Boredom and the 950XL

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered a 950XL in October right at the local Microsoft store. My phone will be in on Thanksgiving I was told yesterday. However...

As much as I want this phone, I cannot help to be underwhelmed a little more everyday about what exactly I am spending $650 plus tax on. Sure, it packs a nice processor, and Continuum is definitely something I want for the reason of goofing around...

Well, my friend got the 950 from AT&T and I got to play with Continuum. While it works, it is laggy when used wirelessly... to be fair, this was around one day after he got the phone, and this new OS spends, without exaggeration, around 3 days getting everything downloaded and organized.

Anyway... here I am with a 1520 with Windows 10 latest preview installed. It works pretty as well as it, although there are bugs that still need to be ironed out.

Taking a look at the 950XL, I cannot see how it out-styles the 1520 (spoiler: it doesn't come close) nor can I see the Camera being so much better than the 1520 that it alone was worth the cost.

It appears I am bored with the phone without even owning it yet. The hype is gone, the release took waaaaay too long, and reviews of the 950 all state "wow its a phone. yay" and that's really about it. I cannot see the .7" bigger screen and the extra two cores of CPU turning this phone into a completely different beast than the 950.

I guess that rant was kind of closing in on a question: Should I even bother dropping release day cash on this thing or just wait until spring to see if something better is out, or if the 950XL drops a lot in price...?

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have tried windows 10 on 1520 and it sure is a pleasure to use. So yes you could wait for a while unless you want a really gorgeous screen of the 950.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
daaaaum just ruined my experience i have not been on windows phone since the 920 I left it was just lacking to many things when it came to ecosystem and dev support for first party apps. Now I find myself back due to the new lumia and bored with android and iOS to read this maybe I should have dropped about 300 for a new 1520 vs 700 for the new 950XL especially if you say the camera on the older model is better than the new how is that why would they not make the new flagship better. I hope I can enjoy some time with it as it shipped today for delivery tomorrow so we shall see. but man what a downer lol....

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
daaaaum just ruined my experience i have not been on windows phone since the 920 I left it was just lacking to many things when it came to ecosystem and dev support for first party apps. Now I find myself back due to the new lumia and bored with android and iOS to read this maybe I should have dropped about 300 for a new 1520 vs 700 for the new 950XL especially if you say the camera on the older model is better than the new how is that why would they not make the new flagship better. I hope I can enjoy some time with it as it shipped today for delivery tomorrow so we shall see. but man what a downer lol....

I didn't say the camera was worse; I stated that I am not sure its so much better that it warrants an upgrade. By all means, please anjoy the 950XL; I was just expounding on how I was bored of it without touching it yet, and should I pay $650+ just to see if I will notice much...

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say the camera was worse; I stated that I am not sure its so much better that it warrants an upgrade. By all means, please anjoy the 950XL; I was just expounding on how I was bored of it without touching it yet, and should I pay $650+ just to see if I will notice much...
So have you played around with the camera what is the difference vs the 1520?

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
1520 besides the phantom touches was the best phone ever...until I sold it.
Give it the XL guts and that would have been sweet. The XL will be a nice downgrade for me to come back with.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For those thinking they should wait until Spring 16 for the next MS phone, you might want to read the many mentions on this site that the next MS phones would be introduced the earliest 3/4 16 and most probably 4/4/ 16. This was mentioned first in Dan's recent AMA post.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
For those thinking they should wait until Spring 16 for the next MS phone, you might want to read the many mentions on this site that the next MS phones would be introduced the earliest 3/4 16 and most probably 4/4/ 16. This was mentioned first in Dan's recent AMA post.

That was the next flagship release (basically the 960) BUT the surface phone is expected to arrive alongside the surface 4 and the next windows 10 release (redstone) in march/ april 2016. The surface phone is not a flagship but instead an intel atom powered business oriented device.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've owned my 1520 for about 2 yrs as of next month and I couldn't be more excited for the 950XL. Unlike most here I actually haven't tried or used Windows 10 Mobile at all because I preferred to leave myself something to be excited about trying. I understand the specs aren't mindblowingly better than my 1520 but even the improvements to the screen, cameras, OS are enough for me to be excited about. 2 years with my 1520 couldn't have felt longer. Aesthetically the phone isn't "stunning" but nothing a few fun phone cases can't spruce up. The only thing that doesn't excite me is the price. You guys should be thankful you only have to dish out $649US. I on other hand am getting raped because I live in Canada and will be shelling out $960CAN after tax. Once I factor in my memory card and cases I will be well north of $1000. That to me is the only unfair part of this whole experience.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've owned my 1520 for about 2 yrs as of next month and I couldn't be more excited for the 950XL. Unlike most here I actually haven't tried or used Windows 10 Mobile at all because I preferred to leave myself something to be excited about trying. I understand the specs aren't mindblowingly better than my 1520 but even the improvements to the screen, cameras, OS are enough for me to be excited about. 2 years with my 1520 couldn't have felt longer. Aesthetically the phone isn't "stunning" but nothing a few fun phone cases can't spruce up. The only thing that doesn't excite me is the price. You guys should be thankful you only have to dish out $649US. I on other hand am getting raped because I live in Canada and will be shelling out $960CAN after tax. Once I factor in my memory card and cases I will be well north of $1000. That to me is the only unfair part of this whole experience.

I agree the last time i was one windows mobile it was what ever version released with the nokia lumia 920 i think it was 7 but someone can correct me its been a long time so it should be really different from when I last tried it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
So have you played around with the camera what is the difference vs the 1520?

The camera on the 950 XL is considerably better in low light, and in general speed (start speed, shot-to-shot, focusing) and should have better detail and better colors. It won't be a dramatically amazing improvement (meaning it won't make you shriek like an overly excited girl) but there are improvements and they are noticeable. The 1520 has an amazing camera but it can't quite compete with the best mobile cameras of today. The 950 XL can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills