Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

earthbellybutton

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
All I can tell you is my experience - and yes, it solved my problem. I got the new battery for some months now and no problems anymore. Probably a bad batch...
Unfortunately on microsoft store, I can't find it. I have another one for spare, as one of mine 950xl's suffer a badly accident. And I don't think is worth to change the display. Is working, ringing, even on continue is working, but I can't slide to unlock the screen.
But, that's not the point. With the other battery ( from the crushed one) maybe I had twice this issue.
I will try with this one. Thank you for suggestion ??????

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Chiming in with my experience. It didn't matter what my battery level was, but my random reboot seems to have been lowered when I switched where photos were stored - there were more problems when it was going to my 64GB Sandisk card. There are still occasional freezes and reboots - very frustrating. The camera is the one thing I need it to do reliably.

NirosNasaro

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought this phone mainly for the amazing camera and while the hardware numbers are impressing, the firmware has never been... Still deleting photos and my phone will freeze and won't slide left or right thru the camera roll...

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought this phone mainly for the amazing camera and while the hardware numbers are impressing, the firmware has never been... Still deleting photos and my phone will freeze and won't slide left or right thru the camera roll...

No such problems here (Lumia 950 XL DS + Samsung Pro + 128 Gb microSD card). Well, thumbnail cache could be faster.

Battery is OK, even not so good as my old Lumia 1520 battery (RIP).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I suspect its either a problem with the SD card if you have pictures going there, or a problem with your specific phone but not the model in general. I've had similar problems with other phones that were fixed just be using a different SD card even when the first one worked fine in other devices/uses.

fabiooli

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
After an update, not sure exactly which one, the main camera and selfie stopped working. Now I can use the front facing camera on Instagram, for exemple, but not using the camera app. I keep getting this error and the phone crashes:
lumia 950xl camera issue 0xa00f4271(0xe801000c)
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-18 at 01.31.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-18 at 01.31.51 copy.jpg
Anyone experiencing this? Any suggestions? PS: I am on fast ring developer mode.

Last edited:

anon(5348535)

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Recently purchased Lumia 950 XL. Got frozen/rebooted 2x in 3 weeks... not too bad. Major problem - and possibly reason for reboots - is unreliable Bluetooth. Both freezes have happened while I was trying to make one or the other BT device work.

Jabra Tour - connects, but randomly disconnects and reconnects. Sometimes doesn't connect at all. Turning BT off and back on in Settings or restarting phone helps... but only that much. Works fine for a while, from time to time.

Jabra Classic - same but actually even less reliable. Less working, more disconnecting or not connecting at all..

Fitbit Charge 2 - mostly works, maybe once in a week refuses to sync, even if it is showing connection (phone can see tracker). Works after phone's restart or toggling BT in Settings.

Most ironic part? - old BT headset for PS3 (!!!) seemed to work fine. Well, for a few days. Then headset died. Not related to phone, it just... died. So the working phase might have been coincidence, or that thing was one of rare BTs actually working with 950 XL. Maybe I have faulty phone, but I did come across numbers of people complaining about same BT symptoms, so unless it is batch problem, looks like BT is just infamously unreliable at this stage. Which is, like, 16 months after phone was released. I know Win 10 Mobile is not a priority for Microsoft, but still... they should show a bit more pride in what they do, even if it is not as successful as they were hoping for.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I honestly didnt know the top of the line windows phone had so many bugs, still...but thanks for also posting possible solutions, guys.

Cheers

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe the basics aren't working correctly still. Unfortunately my main phone died and I went out wandering today and wanted to get some pics.

Took around 30 pics with the save to SD card option only to get the camera app hang then it had to be hard reset. Then the repair SD card came on. Saving to internal memory then seemed to work fine though the SD card works fine in everything else it's been in with 45+MB/s transfer rates. I don't know how hard it can be for a windows programmer, if the speed of the SD card isn't high enough, get it to save to internal memory and then transfer it in the background - at least that way you wouldn't loose the pictures. My guess would be that it's not the SD card but the connector to it not being able to process it fast enough.

Annoyingly you can look back at the pictures then sometimes they go black and don't load or save. Leaving you not knowing if the pictures you've just taken are actually saved.

At the moment it's my backup phone and i really like some of the features but I couldn't rely on it.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Can't understand why MS released such a high end device and have such a below low end OS experience for some on it. That should never have been accepted by anyone who develops this OS for MS.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe the basics aren't working correctly still. Unfortunately my main phone died and I went out wandering today and wanted to get some pics.

Took around 30 pics with the save to SD card option only to get the camera app hang then it had to be hard reset. Then the repair SD card came on. Saving to internal memory then seemed to work fine though the SD card works fine in everything else it's been in with 45+MB/s transfer rates. I don't know how hard it can be for a windows programmer, if the speed of the SD card isn't high enough, get it to save to internal memory and then transfer it in the background - at least that way you wouldn't loose the pictures. My guess would be that it's not the SD card but the connector to it not being able to process it fast enough.

Annoyingly you can look back at the pictures then sometimes they go black and don't load or save. Leaving you not knowing if the pictures you've just taken are actually saved.

At the moment it's my backup phone and i really like some of the features but I couldn't rely on it.

? Are you not saving your pics to One Drive automatically? I can wipe my device today sd card and all and as soon as it's back up ALL of my pics are still there to access. Don't have any pics saved on my sd card and through 1 drive I can go back 2 yrs to find pics.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Microphone is at an unusable level. Requires use of blue tooth headset. Confirmed with recording app. Automatic switch to speaker disabled.

I've heard of microphone problems happening with just about every type of phone. It's just one of those things that could go out some time.

Do you happen to be under warranty?

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
On my 950xl I've noticed problems, especially since the CU update:

Extremely high battery drain when in use
Phone freezing and/or rebooting, usually happens when receiving or making a call
Phone heats up really bad when playing games now
Maps and navigation require screen to be on to work. If screen goes off then you get the "Tap to resume navigation" message. This is absolutely unacceptable and if not fixed soon I guess its time to get an Android. I use my phone for nav and rely on the bluetooth spoken nav. Keeping the screen on causes rapid battery drain.
Randon SD card failures saying its not there anymore requiring a battery pull and restart to get the SD card recognized again.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Did the WDRT on my L950XL with the new battery installed and so far real good!!! No restarts and the phone's running pretty good. Sorry I didn't try this after the first battery bought with it installed. Just hope that from here with the usual monthly CU that it further improves the phone's functionality.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Shutdown 2X so far since the WDRT and new battery, convinced it's the OS and how it's poorly optimized for these 2 devices. Can't go anywhere on this site and read about any 650/550, HP X3, Idol4S behaving like this. Pity MS can't even get it right for their own. I wonder how do they expect anyone to follow with their cellular PCs after viewing how they supported their own devices. What would make anyone believe it'll be any different. Wasn't W10 new as well? Wasn't W10M new as well? Isn't W10 S also new? What happens if it doesn't generate the hype expected will we then be forced to go IOS / ANDROID for good?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss