Will the Lumias 950 (XL) fit the car mount cr-200 (-201)?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I was wondering if the the new Lumias will physically fit the Qi car mount CR-200 (or 201).
I haven't found an answer yet but since the 950's have Qi built in they'd just have to fit so that the charging electronics of the mount and the phone align properly...
Any information on that available?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Good news, I actually physically took my CR-200 into a MS store and put the XL into it. It grips perfect between the volume down and the camera button, so no button conflict issues. It also still had a little bit of room on the sides for a thin TPU case though it might be snug. What remains to be seen is will it charge well, that would depend on the placement of the QI pads in the phone and in the mount. However I have to assume it should be fine since mounting the QI pad too high in the phone would make almost no mounts work with it. I think the CR-201 had some minor changes, so I can't speak to that one.

TunaE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, today I got, activated and set up my new 950XL. It works with my Nokia desktop wireless chargers. However, to my huuuuuge disappointment, both my CR-200 don't charge it. Why oh why????

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the Qi charging coils of the 950XL and the CR-200/201 car charger don't align properly. It's a little higher up on the phone and a little lower on the charger than what we need for them to work together.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, today I got, activated and set up my new 950XL. It works with my Nokia desktop wireless chargers. However, to my huuuuuge disappointment, both my CR-200 don't charge it. Why oh why????

It works with your "Nokia DT-910 desktop wireless charging stand"??
It's been reported it like the CR-200 doesn't line up right??

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Got my 950xl set up today and tried charging it in one of my 3 CR-200s... doesn't work. Very disappointed!

how easy or hard to move the charging pad on the battery cover so that it is seated a bit lower?

Another poster here actually cut off the bottom bracket on his CR200 to get the phone lower, and that worked. But I don't want to do that or have the phone resting on the dash.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
how easy or hard to move the charging pad on the battery cover so that it is seated a bit lower?

Another poster here actually cut off the bottom bracket on his CR200 to get the phone lower, and that worked. But I don't want to do that or have the phone resting on the dash.

I'll tinker with it tomorrow and see what I can do to get it working. I'll post my findings and any relevant pictures tomorrow.

TunaE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I just bought this and it worked:

TYLT VU Wireless Charging Car Mount 3 Coil Qi Charger
Part#: VUCARGY-T

I cannot promise any long term feasibility & build quality & suction cup strength & charging speed while the phone is in use etc. since I so far only tested if it delivered a charge to the phone while connected to my car's lighter port, and it was. I'll know more over the next few days as I use one while driving around using GPS.

It was available at the local Microsoft Store for USD 80, so I grabbed it. It is also available on Amazon/USA for USD 60, in somewhat limited quantities per color. The reviews show 5/4/3/2/1 stars at 38/17/17/11/17%.

Good luck!

TunaE

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Reporting back on progress: 11 days later, the car chargers I bought continue to work as expected.

• They grip the phone tight, so the phone in its Jack Spade case didn't slip and fall during rough driving. That actually was a constant problem with my 920 in the Speck case using CR-200.
  • The mechanism that keeps the holder in a particular spot didn't "soften up"; it still keeps the phone where I leave it during rough driving.
  • I have it attached to the windshield, not the dashboard, so the suction works well against the glass.
  • They deliver enough charge to the phone. In one instance, I started with 50%, used Waze for about 45-50min driving while also listening to Pandora and keeping the navigation page on the screen all the time with lock screen being prevented by Waze, and at the end of the trip the charge was around 60%. So, it met the needs of screen, Waze, GPS and Pandora, and topped the phone off a bit.

So far I am happy. Your mileage may vary.

kuzma2000

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have the same problem.
My Lumia 950 CL fine charged from the DT-900 but wants Cr -200.
The guys write, that the charging coil, which is located in the lid, is very high. Therefore, they are cut off from the mount of the Cr -200
Brr.

Someone already have cover from Mozo?
They have a problem?

Erik Talbert

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Reporting back on progress: 11 days later, the car chargers I bought continue to work as expected.

• They grip the phone tight, so the phone in its Jack Spade case didn't slip and fall during rough driving. That actually was a constant problem with my 920 in the Speck case using CR-200.
  • The mechanism that keeps the holder in a particular spot didn't "soften up"; it still keeps the phone where I leave it during rough driving.
  • I have it attached to the windshield, not the dashboard, so the suction works well against the glass.
  • They deliver enough charge to the phone. In one instance, I started with 50%, used Waze for about 45-50min driving while also listening to Pandora and keeping the navigation page on the screen all the time with lock screen being prevented by Waze, and at the end of the trip the charge was around 60%. So, it met the needs of screen, Waze, GPS and Pandora, and topped the phone off a bit.

So far I am happy. Your mileage may vary.

Amazon.com: TYLT VU Wireless Charging Car Mount 3 Coil Qi Charger for Galaxy S6/Nexus 6/Droid Turbo/Lumia 920 and other Qi Phones - Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is the link for anyone still interested at amazon, $72. I just ordered a blue one for my XL will report back with how it works as well in a few days.

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Samsung car qi charger s. I read somewhere it would fit.
Absolutely happy with it. The mount's arms are nearly exactly between the 950's Buttons. The power button is touched a Little, but even if I press the arms on it very Tight it is not pressed automatically but I can reach and press it.
The charging works VERY fine, no pauses, also as fast as on a QI pad at home, I was very impressed.
It not only holds the battery energy but also charges it even when Navigation active, watching tv over LTE or something.

Also very cool: it also charges when the phone is in a bumper/case - and with that on the phone is in the Mount a Little higher and so the arm is EXACTLY between the Buttons - works fine!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo