[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Both audibly and visually (did a pretty lazy sound test using my PCs microphone setup function) my 950xl is louder.

Pretty much just getting everything reinstalled. Coming from the 920, I think you'll love it either way.

That helps, cheers. Not seen a 1520 in the wild, so always tough for me to gauge. Seeing it next the 920, which I own is great. Still need to hold one, just to be sure.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine so I have a few questions,,,,, Oh phone is awesome looking...

1. why is this dual sim I did not want this and when I pre ordered it said dual would not be sold in North America oh well.
2. what is with all of these comments about how large this phone is it is no bigger than the others, iPhone 6s, Nexus 6p, even the BlackBerry Priv is the same size. and I do not have large hands. Now truth be told I have not had a WP since 2012 lumia 900 but man its not large by any means. I am going to post a pic of this device next to all of the ones i listed as I am a phone junkie and have them all.
3. Over all so far liking it will post another note once I get apps on it I have spent the last hour looking at the apps I had on my last wp nokia lumia 900 so long ago . I see a lot of apps show no longer published wow folks just rolled out in the last three years on ole microsoft. I hope this brings some devs back.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking the phone so far. Obviously much faster than my 928. Only problem I have is the screen has a red cast towards the bottom. You can see it clearly when you have a white background. I've had this problem on previous Lumias, so I may have to exchange this one unfortunately.

I haven't had much time with it, so all I can say now is it's fast and it's a smartphone. Having used W10M for a while now nothing is really new.

Hello is quirky in that i have to hold the phone about 9" from my face for it to work. That's close. And I've trained it 3 times now. No glasses or anything.

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Received the phone about 2 hrs ago.
A few impressions

1) It's light and the matte white finish, though not as premium as a 6P or iphone, is not bad at all. I like the touch of it and doesn't feel slippery.
2) Windows Hello is not as fast as a fingerprint scanner on a 6P. It takes around 2-3 seconds for me to unlock. Don't know if I will use it regularly.
3) I was using a 1520 with 10586.11 before and in my short usage till now, 950xl doesn't seem a lot faster than the 1520. It may be because I had a about 100 apps being downloaded in the background.
4) No double tap to wake. That was my default mechanism to use:(
5) Screen is definitely sharper than my 1520.
6) I am having a weird observation. We know that the colors are the truest when looking straight at the screen than at an angle. However, for me, when observed at an angle, white color seems more accurate. But as I rotate the phone vertically towards me, it starts to turn reddish and while looking at straight at it, the white is reddish. As I continue to turn the phone, it becomes truer white. I did check the Color profile and it was standard. Changing it to vivid made no difference. I am worried if this is a hardware defect or nothing much to worry about. Any inputs?

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same experience with the screen. When held at my normal viewing angle the bottom of the screen has a red cast. If I tilt the top towards me the red cast goes away and the whites are truer.

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the exact same experience with the screen. When held at my normal viewing angle the bottom of the screen has a red cast. If I tilt the top towards me the red cast goes away and the whites are truer.

Interesting to know this is happening with somebody else too. I am exploring going to my nearest Palo Alto store and asking for a replacement. What do ppl here think? Does this qualify for a replacement? Anybody else observing this? I also want to confirm if Palo Alto has stock and has started selling the phone for me to go there today.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
First time using Windows 10 Mobile, first impression: Love the fonts, app layouts...OUTLOOK and CALENDAR Apps are sweet. Huge improvement over Windows 8.1 versions.

Npakaderm

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got my 950XL. This thing is sexy. Best build quality on a phone I've ever had in recent memory at least. I had a 925, a 1520, an Amazon Fire Phone, an iPhone 6+ and a Lumia 640XL. This thing feels great. Love windows Hello. Love the camera so far, so fast it's crazy.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
So I'm currently watching Netflix in edge in 1080p on my TV via the wireless display dock while surfing around the internet on my phone screen. With no lag. Mind Blown.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious about the sound quality of the 950XL with headpones?
My old Note 4 had very good quality compared to my present 640XL.. I use mostly headphones (Bose QC 15 & Audio-Tech ATH-M50) and honestly i am pretty disappointed in the sound quality of the 640XLs with headphones, sound is on the thin/lifeless side..

Mcoopersmith

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I will write up a more thorough "review" tomorrow after using it for a day, but first impressions are fantastic. Yes the back is plastic, but it honestly feels really high quality and solid. The camera is freaking fantastic and fast....such sharp images, the screen looks phenomenal, the size is not obnoxious at all, I'm happy I went with the XL now that I have it in my hands, and Windows Hello is awesome! I'm surprised some people have said it's not fast or reliable for them, it has unlocked for me in under a second or two probably about 49 out of 50 tries. Even my iPhone loving roommate is very impressed by it all which is really saying something :winktongue:

I want to take some mountain shots with this guy, so as soon as the weather clears up where I am I'll post some pictures shot in raw, probably tweaked in Lightroom, to see what you can really do with this thing! Stay tuned.

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
My white 950XL arrived a couple of hours ago and been setting it up since. Quick first impressions:
  • Love the size. The 1520 converted me to phablets but always felt just a bit too big. The 950XL feels much more manageable (size and weight), basically feels like the perfect size phone for me.
  • I like the design - feels like a worthy successor to the 1520. Definitely doesn't seem right to say that the 1520 was premium and the 950XL is not... but then again if it needs to be metal for you to consider it, this obviously is not it. The matte feel actually is even nicer than the 1520 which got a bit slippery.
  • Restore was flawless from Lumia 640 running W10.
  • No way to get rid of the 2nd SIM indicator so far... too bad.
  • Still getting used to having 2 rows in the task switcher but cool to see so many apps at once.
  • Windows Hello is set up and seems reliable even with my glasses (I did improve recognition a few times). It couldn't find me at all the first time when I was in a room with glare on my glasses though. Still TBD.
  • Copying music over is not noticeably quicker despite USB 3.1 (connected to a USB 3.0 laptop). I guess I'm running into the write speed limits of my SD card.
  • Definitely gets warm, but then again it was installing 78 app updates.
  • Noticing that the text gets fuzzy (hard to explain) if you look at it closely while scrolling quickly. Anyone else see this? Probably not going to be an issue since you don't try to read while scrolling much but it did catch my eye.

Overall happy so far - everything I expected and a worthy upgrade over 1520/640. Looking forward to taking some pictures/video and playing with Continuum once the dock arrives.

Kevin33896

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Got mine this afternoon via Next day Air. Loved the packaging; was afraid it would be the AT&T overkill but it was more in line with an oversized Nokia stylish package. Had to run to T-Mobile, however, as my sim card in my 925 was too big to fit into the 950XL.

Setup was amazingly fast and easy. I had gone from a Dell Venue Pro (wasn't that our original flagship five years ago this month?) to a 925 to the 950XL and this was very impressive in its set-up speed.

I'm going to join the "It's So Big" chorus but keep in mind that my employer has us on the reactively small iPhone 4S and I'm coming from years of using the Lumia 925. I like it but I fumbled it a few times trying to do with my thumb what now requires two hands.

Great colors but I'm going to say that I really would love to know who at Microsoft thought this phone looks upscale. I've placed an order for a Mozo replacement cover. What Mozo is selling is what Microsoft should have designed. This phone is the phone you marry--it's all quality and has the goods inside where it counts but has no sex appeal.

The only functioning issue I had was the call quality seemed to be horrible but it's late now and it could have been interference from outside the phone. But the call I made was the worst I've heard in years: Everything I said I heard as an echo and my caller was breaking up like mad. I am going to assume this was a fluke call and not the phone.

Camera quality is astounding.

Hello is fantastic. I did notice that when it says it needs me to hold the phone closer, I usually get the right result by holding the phone further away.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I miss the pillowy screen of my 930 and 920! :D So flat :)

Iris scanner, works no problem and doesn't seem slow, pick up phone, press button, scan in 1 second. Distance was easy by around 15"s judging my normal holding position. Stare at red dot for fastest response, if you looking around making it chase your eyes, it might take longer :D

I notice this red tint too like when you look at it and rotate it forward and back. It moves at bit so it's like a tint in the glass or something that's getting picked up. It reminds me of more cool look to warm look when you rotate it back and forward

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Man, the Iris scanner is a major disappointment. It hasn't been able to recognize me once with glasses on. It took nearly 5 minutes to get the improve recognition setting to even work with my glasses. Way worse than the SP4 facial recognition which will recognize me instantly.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Love the phone. Had a 1520 and 640xl running windows 10. This phone is faster, has an insane camera and I love the Hello beta. Worked great every time. But... The no visual Voicemail is a bummer. And my old Youmail won't seem to reactivate for iseeVM So, that's about it.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So far I am loving it. The screen is amazing, it is very light for the size of the screen, it is fast, and it did not even get very warm when it was installing all fo my apps for a long time. Hello seems to be working great. I have not had much of a chance to play with the camera yet, but I will do that tomorrow. I am one who does not care about the plastic back, as I put a TPU cover on it before I left the Microsoft store, and to be honest, my 3 year old Lumia 920 held up very well with a plastic cover. They could have made the case fancier, only to be put in a cover by most users, and it would probably have made it heavier and scratch or bend. It has every feature I could ask for in a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa