950 XL and AT&T VVM and WiFi calling

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an AT&T branded Lumia 920 and looking to replace it with an unlocked Lumia 950 XL. If someone is using the Lumia 950 XL on AT&T can you confirm if the Visual Voicemail and WiFi Calling is working correctly. I was worried that AT&T may be doing something out of the standard that may require an AT&T branded phone in order for the VVM and WiFi calling to work correctly.

Thanks

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an AT&T branded Lumia 920 and looking to replace it with an unlocked Lumia 950 XL. If someone is using the Lumia 950 XL on AT&T can you confirm if the Visual Voicemail and WiFi Calling is working correctly. I was worried that AT&T may be doing something out of the standard that may require an AT&T branded phone in order for the VVM and WiFi calling to work correctly.

Thanks

not sure about vm however wifi calling is set up on the backend so if it is turned on your account today if the phone is capable it will be on new phone there is nothing to do on the front.

douggrif

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I also am wondering if an AT&T banded phone is needed to get WIFI Calling. I called AT&T told them I bought the 950XL phone from Microsoft and put in an AT&T SIM card. Was told that WIFI Calling should work, but after several minutes of research they could not document how to set it up on the Lumia 950XL. Could not hold longer and will have to call back.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I also am wondering if an AT&T banded phone is needed to get WIFI Calling. I called AT&T told them I bought the 950XL phone from Microsoft and put in an AT&T SIM card. Was told that WIFI Calling should work, but after several minutes of research they could not document how to set it up on the Lumia 950XL. Could not hold longer and will have to call back.

They told me WiFi calling was only for the iPhone.

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
After having them properly re-provision my phone, Visual Voicemail isn't working for me. Didn't even think to ask about WiFi Calling since that seems to bet iPhone only for now.

JimmyFal

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I did not even think to check on the VV for the Lumia 950XL when I ordered it. Imagine my HORROR when I discovered that my VV is GONE. I don't remember reading any articles here on WC warning of that either. 2016 $650 phone, and NO VV. Unbelievable. Happy to get my code to redeem for my free Continuum Dock that will arrive in "TEN TO TWELVE WEEKS."

Last edited by a moderator:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought losing VVM was a big hurt. Until several folks on here described Youmail.com + ISeeVM app.

Much better than ATT VVM. Much better. Even the free level of features is really cool.
Takes just moments to get it up and running on a Dual SIM 950XL.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Dual SIM windows phones don't support VVM but it's basically all word of mouth because Microsoft refuses to make an official statement on the issue.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Did you call ATT or whatever your carrier is about your VM? I had to call ATT to setup my new SIM card and they had to reactivate my VM. No VVM yet but he said ATT is working on it.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Heads up as I see people going back and forth about working vs not working VM and then VVM. VM (standard voice mail) works fine as can be. VVM (visual voice mail) does not. Ultimate test of this (as other have said this is associated with the OS not handling VVM on dual sim Win Phone models both current and past). I will hopefully in next couple days have second sim populated with service (both from ATT as it turns out). So.. Both from ATT both with VVM service capability on the accounts but no doubt VVM will not work on either (even if it was a conflict of SIM 1 vs SIM 2 not having same settings for VVM, this would solve that as they would both be using the same APNs for everything and same voice mail).

Side note, I went from ATT 920 to unlocked 950 XL. Didn't use old SIM, had our company rep (inside company and ATT rep at ATT) provision a new SIM. Placed sim in the phone, turned it on fort he first time, and had LTE instantly and perfectly work standard voice mail, texting and hotspot functionality. Old 920 with no active SIM was tested as a client to hotspot functionality of the 950 XL, I could browse faster in Edge browser on the 920 connected via hotspot then I ever could natively with working LTE (same plan, connecting to same towers as I tested this at same physical location right after we had the SIM for the 950 XL provisioned).

Note worthy yet, as others noted before, LTE/4G will change out during calls/etc. But no performance impact noticed while it is happening or before/after it happens. Also forced the phone to sync with service provider for APN settings (says it updated, no change in 4G/LTE/etc). Will see what days bring on the network if their system sweeps through and changes anything.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Note worthy yet, as others noted before, LTE/4G will change out during calls/etc. But no performance impact noticed while it is happening or before/after it happens. Also forced the phone to sync with service provider for APN settings (says it updated, no change in 4G/LTE/etc). Will see what days bring on the network if their system sweeps through and changes anything.

LTE is strictly Data...
4g is voice. thats why calls are ALWAYS on 4g, unless its VOIP... thats a different story tho.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
LTE is strictly Data...
4g is voice. thats why calls are ALWAYS on 4g, unless its VOIP... thats a different story tho.

VoLTE is the future and more and more phones will have it. My wife's iPhone has it. Just a matter of time before we commonly refer to calls over LTE (even though it's technically incorrect)

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I read in one post pointing to a Microsoft quote that VVM will not work with a dual SIM phone. As most of us only got the Dual SIM phone in the US because that is the only one for sale in the US, I sure hope Microsoft and ATT figure out a way to fix that. I would be fine with an option in the OS to disable the second SIM so that it operated as a single SIM phone, personally.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
LTE is strictly Data...
Yeah, just not used to the OS switching the status during a call.

Side note, LTE is gone. ATT network caught up to my real IMEI they used to provision it I guess and network update disabled it. Hot spot and standard voice mail still work though, and even without LTE I am OK for a while. Will see if they get everything setup right so the 950 XL IMEIs don't have LTE pulled.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, just not used to the OS switching the status during a call.

Side note, LTE is gone. ATT network caught up to my real IMEI they used to provision it I guess and network update disabled it. Hot spot and standard voice mail still work though, and even without LTE I am OK for a while. Will see if they get everything setup right so the 950 XL IMEIs don't have LTE pulled.

Do a speed test. Mine didnt say LTE for a while, but i was definitely getting LTE speeds..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion