1/2.4" sensor and not a 1/2.5" sensor.

Hence it's a "completely" new sensor with respect to 1520 and 930/Icon.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
actually, they stated that the 95x sensor is a 16:9 native sensor. Moreover is a 1/2.4" sensor and not a 1/2.5" sensor.

I'd like to say that (almost??) all phones are "natively 16:9". 4:3 is so old school (look at it, it's practically a square).
We've switched to wide for a very long time. I remember really noticing 16:9 when I started using my Nokia N8. And that was released 5-6 years ago.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

If it truly were native 16:9 sensor you should get more than 16MP out of it - which you don't.

I'd like to say that (almost??) all phones are "natively 16:9". 4:3 is so old school (look at it, it's practically a square).
We've switched to wide for a very long time. I remember really noticing 16:9 when I started using my Nokia N8. And that was released 5-6 years ago.
Personally I prefer 4:3 (well, actually 3:2, but that's not an option) for photos. And as long as you get more MP out of the phone by switching to 4:3 you'd be silly not to use it and if need be, reframe in post.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
What's bad with 930's image quality? I mean, sure you can't expect it to be a beast in low light but otherwise it's a solid performer.
18900399848_df3285ab57_k.jpg

Sure 950 will be improvement over 930, but that's mainly due to improved OIS and brighter aperture (f 1.9 vs 2.4).

batab

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
If it truly were native 16:9 sensor you should get more than 16MP out of it - which you don't.

Personally I prefer 4:3 (well, actually 3:2, but that's not an option) for photos. And as long as you get more MP out of the phone by switching to 4:3 you'd be silly not to use it and if need be, reframe in post.

well you know, it's a reported spec everywhere (even on the official MS site) and they also said it. They may have said some BS or have reported some false camera specs but as soon as someone will take the sensor out and check it i will just believe to those camera specs.

Also, those 16mpx may just be a software glitch or whatever. They may have not even have still adapted the software to the new sensor for what we know.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Bottom line: Do you guys think is worth/justify upgrading from a 930 to a 950 just because of the camera by itself?

No. You're still limited by the fact that's it's a smartphone camera. You'll probably notice difference in low light, but overall improvement over 930 won't be worth your money.

well you know, it's a reported spec everywhere (even on the official MS site) and they also said it. They may have said some BS or have reported some false camera specs but as soon as someone will take the sensor out and check it i will just believe to those camera specs.

Also, those 16mpx may just be a software glitch or whatever. They may have not even have still adapted the software to the new sensor for what we know.

It's probably the same as 930's, 16mpx in 16:9, 19mp in 4:3 crop.

batab

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
No. You're still limited by the fact that's it's a smartphone camera. You'll probably notice difference in low light, but overall improvement over 930 won't be worth your money.

It's probably the same as 930's, 16mpx in 16:9, 19mp in 4:3 crop.

I know, it looks like the same if you only look at the mpx resolution you get within the camera app but as I said they already reported the official camera specifications: they said it's a 1/2.4", 16:9, f 1/1.9 sensor which is very different from the 1/2.5", ~17:12, f 1/2.4. Following the specs, the lumia 95x sensor should be roughly 5960x3354 while the 93x sensor is 5376 x 3744.

I don't know why we should in no way trust the official camera specs. Also even if the lumia 95x it's not a 16:9 sensor, it's still a different one as it has different aperture and different size.

Besides these facts, I'm not saying that 95x camera will be better than 1520/930/Icon camera as we obviously have no proof of this. Anyway, it's reasonable to expect better performances, in particular in low light scenarios where the older sensor struggled the most, which is a nice thing to have I'd say.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I know, it looks like the same if you only look at the mpx resolution you get within the camera app but as I said they already reported the official camera specifications: they said it's a 1/2.4", 16:9, f 1/1.9 sensor which is very different from the 1/2.5", ~17:12, f 1/2.4. Following the specs, the lumia 95x sensor should be roughly 5960x3354 while the 93x sensor is 5376 x 3744.

I don't know why we should in no way trust the official camera specs. Also even if the lumia 95x it's not a 16:9 sensor, it's still a different one as it has different aperture and different size.

Besides these facts, I'm not saying that 95x camera will be better than 1520/930/Icon camera as we obviously have no proof of this. Anyway, it's reasonable to expect better performances, in particular in low light scenarios where the older sensor struggled the most, which is a nice thing to have I'd say.

Now here's a brain teaser - have you actually considered the fact that along with increasing the sensor size they also increased the size of the individual pixels on that sensor? So that increase in sensor size doesn't actually mean that the amount of pixels increased in same ratio as the size.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The 950 series camera should offer clearly superior low light photos. That's the one area where we will see a very noticeable difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism