Lumia 950XL first look problems

Me Again1

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I got my 950XL 2 days ago and very disappointed!
First problem I was getting is notifications, but I found Quiet Hours is enabled by default and set for 24 hours.
Second problem is no way to configure dedicated ringtone notification for each email account on the phone. Only one ringtone for all email accounts.
Third problem is heating room when using phone for long time or when it is charging. You can keep your coffee warm, using 950XL.
New problem is MS idea to combine Cortana and SMS laud reading SMS messages over Bluetooth. I never used and never will use Cortana. But on W10 SMS-to-BT doesn't work without Cortana enabled. For Cortana all services, like Location, microphone and many others must be enabled for Cortana to work. It drains battery VERY quick!
Additional to it, Cortana doesn't like to work with car microphones and couldn't understand commands.
It would be very nice to be able to disable Bluetooth MAP protocol and prevent phone send SMS messages to car displays, where driver should should switch attention from the road.
I'm using WP's since 2003 and really like them, but released 950XL pushed me and my friends return phones and continue to use our old 1520's and 920's until MS will make some changes and bug fixes.
Unfortunately, 950 model is not ready for users yet.

Starwave

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Quiet Hours on my phone was I believe disabled by default, and the time set from 11PM to 7AM.
I haven't experienced any heating issue while charging. My 950 XL is not warm at all while charging. I haven't used it continuously for longer periods yet, but I would assume it would get warm, as with (almost) all devices.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
No quiet hours problems with my 950XL out of the box, but it did run pretty hot for a day or two but now no probs with heat. Some speculate the heat coming from the phone updating and initial set-up. Loving my 950XL so far.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't get any notifications from my apps. None of them even appear in the area to determine what kind of notifications to receive.

Have you opened any of the apps? The app needs to be ran at least once for them to show up in that area and start sending notifications

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Have you opened any of the apps? The app needs to be ran at least once for them to show up in that area and start sending notifications

I would 'somewhat' agree with your statement. I think they need to be opened and actually have a notification try to push. They are slowly showing up again, I appreciate the insight!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
First problem I was getting is notifications, but I found Quiet Hours is enabled by default and set for 24 hours
I didn't have notifications, but because one of my GMail accounts couldn't authenticate the password it kept nagging me to fix it even when it was during quiet hours. I ended up removing the account for now.

Second problem is no way to configure dedicated ringtone notification for each email account on the phone. Only one ringtone for all email accounts.
I didn't get around to this yet, but that's terrible. I don't want notification sounds for my junk email account.

Third problem is heating room when using phone for long time or when it is charging. You can keep your coffee warm, using 950XLtt
It's been pretty warm for me too.

New problem is MS idea to combine Cortana and SMS laud reading SMS messages over Bluetooth. I never used and never will use Cortana. But on W10 SMS-to-BT doesn't work without Cortana enabled. For Cortana all services, like Location, microphone and many others must be enabled for Cortana to work. It drains battery VERY quick

I think you can change it so that she doesn't read it over BT. Or, you may be able to disable it by forcing it to only read when connected to a wired headset. Cortana is great though, so I'd recommend you really give it a go.

Additional to it, Cortana doesn't like to work with car microphones and couldn't understand commands

This might be specific to your car's set up. It works very well on my Prius and understands even while driving at highway speeds.

It would be very nice to be able to disable Bluetooth MAP protocol and prevent phone send SMS messages to car displays, where driver should should switch attention from the road

Regarding the SMS on your car's display, that's dependent on your car's set up. On the Prius, there is an option to disable the SMS notification.

While I agree that the 950XL has been buggy, some of your complaints aren't the phone's fault. Tinker with the settings - it's all new to me since I've been on 8.1, but also been on the iPhone for the past year. Again, give Cortana a shot. So much better than Siri...

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you go to notifications and background apps and the corresponding app is checked on for notifications and to work in the background or they won't get to you.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you go to notifications and background apps and the corresponding app is checked on for notifications and to work in the background or they won't get to you.

Do basic system apps like Mail and Messaging need to be set to run in the background? This was never needed in 8.1. I've only been running W10 mobile on my L830 for a day now and no issues with texts initially, but now I'm not getting any text notifications or sounds. My primary Hotmail account never syncs on it's own either no matter what settings I select.

I'll try allowing these apps to run in the background and see if it helps. Thanks.

Adodado

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday i recieved my lumia 950xl... at first was very good and very interesting....after a while issue started... first camera it is not like presented from Juha Alakarhu ... missing "choose best lightning"... photos are not soo sharp... sometimes needs 10-15 second to rich mode make final photo... sometimes writes on black screen " this photo cant be opened (number of photo).rich.L.jpg .... every time I restart phone issue come out with storage, "there is not enough storage" while there is 25Gb... before second hard reset there was issue whit iris scanner... I could bypass it with dedicate camera button... make camer ON and then main screen button...

If someone from MICROSOFT is reading this article... please check all this .. tnx

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Do basic system apps like Mail and Messaging need to be set to run in the background? This was never needed in 8.1. I've only been running W10 mobile on my L830 for a day now and no issues with texts initially, but now I'm not getting any text notifications or sounds. My primary Hotmail account never syncs on it's own either no matter what settings I select.

I'll try allowing these apps to run in the background and see if it helps. Thanks.

Open the mail app, then tap the "..." In the task bar. Choose settings. In the newest build, .29, choose the notifications menu item. When it opens, make sure the boxes for "Show a notification banner" and "Play a sound" are checked. Do this for all accounts on the device if you have multiple. The drop down box at the top of the screen will allow you to select through the accounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3