MS cancelled my order

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I am so frustrated and mad with MS right now. I got a message that they tried to charge my credit card and it was rejected. (Apparently Chase signed me up for some fraud protection I didn't want or need). I called MS within MOMENTS of getting the message and tried to give them another credit card number. They said they can't do it and because of "The System" my order will be cancelled. Moments later, my order was cancelled.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft!

I've been truly frustrated for months. First, my 640 XL screen burned out a month after getting it, and MS refused to fix it under warranty. Anxiously awaiting my new 950 XL, I've been on the forums day and night and checking the MS store website and driving to and from the stores. After all that, I finally got on the 11/25 first 'wave' to order, only to have this happen. I have two MS stores within 10 miles of my house, but I will be out of the country on Thanksgiving.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am so frustrated and mad with MS right now. I got a message that they tried to charge my credit card and it was rejected. (Apparently Chase signed me up for some fraud protection I didn't want or need). I called MS within MOMENTS of getting the message and tried to give them another credit card number. They said they can't do it and because of "The System" my order will be cancelled. Moments later, my order was cancelled.

Thanks for nothing Microsoft!

I've been truly frustrated for months. First, my 640 XL screen burned out a month after getting it, and MS refused to fix it under warranty. Anxiously awaiting my new 950 XL, I've been on the forums day and night and checking the MS store website and driving to and from the stores. After all that, I finally got on the 11/25 first 'wave' to order, only to have this happen. I have two MS stores within 10 miles of my house, but I will be out of the country on Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons I got rid of Chase was because of their frequent denying of my purchases. I can't even count the number of times I had to call into their fraud department. Hell, they even declined one of my transactions at WAL-MART of all places, within 5 minutes of my residence.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Cant blame Microsoft for this, Microsoft tried to take payment from your card & your bank rejected it.

I can definitely blame them for not letting me immediately provide an alternative. Poor customer service. I also had some words with my credit card company. Shame on them.

Roman Royter

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
While this truly sucks, chances are high that you wouldn't get it on the 25th anyway. I mean they haven't shipped yet, and unless they splurge on overnight shipping and ship it tonight, I don't see them delivering anything on Wednesday. And I can't even pick it up through the weekend, because there are no MS stores where I'm going, so I'm in the same boat as you.

revolvet

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just get notified that Microsoft transaction has been made. This means that it will be shipped soon. (I pre-ordered in the second wave, which would be delivered by Dec 11.)

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I am still hoping on receiving it on the 25th. If these ship out of Seattle by tomorrow i'll have it the next day. I can hope!

Lol, they aren't made in a factory in downtown Seattle, USA...they are probably coming from a distribution warehouse in Indiana or something (from China/Vietnam)...

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Lol, they aren't made in a factory in downtown Seattle, USA...they are probably coming from a distribution warehouse in Indiana or something (from China/Vietnam)...

Haha, i know. Just hoping that maybe the warehouse for this part of the country is up here. I get lucky alot with Amazon products due to the warehouses up here. Prime nets me 1 day delivery a lot.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I can definitely blame them for not letting me immediately provide an alternative. Poor customer service. I also had some words with my credit card company. Shame on them.

Nah, you really can't. That's not how business works. If there was even a remote chance of this, you should have contacted your bank immediately after you placed the order and had them put the (eventual) charge/amount on an approved list.

Definitely frustrating. Not MS's fault.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I hope that the Captain has contacted support and escalated to a supervisor who might get the order reinstated. I hear it might take a few tries.

Roman Royter

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget that MS did say "Ships by November 25", not arrives by or on.

Well, here is the thing. What's the point of preorder? To lock you in, asap, right? Yea you can say to guarantee your item, but at the very least I shouldn't be punished for preordering. I mean I should receive my order if not sooner, but definitely not later than store availability. However, the next day is Thanksgiving, and no one delivers on that day. Yet I can (iif possible) go to the store which opens at 6-7pm that day and buy one right there. So really, while they're saying ships by 25th, they should mean delivered by 25th if they value their fans. And let's face it, who nowadays preorders a lumia device, if not a fan?

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Credit card fraud rejection is quite rare in Honkong. Most bank will not reject any online transactions.

Microsoft online store has a very ridiculous problem that they will try to obtain authorization from your credit card SEVERAL times before actual shipping (of course they only actually charge once). But that may result in your order being cancelled because when they obtain the 2nd/3rd authorization, your credit may not have enough credit limit.

For my recent Surface Book order, they totally obtained 4 authorizations from my card. Fortunately my card had enough limit. Otherwise my order would surely be mistakenly cancelled.

Last edited:

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't just accept first response from support, demand escalation - they will generally initially deny they can do it, but will if you insist.

This is true. Recently I had a very bad experience for my Surface Book shipment - I placed the order on 13 Oct, shipment expected to happen on 26 Oct but it did not. I called the hotline many times. They promised shipment on 2 Nov and did not happen, and then they promised 13 Nov and it did not happen again. Finally it was shipped on 18 Nov.

My case was at first followed by normal "sales representatives" but they were not helpful at all and often made fake promises. It was later followed by the escalation team, who had a guy e-mailing me with his direct contact e-mail address and also direct phone number.

And finally the escalation team offered me a CAD 150 voucher for further online purchase, as a token of apology.

I am sure my experience would be even more terrible if I did not insist to be followed up by the escalation team.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
As I understand it, MicrosoftStore.com is an outsourced operation that is NOT in lock-step with the brick-and-mortar Microsoft Store. I learned this back when I jumped onto the platform with my first Windows phone, the L1020, where I had preordered the device at MicrosoftStore.com and on launch day I had not yet been billed (and clearly nothing was queued to ship). I visited my local Microsoft Store (lucky to have 2 nearby); they took care of everything and I walked out the door with my new, activated L1020.

I have never preordered by way of MicrsoftStore.com, again.

That was then; this is now. Given the seemingly limited production of the 950/XL, I would not count on walking into a brick-and-mortar Microsoft Store on Thursday and expect they would have much in the way of unclaimed (i.e. pre-ordered in-store) stock, but I hope it works out for anyone stuck in the MicrosoftStore.com black hole!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism