Lumia 950 XL Random Reboots

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Although it's very unpopular to say this at WC forums, MS is pretty clear that they don't want anything to do with Lumia line and they bet only on some mythical future paradigm shift. They don't make those phones anymore, they lower the prices constantly trying to get rid of them from stores. Absolutely no real support, no accessories like batteries. And on top of that, even if you go to a store the phones are hidden somewhere in the corner (if they're there at all).
I was always a big fan of Windows phones and I even spent another $300 and bought another Lumia 950XL just because of this unfortunate battery. However as soon as this one breaks there's no other way to go but with iPhone or Android. That's the truth. Or you can keep buying new phones, from Acer, HP or whatever daredevil is going to make them in 6 months. If you're stubborn you can hold on to this system for many years to come. After all, we have almost 2017 and you can still buy a Blackberry for instance. But does it make it a smart choice? It's your decision...

I did manage to source a replacement battery, the correct one it seems this time, on eBay. Yes, eBay again. The numbers all match up, verified with the seller. Hope its the fix, because the first one I got was not genuine and would charge slowly, then invariably drain quickly. I'll post the guys eBay info when it gets here and I test it correctly.

SiGuy1988

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I had the random reboot issue on my 950. I perused several boards looking for a solution. It's definitely battery related. I didn't want to buy a aftermarket battery on eBay. One guy on another thread suggested that the battery contacts are the issue. When picking up and moving my phone is when I notice the most reset. The fix for me was ingenious. About a 6 inch by 6 inch piece of paper folded in half a few times placed between the battery and the back panel. This damn piece of paper has corrected all my problems. The back panel on the 950 is weak and allows the battery to lose contact. After I put this piece of paper in there, my phone no longer resets, crazy right. Not a troll attempt, if you're having the reset issue, try it.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My 950 XL started random reboot after upgrade to 10.0.14393.189. Not notice any reboot before this.
this has been my experience as well. the latest update, 15007, hasn't made it any better. of course it all could be coincidence and it isn't software related.

Mine has become basically unusable. It'll stay up anywhere from ~5-20 minutes and then the screen will freeze temporarily, go black and then reboot. Doesn't matter whether I'm doing anything with it or it's sitting idle on the table.

The odd thing though is that I was able to get the 15007 update earlier yesterday and that takes like ~25 minutes to run. If this issue isn't software related when in normal boot state, then why did that manage to complete without the glitch??

I've tried the folded paper against the battery trick mentioned above and that's done nothing for me.

I have a couple batteries on the way and I hope that's the fix as it has been for some. I do fear though that I somehow flexed the case like I did with my old 1520 and it made some etch or component connection intermittent. :straight:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
this has been my experience as well. the latest update, 15007, hasn't made it any better. of course it all could be coincidence and it isn't software related.

Mine has become basically unusable. It'll stay up anywhere from ~5-20 minutes and then the screen will freeze temporarily, go black and then reboot. Doesn't matter whether I'm doing anything with it or it's sitting idle on the table.

The odd thing though is that I was able to get the 15007 update earlier yesterday and that takes like ~25 minutes to run. If this issue isn't software related when in normal boot state, then why did that manage to complete without the glitch??
I wouldn't rule out software issues. For me the 15007 update made my 950XL unusable. A spontaneous reboot every 10-15 minutes. For me going to settings > system > about > more info > reset your phone (will erase everything!) and then restoring from a recent backup got rid of all the reboots. Not a single spontaneous reboot in over 24h. So clearly not ALL cases of reboots are due to the battery.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't rule out software issues. For me the 15007 update made my 950XL unusable.
I suggest people who are on Windows IP look at this thread, about 15007 and reboots. I've now uninstalled Facebook and Facebook Messenger based on someone's suggestion there. And am going through the (lengthy!) background app list in System Settings and turning off stuff I don't need. We'll see.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't rule out software issues. For me the 15007 update made my 950XL unusable. A spontaneous reboot every 10-15 minutes. For me going to settings > system > about > more info > reset your phone (will erase everything!) and then restoring from a recent backup got rid of all the reboots. Not a single spontaneous reboot in over 24h. So clearly not ALL cases of reboots are due to the battery.
I agree. My phone in production builds had been rebooting quite regularly. Since jumping in the slow ring a few days back I have not encountered a single random reboot.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
FWIW. I don't want to jinx it...but... since I've uninstalled Facebook and Messenger, I haven't had a reboot in over 2.5 hours. Hmmm.

(running 15007)

Edit: it's now been over two days without any unwanted reboots. It looks like removing Facebook and its kin, Messenger did the trick for me. I'll likely try and reinstall them one at a time sometime in the future and see what happens. Unfortunately my nephews use Messenger or I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey There,

its funny, my 950Xl was put aside, and sometimes I charged it, updated, but not used... Never had any battery issues though.

Now I am back on the latest release and although in Windows it says the battery is at 50% it stops and show the icon for the charging, does not even start. but when I put the charging cable in, it shows immediately 50%...

so I guess the software somehow managed to mess up the battery info, somehow I will try to reset it....

and yes random reboots, although I havent had those in the past

So microsoft managed to mess up the battery through software...

amazing.

CRDeveloper

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I suggest people who are on Windows IP look at this thread, about 15007 and reboots. I've now uninstalled Facebook and Facebook Messenger based on someone's suggestion there. And am going through the (lengthy!) background app list in System Settings and turning off stuff I don't need. We'll see.

it worked for mine as well...

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I did manage to source a replacement battery, the correct one it seems this time, on eBay. Yes, eBay again. The numbers all match up, verified with the seller. Hope its the fix, because the first one I got was not genuine and would charge slowly, then invariably drain quickly. I'll post the guys eBay info when it gets here and I test it correctly.

If you or anyone else who manages to find a -genuine- battery would mind sharing the source, that would be great. I just received one from a high-rated seller on eBay, but when it gets down to ~50% the phone goes black. I'll try and cycle it a few more times and give it a chance, but I'm not optimistic.

Edit: the one from eBay appears to work now on the latest build, 15014. And this other one from Amazon, is an OEM with all the right markings that works well for me.

Last edited:

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issues since the last production build. Thought initially it was the sd card, but it isn't. Think I might go back to the fast ring since I'm getting reboots anyways :| pretty frustrating

Rehan Mustafa Khan

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Even I was facing Random Reboot issue especially when Battery Level reaches 40%. I realized that battery was buldged out. Now I have submitted my battery for replacement as it was still under warranty.
But I am still waiting for new battery since 13th Jan and still not replaced and b2x support team have also taken my old battery. As per them it will take another 10 days. Now I am on my Old and Broken Lumia 920 till I get my battery replaced:unhappy::unhappy::unhappysweat:

Dean Petrovici

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Had the same issues with my 950XL. So far, I have 2 suspects: the size of the battery and LTE.
I added some paper between the battery and the back cover and set the max connection speed to 3G. So far, no restarts and no overheating (the phone is now cool as a cucumber...).

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
It must be the battery as I just tried a replacement battery since the .297 CU for the CrU and I was a bit taken back to see how all the talk about speed improvements were actually there in front of me but.............it then shutdown!!!!I put back in the orig and the speed boost was gone it was back to its usual self again and I'm still with the restarts and the shutdowns with this battery. Waiting on my 3rd test battery to see if 3rd time's the charm. Don't understand how a battery is so influential to an OS update that before the improvements to the OS, the battery was perfectly fine for what came as stock when the phone was bought.

Is this more evidence of MS's incompetence?

derrieger

May 17, 2017
Visit site
First off, I'm new here, so please bear with me. Also, I didn't read the whole thread, so "my" solution may have been added by several people, before.
I just wanted to say, that the "battery reboot" thing was real for me. My 950XL rebooted several times a day, depending on usage. Including on locking or unlocking, during phone calls, receiving phone calls (not answered yet). I put all apps into internal storage, switched off BT and WLAN (which is none-sense in the year 2017), did a reset/refresh, everything. I even inserted a new SD card and thought about ordering a new SIM.

Then, after receiving a "compatible" battery as MS was unable to deliver an original one, the reboots were completely gone. The old battery was indeed a very little bit bent / uneven. Almost not notifiable.

I just wanted to add that for the one user out there who - like me - just doesn't believe in a slightly bent battery looking perfectly healthy but causing a smartphone to randomly crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro