950 XL & DT-903 charger extremely slow

caveryis

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been finding that my 950xl is charging extremely slowly on my dt903 QI charger.

I placed it on the charger at 11:30pm with 40% charge. I left it until 7:00am this morning a full 7.5 hours and now it has 81% charge. Obviously something isn't right.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
If it is still discharging a lot, it will charge slower. Also... my phone took 2 days to stop acting like its battery sucked, it was doing so much background stuff... in the end it had downloaded 10+ gigs over wifi which will whack the battery something fierce. Add to that all the processing its doing to get things set up and you can see why. Also the battery is very big...

I cannot vouch for QI chargers... however i know they are typically more of a trickle charger compared to the charger it came with to fast charge it, where it charges at like 60 - 70% / hour ...
A__0B79.jpg

Last edited:

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It's a problem with w10m more than anything else I guess. Since I moved to w10m my 930 which used to charge at a normal pace with the wireless charger is now terribly slow.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thought it was just me. My DT-903 charges it very slowly. And on top of that my 950XL heats up like I left the screen on all night after overnight charging. Sucks because I just got rid of my DT-910 for an other DT-903.

caveryis

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine also gets very hot when using the DT-903. I just tried manually disabling WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. while charging on the 903 and it definitely is a little faster, not much though.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
So, my XL went from 57 to 71% in exactly a half hour. The battery is approximately 3,400 mah, 14% of 3,400 is 476 mah in a half hour or 950 mah in an hour. Not bad at all, 3-4 hours from empty to full. The phone gets only slightly warm when on this charger, if it is getting HOT something is going on with the processor in the background like a big download or a bug in the OS. Also, I think if the coil in the pad and the coil in the phone back are misalligned a lot the may be some additional heat and lower energy transfer efficiency - lower charge rate...

http://1drv.ms/21m87GR
http://1drv.ms/21m8a5m

After another 30 minutes.

http://1drv.ms/1IqQnhT

And at 11:01 it reached 97%

http://1drv.ms/1XzVdQT

100% and light off at 11:07, so 57% to 100% in 1 hour, 36 minutes

Last edited:

douggrif

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I also have the Lumia 950XL. I have used the DT-903 for over a week and was very satisfied with the charge rate although the phone did get pretty warm. However, yesterday and today the phone seems to only charge when the phone is cool. Let it get hot and I don't see much charging or at time there is no charging based on the percent of battery charge indicator.

I will continue to monitor and report if changed.

(update: I uninstalled my "Battery" app by Enless Soft Ltd and reinstalled it. Now the "Battery" app shows 100% app and in the phone Settings, System, Battery Saver, Overview heading at top of that screen! I had tried yesterday to upgrade the "Battery" app to pro and got an error from the developer saying a problem existed on their end preventing the upgrade. I just tried upgrading to the pro ad-free version and got the same message after another attempt. However, the "Battery" app still shows 100% and so does the Settings screen. I wonder if the phone was always at 100% but not showing it or reporting inaccurately to the "Battery" app?)

(update: Still the same problem. I charged it to 100% via the USB-C connector yesterday evening. I played podcasts unconnected during the whole night. This morning the battery showed 39%. Arriving at work the wireless charger (D-903) once again got the phone pretty warm and the charge indicated stayed the same. I removed the 950xl to cool and even turned it off. I noticed the battery charge indicator would jump a couple of percent after I turned the phone on. Then back on the wireless charger and again no change. Repeat removing it. Same jump later on when turned back on. Noticed the bluetooth wireless charger was "paired" not connected so I manually clicked it to connect which it did. So far I have repeated all the above steps with no change after getting the wireless charger to show connected with the same results. I still suspect the phone may actually be charged far greater than is shown but haven't had the time to test further.)

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My experience with these chargers has been odd. The phone gets extremely warm. Also doesn't charge that quickly (though my L1520 didn't either). I find that it loses settings quite often from the gadgets app meaning I'm constantly having to go back into the app to turn on the brightness of the charging pad or turn on the flashing notifications. And I find I have to be very specific in terms of phone placement on the pad. If I place it far forward it keeps making some sound effect that's really annoying. I assume it's a sound connected to it charging? It keeps repeating the sound if I don't place the phone exactly where it likes it. Same with the screen.. It won't go off or it will dim and then come back on and repeats that over and over unless I place it perfectly.

Pretty annoying.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been finding that my 950xl is charging extremely slowly on my dt903 QI charger.

I placed it on the charger at 11:30pm with 40% charge. I left it until 7:00am this morning a full 7.5 hours and now it has 81% charge. Obviously something isn't right.

Anyone else having similar issues?

I had this a couple of times with my 950XL and a DT-900. Charge in the morning in the 80-90% range, and phone quite hot. Looks like some runaway process is using power almost as fast as the charger can supply it. If anyone figures out what causes this please post, because it's one of the reasons I returned my otherwise pretty great XL.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the backup active on your phones? In my case I've noticed that most of the times my 950 XL on a DT-900 charges reasonably fast and doesn't get too hot, but sometimes it does. When it does I can see that an automatic backup took place during the night, transferring 1.3 GB of data. Depending on the data upload speed, it can take several hours, consume battery and put the phone under stress.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the backup active on your phones? In my case I've noticed that most of the times my 950 XL on a DT-900 charges reasonably fast and doesn't get too hot, but sometimes it does. When it does I can see that an automatic backup took place during the night, transferring 1.3 GB of data. Depending on the data upload speed, it can take several hours, consume battery and put the phone under stress.
Interesting theory, the charger was about as far from my wifi router as it could be, and I have a ~240MB backup and a ~500MB daily download (vodcast, with Podcast Lounge), so maybe the combination of large download and bad reception (and charger interference with wifi?) is what did it.

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a 950XL and have charged it various ways. With the USB-C connector, attached to a PC USB and idle,

here are some charging stats:

56% - 1122am
56% - 1132am
56% - 1142am
55% - 1147am WTF? yes it went down whilst connected
56% - 1155am
56% - 1201pm
55% - 1204pm - yes it went down whilst connected, disconnected from USB

This is so bizarre

last night, I temporarily tried wireless charging which made the phone heat up quickly and stopped charging, possible bad contact...

I charged it last night with a wall charger and it got warm whist charging.

So i placed an external fan next to the phone to cool it down, it seemed to charge faster, this appeared to be a possible SOLUTION to assist the phone in charging faster.
(cool phone down to assist it to charge)

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I can totally support this observation!

Running two 3 coil QI chargers which very often overheat and so slow down charging speed (ampere) to a very low level ending up in super slow charges. This can have various reasons I am currently trying to figure out with various tests (I've never had issue with non-linear QI charging using Lumia 930, 1020, 920).

Now what always works to get the perfect linear 3:30 hrs charge with the Lumia 950 XL is active USB cooling!
Without active cooling the surface temperature of the phone is 37?C and the temperature between charger and phone back 34?C. Nevertheless it still seems to hot for the phone / firmware to charge full speed.

Will also test the USB-C charging linearity soon as the phone gets warmer than QI charging with fast charge.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm facing the same issue of overheating and slow charging on my 950 XL with both DT-901 Fatboy and DT-903. Both my older 1520 and 920 do not have this issue. I'm not sure if it's hardware or OS problem.

sluggish_user

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I think it's common for phones to be warm when charged by Qi chargers. But 950xl is too warm that it often stop charging to cool it down, that's why it's slow. My solution is to put the charger right under the wireless charging module, it works for my 950xl

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My DT-903 took 7 hours to charge the phone from 35% to 80%. And the charging plate feels more like a hot plate. It's an induction cooker to cook my phone rather than an induction charger to charge my phone.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it's just a 950xl issue with the DT-903, because I'm not having any issues with the DT-903 charging my Lumia 950. My L950 charges from 10% to 100% in around the 3hrs 30minute mark, and only gets warm to the touch, not hot, as other's have mentioned.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
After no success by solving the overheating, slow charge problems with a single coil Anker QI charger I tried my 3 coil flat easychee charger yesterday. Massive overheating within 3 hours. 45?C.

Then tonight I saw news that the DT-904 charger is finally available and ordered it. I would be surprised if that charger solves any problem (as then all my 4 other chargers would be "defective").

It must be a software or hardware issue with the 950 XL. For a minute I thought about the build in heatpipe which could negatively interfere with QI charging if the pipe material is magnetic. But copper is only magnetic under certain circumstances (alloy).

My best guess is still the phones QI charging behavior which might be broken. It draws up to 9W out of my QI chargers while it only supports 6 (5+1 watts).

When I do my charge tests I am always running everything off (apps, flight mode, no gps, etc.).

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it's just a 950xl issue with the DT-903, because I'm not having any issues with the DT-903 charging my Lumia 950. My L950 charges from 10% to 100% in around the 3hrs 30minute mark, and only gets warm to the touch, not hot, as other's have mentioned.

Thats very promising :) 3:30 is exactly the charging time the phone should achieve via QI 5 watts standard.

Do you usually get these charging times ? Like 3:30 to 4:00 hours ?
Which OS version are you running ?
Do you pay a lot of attention on positioning the device on the charger ?
Do you use the stock back cover ?

Lets assume that you indeed always have these charge times and we run the same OS version, firmware, QI charger then my and others 950 XL might be defective (hardware).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3