simple mod to make DT-900 and DT-910 qi chargers work with 950XL

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had trouble getting the coils to line up last week. When I put the phone on landscape on my dt 910 stand, it would light up but very slowly charge if at all and get warm. It's hard to be consistent with lining it up just right. After many hours of thought, here is my solution. I took off the back cover to see where the center of the coil would be (just below the MS logo) and put it on the charger to see where the phone would have to line up. Binder clips worked perfectly:

Here is the phone in position charging. I put my finger above the volume up button and when I put it down, I slide it until it hits my finger so the volume up button lines up with the edge of the charger. This is how to align the 2 coils
WP_20151202_20_04_30_Rich.jpg

I used a binder clip and rubber band to attach it. There are 2 rubber wings on the bottom that catch the binder clip when it slides. It holds it in place nicely
WP_20151202_20_05_25_Rich.jpg
Next I put binder clips on the edge of the dt 900 charger in my car. I drop the phone between the clips and it holds it secure. The silver parts of the clip act as a guard to lock it in.
WP_20151202_20_11_24_Rich.jpg
Again I line up the volume up button with the edge of the charger to align.
WP_20151202_20_13_22_Rich.jpg

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's going to be difficult, since the coil has two pins that align with two points on the phone. You'd have to add wiring to make sure they're touching.

Damn, so that's not gonna work. -_- I guess I will have to remove the bottom part of my CR 200 then.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to take the DT-910 apart and raise the coils up higher so it can line up with the 950XL's charging pad??

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, the DT-900 works without a mod here.

Yes it does work, but I tend to not line it up well when I drop it down. It gets warm and slowly charges. The binder clips act as guides to make sure I align it correctly and quickly without looking. Too bad it doesn't have magnetic guides like PMA

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes it does work, but I tend to not line it up well when I drop it down. It gets warm and slowly charges. The binder clips act as guides to make sure I align it correctly and quickly without looking. Too bad it doesn't have magnetic guides like PMA

I had it warming up yesterday too and telling me that Hello had been disabled due to many failed login attempts, although lined up well. Could be due to the TPU.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I notice the dt-900 will initiate a charge easily, but if I am not precise the phone will get hot. The binder clips are the only way I can quickly ensure correct placement. I would hate to break a $650 phone because of the qi charger

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, the DT-900 works without a mod here.
It does and doesn't for me. I have two, one at home (in a powerboard) and one in the office. It charges fine in the office, when i leave it on the one at home overnight, it only charges to 60% (and that's all night). i haven't yet tested without a powerboard and plugging straight into a wall; anyone confirm that this may be the issue? I'll try tonight :p But it never happened with my 930.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having problem with DT-900 with my 950 XL. It charges very slow and phone gets overheated until charging stops with the notification light on the DT-900 blinking rapidly. After a while it starts to charge again, only to meet with another overheat. I initially left the phone on DT-900 overnight as I always do with my Lumia 1520 and the whole charge->overheat->charge cycle happened throughout the night. Sometimes, by just leaving the phone on the DT-900 for 10-15 minutes is enough to "cook" it until overheat. Sigh... I have 2X DT-900 that can't be used. I wonder if DT-903 works better.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 DT-900's they don't charge too quickly but I haven't had any problems with them overheating or not charging mine or my wife's 950. You might have a defective phone or back cover.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am having problem with DT-900 with my 950 XL. It charges very slow and phone gets overheated until charging stops with the notification light on the DT-900 blinking rapidly. After a while it starts to charge again, only to meet with another overheat. I initially left the phone on DT-900 overnight as I always do with my Lumia 1520 and the whole charge->overheat->charge cycle happened throughout the night. Sometimes, by just leaving the phone on the DT-900 for 10-15 minutes is enough to "cook" it until overheat. Sigh... I have 2X DT-900 that can't be used. I wonder if DT-903 works better.

I have no trouble with my DT-900s. Do you have a case, or a different back cover than the original? None of my chargers needed any kind of modification. Make sure when u place it on the charger, that the camera hangs freely and the back of the phone has no space between it and the charger. If the camera rests on the charger, it creates a space between the two that might cause overheating.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have no trouble with my DT-900s. Do you have a case, or a different back cover than the original? None of my chargers needed any kind of modification. Make sure when u place it on the charger, that the camera hangs freely and the back of the phone has no space between it and the charger. If the camera rests on the charger, it creates a space between the two that might cause overheating.

Well, my charger is with the FatBoy pillow. I tried removing the pillow but it's still the same. Maybe I'll need to try to let the cameras hangs freely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans