MS Hello - you have to be kidding.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The first thing they do when training your 950XL is tell you to take your glasses off.

Then they proceed to give you text instructions on the screen! If I could read text on the screen, I wouldn't have glasses. The next time they aren't struggling with chewing gum and walking at the same time, can someone at MS tell the people responsible for Hello that the phone has text to speech built in!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ehh you don't have to take your glasses off when setting up windows hello. In fact it encourages you to provide alternate profiles, like you with glasses on and in different light settings.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ehh you don't have to take your glasses off when setting up windows hello. In fact it encourages you to provide alternate profiles, like you with glasses on and in different light settings.

If it DOES even do that, it doesn't do it until after you do it without your glasses. Of course anyone with half a brain would TRY doing it with glasses on before complaining.

BeyondGrave

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Luckily I have contacts :grin: Set it up without my glasses originally. I take my contacts out at night and put on my glasses so I figured it'd be a good time to improve recognition, but to my surprise, it unlocked with my glasses on before I had a chance. Super impressed by that since reviews have been saying its terrible with glasses on. And I have a HIGH prescription. My contacts are -10/-9.5 (which is why I don't like to wear my coke bottle glasses :grin: The only issues I've had are more due lighting changes, but with enough runs to improve recognition, I feel like it won't be a problem.

Still on the fence in terms of keeping the 950XL for various reasons, but Windows Hello isn't one of them.

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I am near-sighted so taking off my glasses doesn't bother me. Windows Hello is working flawlessly with my glasses on.

I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would like that when I pick up my phone iris scanner could start trying, instead of requiring me to press a button. Maybe if double tap to wake eventually appears I won't have the same opinion.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It's fine for me as a near-sighted person, lol. And it works great when I am wearing my glasses, so far just takes about less than a second to recognize me and unlocked the screen.

SunMan

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It's really not that damn serious. I took mine off and held it very close. I am blind as a freaking bat. No issue at all.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've trained it under a few different lighting locations, even walking around in the same room, in the car, in the dark.
It can now detect my eyes in pitch dark, though I have to hold it fairly close to my face in that particular situation.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.

Wow, I'm nearsighted and I can read everything easily at normal distance without my contacts or glasses. It's when I'm wearing them that I have a hard time reading things at a normal distance. You must be really nearsighted! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills