Iris Scanner - Eye Pain

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but after unlocking my 950 XL with windows hello, my eyes hurt a bit. Do you guys are feeling the same thing? I don't know if I should be worried.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
You should be worried and probably not use it anymore. I sometimes feel a bit strange as well afterwards especially when it doesnt work and it takes ages

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
It shines quite bright though and you have to look into it as well :) Could have used something on a different wavelength really

Seriously? Don't look at the light then....

When I set mine up, I improved the recognition a bunch of times and I looked in all directions. So now, I don't even have to look at the screen and it still recognizes me.

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All I could think about while reading thread

rxKG9WG.jpg

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure its because of the infrared LED or the stupid crazy AMOLED 518 PPI Ultra Ultra Retina Display? :p

The thing is since its near infrared, our retinas may not detect the full intensity of the light source (ie dont look directly at the sun even if it doesnt look very bright), however it would be a really huge engineering fail to not consider the LED intensity, which I doubt since if you look at the care they took to do all the other things, plastic molding (hidden gates, ejector pin nodes, parting lines, surface texture, and how good the parts look cosmetically) / oled screen integration(responsiveness/quality of the screen) / camera design (pictures are quite impressive) and just the general cleanliness of the design shows that they sweated the details ...

I will say that I don't have any issues with the infrared LED even early in the morning. Usually people are more sensitive to the other side of the spectrum (violet and UV) as infrared is thermal radiation.

I suspect it might be that the screen itself is too bright for you, try using it at 25% - 50% brightness for a few hours and see if that helps. If the red led really bothers you, you can try to hold it as far as possible from your face power is proportional the inverse distance^2... (ie 2x distance → 2^2 reduction in power/intensity)

Hope this helps.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure its because of the infrared LED or the stupid crazy AMOLED 518 PPI Ultra Ultra Retina Display? :p

The thing is since its near infrared, our retinas may not detect the full intensity of the light source (ie dont look directly at the sun even if it doesnt look very bright), however it would be a really huge engineering fail to not consider the LED intensity, which I doubt since if you look at the care they took to do all the other things, plastic molding (hidden gates, ejector pin nodes, parting lines, surface texture, and how good the parts look cosmetically) / oled screen integration(responsiveness/quality of the screen) / camera design (pictures are quite impressive) and just the general cleanliness of the design shows that they sweated the details ...

I will say that I don't have any issues with the infrared LED even early in the morning. Usually people are more sensitive to the other side of the spectrum (violet and UV) as infrared is thermal radiation.

I suspect it might be that the screen itself is too bright for you, try using it at 25% - 50% brightness for a few hours and see if that helps. If the red led really bothers you, you can try to hold it as far as possible from your face power is proportional the inverse distance^2... (ie 2x distance → 2^2 reduction in power/intensity)

Hope this helps.

I thought far infrared was thermal, not near infrared?

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but after unlocking my 950 XL with windows hello, my eyes hurt a bit. Do you guys are feeling the same thing? I don't know if I should be worried.

He may be onto something... I too have experienced the weird eye strain in my right eye. I use the Iris scan often and have recently experienced a sort of eye strain related headache... but there are many thing that may cause it.:

1) Looking at the screen for long period of time

2 ) Adapting to a new display other than my 1520

3) Unrelated to the phone and normal strain.

4 ) A hundred different things and just correlates to my acquiring the 950

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE CAUSE.. just that it may turn out that it is . Time will tell

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
He may be onto something... I too have experienced the weird eye strain in my right eye. I use the Iris scan often and have recently experienced a sort of eye strain related headache... but there are many thing that may cause it.:

1) Looking at the screen for long period of time

2 ) Adapting to a new display other than my 1520

3) Unrelated to the phone and normal strain.

4 ) A hundred different things and just correlates to my acquiring the 950

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE CAUSE.. just that it may turn out that it is . Time will tell

But lets be honest here we all know its just the high res screen, like I get it when I go from my 1080 curved display to my surface pro 3, the infrared is not powerful enough to do any damage

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My take - and I'm not a doctor - is that people tend to change behavior to accommodate the process. I find myself widening my eyes, holding them open longer, focusing on the light. I have now trained myself to focus on the smiley/text area. That's, in turn, caused me to strain less to widen my eyelids. And I have no discomfort at all. It has not decreased the accuracy either.

There is likely a psychosomatic element to this. I'm not saying for EVERYONE...there are likely tetrachromats (who can only be female as far as we know) who might find it irritating. And there are other conditions that could cause irritation, I'm sure. But for most people I'm guessing it's the 'gluten sensitivity' of phone afflictions.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think anything is actually happening to your eyes. Although, it is a bit uncomfortable for me to look into the camera as close it wants me to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3