MMS on AT&T

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I discovered today that multimedia content, i.e. pictures, weren't downloading in messages.

I found the instructions at AT&T regarding unlocked phones.

Create and enable an MMS APN in Settings > Network and Wireless > Cellular & SIM > SIM 1 settings.

Profile name: [whatever you like]
APN: phone
Username, password: [blank]
Type of sign-in info: None
IP type: IPv4v6
Proxy server: proxy.mobile.att.net
Proxy port: 80
MMSC (URL): http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMSC port: [blank]
Maximum MMS size (KB): 600
Apply and save.

Reference: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2FKB424489%3Fsource%3Dredirect&token=XEKKJANE

Last edited:

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
mine did not need any manual config all MMS come in and I can send out with no issues by simply putting my nano sim in that originally came with my iPhone 6 plus which I have used in my nexus 6p and blackberry priv , and now this with no issues. Do we know why some folks require manual vs auto settings being pulled down from the sim and network?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It might be because I waited until I had everything setup, backup restored and verified it was working well, before I moved the sim card from my old phone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
And.. apparently it worked exactly once. I've got outbound texts with picture and video attachments that can't send, my wife has an inbound that won't download. This is getting frustrating.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue with TMobile when I got the XL.... I ended up having to remove the APN settings and it just worked. Try removing the MMS APN and see if that fixes things.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Btw, ATT tech support has ZERO interest getting this to work. I don't know the unlocked phone paradigm will ever catch on in the US if this is the kind of crap hoops we have to jump through.

[edit... if you are not on an ATT branded phone, they do not guarantee you will have a data connection AT ALL.]

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it is related to the manufacturer of the phone, rather than anything else. I switched from an AT&T branded 2013 Moto X to an unbranded Moto X Pure Edition and didn't have to do anything with APNs. I simply swapped the SIM and everything worked.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
...and today it's fixed by deleting the APN I created yesterday. Wonder if it will break again tomorrow.

My current speculation is that every time ATT decides to sell a particular hardware, they load their system with the entire IMEI range for that model. That would explain why for example an unbranded RM-877 has no issues but an RM-1116 does, ATT has no idea yet what a RM-1116 is.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I had no problem bumping the message size up to 2048. That's the default for iPhone, so the network can handle it. But ultimately, spoofing a contract IMEI was the magic wand that fixed everything for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3