Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

KjBleau

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Will go on record for the poor battery life, the images missing in email and poor brightness control as well. Sluggish apps I put down to installing on the SD card. May see if I can figure out how to move them to see if that makes any difference.

RJD1

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery life on 950XL was not nearly as good as my 1520 with latest WI build on first couple of recharges. I have now gone below 20% three consecutive times and the battery life is getting better each time. I am still not getting a full day of use when using for email, web, music, corp email but getting close.

and, I am having the mail photos issue as well - MSFT will hopefully respond quickly as many of these phones will go back and no more sellouts by us loyalists...

Last edited:

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
One issue I'm having is that the Lumia 950 XL only charges from 2of4 of my qi Wireless Chargers:
Charging from DT-903 works just fine.
Charging from MD-100W works just fine.
Charging from DT-910 does NOT work at all.
Charging from CR-201 does NOT work at all.

My Lumia 1520 works fine on all 4 of these qi wireless chargers.

It works fine with my Spigen F300W wireless charger.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Here's one involving languages. Go into set up to languages and you are offered the chance to "Add a language". To me, addition means to get something in addition to what you had so I decided to add French. Well, it didn't just add it, it changed the language to French. No big deal, change back to English which remains on the phone - or so I thought. Yes, it indicates that English is still on the phone, but you can't change to it. So, it appears that you can't add a language, only change one. This is odd. I got an international 640XL and could change languages. No idea what the reasoning is here.
<TED>

Expat-GAD

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have mine propped up on a stand within visual range and have noticed it reboot without warning at least 4 times. Twice yesterday and at least twice That i have seen today. take note that yesterday mine would report that it had rebooted. Today it is not saying anything. So there is a possibility that the phone has rebooted more than twice and i have been out of the room or just didn't notice. Not impressed so far.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is rebooting itself randomly, my advice is attempt a hard/software reset and do NOT restore it from backup. Failing that, it's possibly a hardware defect and should be replaced. At least one person I know had this issue and is replacing hers.

All of the other issues I've seen listed are a combination of known bugs in the W10M build installed on these (10586.0) versus latest Insider Preview-- 10586.11. So hopefully that's good news for most of us coping with those bugs, and this includes the battery life issues. EDIT: I had crappy battery life on my 640 with 10581 Preview build and 10586.11 was great with battery, so I'll expect that we see this build or newer in very near future.

Also, if you are experiencing severe battery drain, my advice is disable Windows Hello for now. Also regarding Windows Hello, I'd love to have audible instructions for those of us who wear glasses and are blind as bats (yeah, I'm 20/2000 vision so I count in that), but calling it "unusable" just makes you sound snobby. Relax... just lower the glasses on your nose enough to look over it and watch the green bar. If it turns yellow, move closer or further from the phone.

PhineasTD

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
This will be a two part reply addressing both personal experience issues with the 950xl and some solutions as I travel the learning curve. This model is my first foray into the Windows Phone world so please bear with me.

1. The LTE connectivity issues on AT&T was a headache with my international unlocked dual SIM model. The solution however was quite simple. As long as the SIM is an LTE compatible AT&T variant, one need only call AT&T and register the IDEI number of the device. The particular representative I spoke with need to simply verify my account and then update it. That was it. After shutting down (NOT a soft or hard reset) and restarting the Lumia I needed to go back into Settings->Network & Wireless->Cellular & SIM and then turn Data Connection back to 'On'. DO NOT alter the SIM card APN settings as it isn't necessary. You can also do the update through the SIM card but it is easier to just shut the phone off and then turn it back on.

2. APP compatibility. I expected this as it is a new OS but I must admit that it is very frustrating to discover that some apps are incompatible, others crash at startup, yet others still are unstable to the degree that a soft reset is the solution to recovering from their execution. An annoyance but not brand killing

3. Intermediate sounds. Sounds such as the keys on the keyboard ticking or other UI do not always emit.

4. The novelty of Windows Hello is enduring but when it tells me that it is looking for me I am not always sure where exactly it might be looking.

5. The Lock Screen, and this is more a personal preference issue rather than a 'bug', should allow ANY app in quick status (Like the calculator!).

6. Edge is often slow or even becomes unresponsive. Initially I believed this to be a website or connectivity issue but have discovered through use at multiple access points that this is specifically a Browser problem. How or where can I tweak settings for Edge (if possible on the phone)?

7. I've gotten Black Screened but still have had the navigation bar as I pilot through the device. For example: swiping back from the apps to the Start Screen it will swipe instead to a black screen with nav. bar. If I lock the device and then reopen the Start Screen is back.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Probably more of a WP10 defect, but I was not happy that the downloaded USA map on my SD card didn't get recognized by the 950XL. Had to download the whole 4GB+ thing again, which is somehow going very slowly over a fast Wifi connection. Took about 6h after all the apps downloaded. Not great.

valel46

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me and try plugging in the charging cable (the one permanently attached to the charger) with the actual charger unplugged from the power outlet? For some reason my 950 XL will still make the charging sound and status with just the charging cable being plugged.

Thanks in advance.

:sweaty:

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me and try plugging in the charging cable (the one permanently attached to the charger) with the actual charger unplugged from the power outlet? For some reason my 950 XL will still make the charging sound and status with just the charging cable being plugged.

Thanks in advance.

:sweaty:

Mine does the same (screen lights up, emits charging sound, and even shows being charged). It keeps going on and on... Creepy.

valel46

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Mine does the same (screen lights up, emits charging sound, and even shows being charged). It keeps going on and on... Creepy.

JieXY, thanks a lot for trying this out. I was worried that I received a faulty charger or phone, but now it seems like it's either a software bug or the charger itself has some sort of capacitor that keeps a small amount of charge after being unplugged from the power outlet.

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
When I take a picture and use the "choose the best lighting' option to change the flash level, the phone doesn't upload the finished photo to Onedrive, but the one that has full flash.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I have many issues others are having
1. No images on email
2. My battery was 100% at 11am and dead at 630pm with no charges in between. I'm a heavy user with music streaming and GPS (day 1 of use)
3. "Linked Inbox" doesn't show notifications of unread incoming emails
4. Windows Hello doesn't work instantly when music/Pandora is playing from locked screen. It waits until the music bar disappears, and then it works. Not very instantaneous so I just use PIN instead.
5. Friend tiles doesn't display notifications if they send texts.
6. Doesn't let me rearrange tiles on my band 2. It just doesn't rearrange and slide over
7. Doesn't let me reply to text messages using the band 2.
8. Doesn't let me reply with band 2 using voice to text (all band 2 issues worked fine on my Lumia 920)
9. When playing a video on YouTube, it doesn't start right away. It loads and only plays when I press on the track bar (Edge, desktop version)
10. Band 2 isn't always receiving notifications (messenger, text, etc)

**Is it just me or are we limited with touch options. I recall reading a post about new windows 10 touch UI with double tap to wake, touch with gloves on etc. We're stuck with 1 option, vibrating keys**

I'm a windows phone ****** and feel bad for people migrating from android or iPhone who have these kind of experiences. Most likely they don't have windows central like we do to discuss issues. If I were to refer this to a friend, I'd be pretty embarrassed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac