Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Due to the problems that have not been fixed when going from 1520 to the 950xl I plan on selling it or returning it back to microsoft. Anyone else considering doing the same or am I just being too nitpicky with an OS that should have been completed by now.

Last edited:

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else doing the same? Getting the display dock tomorrow from UPS and then its going up on craigslist.

Good luck with that. I would be surprised if you get anything extra for it since it is going to be available reasonably soon at the Microsoft store. Hopefully you'll make your money back on the phone and then perhaps you can get a little extra for the dock. Considering the education discount is $65 you probably have more money in it already than some people will be able to buy a new one for.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Huh? Why can't you just return it? I'm sure it's not too late to return, or would you rather just sell it anyway?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am on the fence too.
Should be worth $200 more than I paid for it.
I don't remember the 1520 being soo glitchy and slow on release.
I was really hoping to be much more impressed, blown away.
But instead I am left wondering if I paid too much for something I didn't really need.
Hoping the dock performs as expected, and gives me the experience I was looking for.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just returned mine and even tried to cancel the display dock, but they wouldn't let me. I guess I will put it up on eBay or give it away. I also have some screen protectors and a qi charger to deal with thanks to this dumb phone.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but the phone is not worth $200 over retail. I'd be surprised if you even got the retail price for it. My bet, $100 below retail because of open box.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Lots of fickle people in this world. I can't imagine anybody actually buying a 950XL without already knowing what to expect, with a not-yet-ready OS in addition to the normal bugs and glitches to be expected with a new high-end device. The only way anybody even knew it existed was from reading about it on sites like this one. It's not as if any site hid the issues with the OS. And then being so impatient as to get rid of it less than a week later because the experience is less than perfect. I just don't get it.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Lots of fickle people in this world. I can't imagine anybody actually buying a 950XL without already knowing what to expect, with a not-yet-ready OS in addition to the normal bugs and glitches to be expected with a new high-end device. The only way anybody even knew it existed was from reading about it on sites like this one. It's not as if any site hid the issues with the OS. And then being so impatient as to get rid of it less than a week later because the experience is less than perfect. I just don't get it.

You only have 30 days to get rid of it without eating the cost. You really can't even use it during that time because if it breaks, you can't return it either. Easier to return now and buy it again if the problems are fixed, maybe at a lower cost. But I've used windows phone long enough not to count on an immediate fix. Plus this is the most I've spent on a phone, and I expect no frustration for the price.

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
all phones have issues. from what i have read most of the 950/950xl issues can be solved with software updates. i have a galaxy s6. it kept freezing just kept spamming back after a few weeks, had it replaced now this new one has noise when taking videos and back button sometimes doesnt work. over $700 for a phone from a company that has been making phones for a long time and i am still getting issues

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
no phone is ever worth more than what you paid for it. unless its like limited edition with specs a year advance than everyone else. also if you upgrade every year then i say yes you are always paying too much for something you don't need.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
all phones have issues. from what i have read most of the 950/950xl issues can be solved with software updates. i have a galaxy s6. it kept freezing just kept spamming back after a few weeks, had it replaced now this new one has noise when taking videos and back button sometimes doesnt work. over $700 for a phone from a company that has been making phones for a long time and i am still getting issues

I don't think you should have those issues either. I bought a Lumia 640 with no issues except a case is more expensive than the phone.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
actually not making any money on it. selling it for retail. was going to return it but since its still on backorder and not shipping the next round until the 11th why not give someone else that wants it more than I do a shot at getting it before their order.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the 1520.3 and have been using wp10 on it since it was allowed on the 1520. I knew what I was getting into but the exact same problems that I had on my 1520 were also present on the 950xl while not present on a 635 I have as a test phone. Case and point, an OS shouldnt so pitifully efficient that I cant get more than 10 hours of battery life from a 3300mah battery.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm with you on this one. People that are buying a device like this are the type that visit these forums, do their research and know what they are getting into. Information is so easily available and in abundance with the internet now that finding what this phone was all about, the state of Windows 10 for mobile is like and also the reviews that are coming, people can easily make a rational decision.

Hence, if you don't like the phone, return it within 30 days and buy something that to you, is better. Just do your research and if the 950/950 XL is your dream phone, you should be willing to wait.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the 1520.3 and have been using wp10 on it since it was allowed on the 1520. I knew what I was getting into but the exact same problems that I had on my 1520 were also present on the 950xl while not present on a 635 I have as a test phone. Case and point, an OS shouldnt so pitifully efficient that I cant get more than 10 hours of battery life from a 3300mah battery.

Have you tried limiting background tasks/etc. I seem to be getting decent battery life, but I know some aren't as fortunate as I am.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried limiting background tasks/etc. I seem to be getting decent battery life, but I know some aren't as fortunate as I am.

I have. I tried disabling certain apps to see if they were drawing more power than others but the biggest draw by far was the messaging+skype app. Sat right around 55% of the usage. I noticed that other people were having problems with it also on reddit and suggested disabling the skype which I did and that had no impact. Also disabled the sms syncing/backup hoping that would solve it. no cigar...

It's just unfortunate because the hardware on paper is legit. Windows hello is quick enough to warrant using it thought maybe not as useful as a fingerprint reader because it has to be within a foot of your face. Has enough to be able to load everything straight from without any load times which when trying the various games I downloaded was usually the case, camera is on point and significantly better in low light with managing the noise than my 1520 and as well as processing the hdr photos from the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3