Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only bug that I've experienced regularly happens while using the camera. After taking few pictures in a row, my 950 XL just shuts off. I can only power it up by a soft reset.

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys! Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having. When I go to my phone book to get someone's number and I press on the number to dial, instead of going to the dialling screen, the screen just goes black. The only way I have found to get back the dialing screen is to press the power button twice. Tried soft resetting the phone and this hasn't helped. Would it be worth doing a hard reset? Any help would be great! ☺

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Rob, are you possibly using a screen protector? When I read your lines I thought, that maybe the proximity sensor might be blocked / think that there is proximity. Maybe try cleaning up the area around the speakerhole (front).
My wifes 1520 is having such an issue - if the screen protector over the proximity sensor is a little dirty / greasy, it will darken the screen because it thinks it is on your ear / face ;)

PS: Congrats, if that is you and your family :)

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Rob, are you possibly using a screen protector? When I read your lines I thought, that maybe the proximity sensor might be blocked / think that there is proximity. Maybe try cleaning up the area around the speakerhole (front).
My wifes 1520 is having such an issue - if the screen protector over the proximity sensor is a little dirty / greasy, it will darken the screen because it thinks it is on your ear / face ;)

PS: Congrats, if that is you and your family :)
You are spot on my friend!! Just taken off the screen protector and it worked straight away. It would seem the case is blocking the proximity sensor as you described. Now just need to find a new protector with the cut out for the sensor if there is one available!! Thanks again!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I am having troubles with Onenote... does not seem to be downloading a pages full content (or has stop downloading for some pages - have not quiet determind which) on my 950XL OS Build: 10586.107 / Fireware version: 01078.00027.15506.02005. Anyone else having this problem????

Just received a Firmware UPDATE, so change the FW to: 01078.00038.16025.9005

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I am having troubles with Onenote... does not seem to be downloading a pages full content (or has stop downloading for some pages - have not quiet determind which) on my 950XL OS Build: 10586.107 / Fireware version: 01078.00027.15506.02005. Anyone else having this problem????

Just received a Firmware UPDATE, so change the FW to: 01078.00038.16025.9005

the FW Update did NOT fix my Onenote Problem...still looking for suggestions.

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
You are spot on my friend!! Just taken off the screen protector and it worked straight away. It would seem the case is blocking the proximity sensor as you described. Now just need to find a new protector with the cut out for the sensor if there is one available!! Thanks again!
Good to hear :) Regarding Screen Protectors, I have tried (at least I feel like) all of them. Glass generally will give you a headache on the 950XL, as its edges are bent downwards a little bit. So plastic is the way to go. I tried 5 or 10. This is the best one. Not too expensive (I tried ones for 16€ a piece, wouldn't care if they were perfect).

tl;dr:
Try to get a Crocfol Premium if you can. They are rather inexpensive and have the best optical and tactile properties. Like this one but for your 950XL (BEWARE, the link is for a 925). It does not have the proximity sensor cut out but works perfectly, nevertheless:
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 925 nur/only Plus CROCFOL HD Premium Screen Protector (2-Pack) - with HIGH PRECISION FRONT CAMERA and SPEAKER CUTOUT / Made in Germany - MILLIONFOLD APPROVED and OFFICIAL TEST WINNER / Seamless Glass Screen Scratch Protection

AustinCyclist1

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just upgraded from 640 to 950xl. 640 screen had cracked and was frustrated by slow speed.

bugs
- I create bookmarks on the start screen for various websites. I find that when I have a ton of tabs open in edge, when I click on one of these links, a portion of the time it will open a tab, but I get directed to an older tab in edge, this exists no both 640 and the new 950
- close tabs in edge. for the longest time, I noticed that when I tried to close all tabs in edge, it would only close about 30%.. 2 or 3 times and eventually all would close. 950 doesn't have this issue. Don't know if its based on performance, 640 was so insanely slow with this?
- windows hello. I have it set to lock screen after 30 seconds I believe. what I've found is sometimes i can goto my phone, its starting iris scan and I can just swipe up and no pin is required, just bypasses security. on the flipside, if I've used it recently, just like it shouldn't pin you, it shouldn't start the iris scan.. I also notice every time I plug it in to the charger, the phone wakes and tries to iris scan which doesn't make sense.

the good
- continuum seems to work pretty well with teh 950. I connected to a samsung smart tv and it started the continuum video, impressive!
- I connected with my bluetooth ms wedge keyboard. you have to enter a code THEN HIT ENTER! that'sthe trick.. after the sync, it works great. wow, very nice. I also used the microsoft bluetooth mouse. its weird to see a mouse icon on my phone, but works great.
- I ordered the usbC to VGA deal on amazon for $9. We'll see if it works. I get it tomorrow. if it works, no need for the dock (except the niceness of charging while docked).
Loving this phone.. huge performance boost from the 640.. cnn actually works now.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone having issues with video recording on 950xl where the video freezes for a short time, I have tried 4k, 1080p at all fps and get the same issue, this shouldn't be happening?
Yes I am to ,it's not a Sd card issue as I tried saving to device,started a thread but limited replies ,no one with a similar problem,does it in all resolutions and worse in Slomo ,hard reset phone and still doing it,pauses about a second in to playback for a couple of seconds sometimes more,reckon I'll try and exchange the phone Monday as I've had it less than two weeks

AustinCyclist1

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if others get this, but mine was charging all night but only showed 60% charge on the battery. Bad Battery? bad phone?

Got amazon 9$ techvilla usbc to vga, works like a champ with. Continuum

woifi_90

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
A few times a day, I pick up my phone and try to turn the screen on but it stays black. I have to press the power button at least three times before it properly turns the display on.
Anyone else experiencing this annoying bug too?

suehwey

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My living images stopped working. It was fine 2 weeks ago, but only for 2 days. After that, none of my photos are "living", even though I have the feature enabled.

suehwey

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ok, i just read in another thread that we're supposed to turn the camera on in the "background app". i've done that and it's now working fine :smile:

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am to ,it's not a Sd card issue as I tried saving to device,started a thread but limited replies ,no one with a similar problem,does it in all resolutions and worse in Slomo ,hard reset phone and still doing it,pauses about a second in to playback for a couple of seconds sometimes more,reckon I'll try and exchange the phone Monday as I've had it less than two weeks

Yes, mine does the same thing. I am on the latest 1004 build and the new firmware. I update the camera app and the photos to the new version this morning and it still reproduces this problem.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, mine does the same thing. I am on the latest 1004 build and the new firmware. I update the camera app and the photos to the new version this morning and it still reproduces this problem.

Got a new phone was ok and then started doing the same thing,so reset and started again and think I found the problem as its now working ,my fault I set the video to save to device and it still wasn't working however I left photos saving to Sd card ,when I set photos to save to device as well it seemed to sort it ,so yeah a problem with the Sd card .....I'm hoping ,so need another 64 gb card that works ....any suggestions ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon