Custom ringtone?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm being dumb but how come I can't set my global ringtone to a custom one? I downloaded the ringtone I used on my 930 to the ringtone folder on device AND created one on SD for good measure but I can't pick it from the list!

Maybe it knows it's the Nokia one and blocking it hahaha, but seriously... I rebooted too but it's not showing on the list. Groove music can play it but I can't long press and say Set as Ringtone

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well this isn't the perfect solution.. Download ringtone maker, use that to make the song into a ringtone (even if it already is), save it and try adding as ringtone

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't that, it didn't show up in ringtone maker either.

It was cause there were nothing in the tags, like title, artist, album, so I just typed in some info into the tags and it shows up now!

Thanks for helping me get the solution!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Aha the phone must not have recognized it previously, because of that.. I use mediamonkey to help out with that

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I just copied all the ringtones I had on my laptop to my 950xl and it doesn't find them.
Same files as I had on my 1520 running latest W10 build so no idea why they don't show up on the 950 xl.

Anyone had any luck?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ringtones seem to work (mostly) for me. It picked them up from a ringtones folder on the internal storage. Though adding a new one yesterday it still doesnt see it. Setting a custom ringtone works for me globally and for individual contacts. However, my roadblock has been with setting custom text sounds for individual contacts. So far I've been unsuccessful in it working even with a custom one selected. As well, when scrolling through my text sounds (from within a contact in the people hub) the UI is very buggy and actually crashes while scrolling through the various sounds. Sometimes I get far enough to set a sound I want but won't actually use it when receiving a text from that person. I assume this is an OS bug.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just copied all the ringtones I had on my laptop to my 950xl and it doesn't find them.
Same files as I had on my 1520 running latest W10 build so no idea why they don't show up on the 950 xl.

Anyone had any luck?

Ringtones seem to work (mostly) for me. It picked them up from a ringtones folder on the internal storage. Though adding a new one yesterday it still doesnt see it.

Hey guys, missed my post earlier, it's because of the blank music tags, probably title... :

It was cause there were nothing in the tags, like title, artist, album, so I just typed in some info into the tags and it shows up now!

scaldinghotcarl

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Here's the problem I'm having. I download something to my computer, or already have it there. Throw in it onedrive. Download from onedrive to my ringtones folder on the phone. Go to sounds and then to messaging, or whatever. The notification sound dropdown box will list all of the default, or ****, sounds and then the few I have from zedge. It doesn't however recognize the ones that I've downloaded from onedrive and put in the same folder. The bitrate is different, but is that why it won't let me? I have two sims in my phone and would very much like to have separate sounds for each sim. But why can't I just 'apply as' from a mp3 file in the file explorer? Seems that win10 still needs that final polish.

ubo69

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
On my 950 XL my MP3s were only recognized when I copied them in the ringtones folder of the phone memory via my computer, i.e. over the USB connection. It did not work with the file manager on the phone. That had copied the files alright, but they were not recognized in the the phone's settings. However after copying them from my computer over USB they were recognized instantly.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a dual sim 950 XL on AT&T. I have both Ringtone Pro and Ringtone maker. When I either download a ringtone (Pro) or create one (Maker), I have the option of setting that ringtone as my master directly after the download or creation and they show up in my list.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
On my 950 XL my MP3s were only recognized when I copied them in the ringtones folder of the phone memory via my computer, i.e. over the USB connection. It did not work with the file manager on the phone. That had copied the files alright, but they were not recognized in the the phone's settings. However after copying them from my computer over USB they were recognized instantly.

As far as I can remember, this has always been the case with Windows phones. 1) Custom ringtones must be stored on your device, not SD card. They must be in a folder called 'Ringtones' and 2) you must transfer them via USB, you cannot download directly to that folder or move from another folder or SD card. If you follow these 'rules' you eliminate the need to install additional software.

I use custom tones for ALL my alerts on my 950 XL DS with no problems since day one.

Last edited:

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup....the comments made that ringtones need to be transferred via USB from computer is correct. The only way I can get a ringtone to work if not using a computer for transfer is to use an app (Ringtone Maker for example) to "reconvert" the audio directly on the phone. This is the case for both my Lumia 930 & 950XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99