Anyone confirmed L950/950XL working on T-Mobile?

Robert Digilio

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
So I have been considering getting a Lumia 950 or 950 XL but I am currently on Virgin Mobile and they don't support unlocked phones. If I get one of these phones I was going to switch to T-Mobile but wanted to make sure the phone will work before switching. Does anyone with T-Mobile have this phone yet and does it work as expected?

Chad Welsh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Looks like we have some click bait thread working here. Please consider updating your thread title you have not confirmed that it works on TMO since your are actually asking a question. the phone supports the bands required for use on TMO network but whether HD Voice and WiFi calling works or will work in the future is still up in the air. So please re title the thread to maybe something like "Can anyone confirm Lumia 950XL working on T-Mobile."

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 950XL and I can confirm it works on Tmo. I can't confirm the additional features, such as WiFi calling but normal calling, texting, and voicemail work fine.

It should actually work better than my previously unlocked 830 as it has Tmo's new band 12...which may mean I'll get decent service in buildings (at least I hope). Wont be able to test that for a few days.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I have been considering getting a Lumia 950 or 950 XL but I am currently on Virgin Mobile and they don't support unlocked phones. If I get one of these phones I was going to switch to T-Mobile but wanted to make sure the phone will work before switching. Does anyone with T-Mobile have this phone yet and does it work as expected?

I'm using it with T-Mobile. Strong LTE reception for me, better than the Nexus 5. Hotspot looks good too.

Sent from mTalk

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Tried to see if I could force WiFi calling by turning off my cell signal and using WiFi....no dice. I can't for the life of me find anywhere to enable or disable the feature.

Also, Visual Voicemail doesn't seem to work or I can't find where to enable it. It was working on my 830 with 10586 just fine, so it's there....but where? I contacted Tmo to turn it off and back on from their end to see if that helps.

It is soo much faster than the 830 (which seemed to be roughly the same as my previous 925)...not a single "resuming" yet.

RyanGross

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Tried to see if I could force WiFi calling by turning off my cell signal and using WiFi....no dice. I can't for the life of me find anywhere to enable or disable the feature.

Also, Visual Voicemail doesn't seem to work or I can't find where to enable it. It was working on my 830 with 10586 just fine, so it's there....but where? I contacted Tmo to turn it off and back on from their end to see if that helps.

It is soo much faster than the 830 (which seemed to be roughly the same as my previous 925)...not a single "resuming" yet.

Damnnn. WiFi calling is a big deal for me. I wonder if they could add it in afterwards, or if it would only work on branded ones. I've never brought an unlocked phone to TMoible and had it worked. But maybe it'd be different if they ended up picking the phone up.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, oh man. No WiFi calling is a huge deal breaker for me! I use it every day at work...... At this point I may just have to cave and get an unlocked iPhone.......

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
No wifi calling would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

On Windows Phone 8.1, Wifi Calling is an app. It's not in settings. Is it listed as an app?

I put it right on my main screen for easy access. I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, I need it and turn it on.

Also, with my T-Mobile cellspot (femtocell), not only do I have five bars in the house I also have HD Voice.

I figure, if it doesn't yet have all the T-Mobile goodies, I'll wait. If nothing else, it looks as if T-Mobile is getting the 950XL.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Damnnn. WiFi calling is a big deal for me. I wonder if they could add it in afterwards, or if it would only work on branded ones. I've never brought an unlocked phone to TMoible and had it worked.
FWIW. My unlocked HTC One A9 (Android) worked with T-Mobile WiFi calling out of the box (T-Mo doesn't carry the A9 themselves). For their visual voice mail I had to down a T-Mo app through the Google Play Store, but I don't think we can do that with Windows Mobile.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I had WiFi calling on my 925, it was via an app. Never saw it in the 830 with Insider Preview or on the 950 XL. I've searched in settings and spent a fair amount of time looking on the internet. People talk about how the 950 XL support voip/WiFi calling...but they don't talk about how to enable it. I've gone through most settings looking for it and Visual Voicemail with no luck finding anything.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had WiFi calling on my 925, it was via an app. Never saw it in the 830 with Insider Preview or on the 950 XL. I've searched in settings and spent a fair amount of time looking on the internet. People talk about how the 950 XL support voip/WiFi calling...but they don't talk about how to enable it. I've gone through most settings looking for it and Visual Voicemail with no luck finding anything.
It doesn't look like T-Mobile will allow WiFi calling on these. Maybe they could but might think more people will buy a T-Mobile locked phone to get it than will go to another carrier if its not there. Of course their theory goes out the window (pardon the pun) when they don't offer a phone remotely close to these.

BUT I believe T-Mobile will loan a sort of mini-tower to people who have bad reception. It hooks to your router and provides a strong cell signal inside the building. The effect is the same: your calls go over the internet but the transfer happens outside the phone rather than in it. I don't know 100% if they don't do something dumb and block non T-Mobile phones, but if the reason for no WiFi calling for BYOD phones is technical and not misguided, those technical reasons wouldn't apply to BYOD phones and the mini-tower because the phone thinks its using a real tower.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3